SC 430 2003 Problems. OTHERS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 08:30 AM
drlazor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 430 2003 Problems. OTHERS?

Hi all

I am a original owner of a SC430 blue convertible. I like the car, but it is starting to have lots of issues. I was wondering if other are having these.

1. The power antenna does not go up and down now.
2. I have the blue color paint on the car and it is suffering from rain spots / acid rain.
3. The trunk struts does not keep the hood open.
4. The GPF is really out of date.
5. The rims on the tires have bent.
6. The run flat tires are a POS. Went to non-run flats.

For a Lexus car I expected more. I can get these flaws with another brand.
Old 08-24-10, 09:03 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

OK just to be a wise ***. Why would the trunk struts be expected to keep the hood open? Yeah, I know, that isn't what you meant. All but the antenna issue are things you would expect to replace in that amount of time. No matter what the make. If that is all you have to complain about in 7 years of use, you should be thanking Lexus. And blue cars are a pain in all makes.
Old 08-24-10, 09:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Only #1 and #3 have anything to do with an issue with your car; the rest is normal maintenance, wear and tear or neglect /abuse by the owner.

I'd suggest trying to get your dealer to fix the antenna and struts (or help) through some sort of goodwill. Politely complain about those specific items and see if they'll help fix them. If they won't, look for aftermarket or used parts to replace them, or get discounted parts from some of our CL parts vendors. Same thing for your GPS update disk, Sewell Lexus has a very good deal here on our forum when new versions come out (usually October)

Pick up used wheels here in our classifieds or on ebay to replace your bent ones, or get them straightened.

Check out our detailing forum and learn how to care for your paint.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-10, 10:48 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2003 as well.

Yup, the trunk struts eventually fail. But, the trunk lid is pretty large and heavy so, these parts wear out. The aftermarket ones are MUCH more reasonably priced than the OEM ones.

I've also had to replace my antenna mast. Again, I went with an aftermarket one from a supplier mentioned here in a thread about replacing the antenna mast (antennasRus or something like that). It was ~$20.00 and total CAKE to install, since Lexus builds an "antenna mast replacement mode" into the stereo (most stereos DON'T have this).

I agree that the run-flats are crap...as does just-about everyone else on this board. They ride hard and wear out FAST. When they wear out, replace them with non-run-flats. I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. They're great riding, and lasted about 5 times longer than the RFT's.

I don't know of ANY manufacturer who offers "free GPS updates for life". You have a car that's 7 years old. And the maps are also 7 years old. If you need the latest and greatest, you can buy the most current map disk. Sewell (a vendor here on CL) has them for a pretty-good price. If you want the the newest, I'd recommend waiting a couple of months...the new disks come out in the fall. If you buy one today, it'll be outdated in 3 months...so wait until this fall and buy the newest.

If you just want newER maps than what you have...you can get some very good prices on a last-years or year-before's disk. Depending on where you live, this might be good enough. It will obviously be much better than the '03 maps you have now.

I do agree with you about the paint. Lexus paint is apparently VERY soft. I have a black SC430 and there are quite a few imperfections in the paint. Oh well.
Old 08-24-10, 11:24 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't tell if this is serious or not.
Old 08-24-10, 11:32 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
That was my take also. I hope people detected the tongue in cheek response I was going for. If this is all you have to complain about after 7 years you have done well.
Old 08-24-10, 11:58 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drlazor
Hi all

I am a original owner of a SC430 blue convertible. I like the car, but it is starting to have lots of issues. I was wondering if other are having these.

2. I have the blue color paint on the car and it is suffering from rain spots / acid rain.

For a Lexus car I expected more. I can get these flaws with another brand.
Welcome to the forum!
In numerical order from above:
1. Cars fault ($150 repair)
2. Mother nature's fault
3. Cars fault ($80 DIY repair)
4. Your fault
5. Your fault
6. Matter of choice - nobody's fault

So for 8 years of use, you need to spend a couple hundred bucks to correct the things that failed from the manufacturer. If you don't like the brand, try something else, and you'll see these are very reliable cars, and inexpensive to maintain.
Old 08-24-10, 01:24 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's both the replaceable trunk supports as well as the antenna for your reference. Oh, and the navigation update. Be mindful, for the navigation update, it's just the intrinsic mapping information that's on the updated DVD. This update will not change any user routines or the appearance of your navigation.

Trunk Supports -

Antenna Mast & Cable - these fail when the mast becomes bent which causes undue strain on the antenna motor and gears. The strain may cause the antenna not to raise completely and/or may not lower itself all the way into the body. If it doesn't move it all, take a gander at the small teeth on the antenna cable - these become stripped and worn over time. Presuming the cable hasn't already broken inside the antenna motor assembly to change this is very simple. If however, the cable is broken inside, then you'll need to disassemble the motor assembly to remove the broken pieces.

...the latest navigation update (2010CY). The navigation computer is located in the right rear of the trunk of your SC430 behind one of the trunk panels - press eject, remove disc, then reinsert new disc. That's all there is to it.

Darrel
Old 08-24-10, 01:59 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. I guess I'm too easily satisfied because that doesn't seem like much wrong in 7 years and they are all easy DIY tasks. The ML speakers are a bigger issue for me. I hope you can grow to love your SC like I do mine every time I drop the top. And I love the discounts I get from Sewell's too for OEM parts.
Old 08-24-10, 02:24 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1. you bent the mast, likely going through a car wash. replace it yourself as others have said. and avoid drive through car washes.
2. you haven't properly maintained your car. regular washing and waxing will prevent spots. if you want your paint to look like new, you can have it professionally detailed or do it yourself. i recommend zaino products (available only online). the clay bar treatment and wax should take care of it.
3. trunk struts wear out. they're easy to replace for $40.
4. buy a new disc.
5. the OEM rims are steel. you can't get any more durable than that. potholes will bend any wheel if you hit them hard enough. you can have them repaired. but it would likely be cheaper to buy a set of OEM wheels from someone who upgraded to aftermarket wheels. check the classified section of this forum.
6. sounds like you managed to solve at least one problem on your own
Old 08-24-10, 04:48 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Darrel,

Are the NEW 2010 Map DVDs in already?
Old 08-24-10, 05:17 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
You think you have problems.

1. Every 350 miles the low fuel light goes on.
2. Every rain the car gets dirty.
3. Every year the odometer keeps registering more miles.
4. When ever my wife drives the car, I have to hit the preset to get the seat back into position.
5. Very hard to drive at night with the lights off.
6. On Florida days, when it is 100+ degrees out it takes up to three minutes for the AC to cool it off.
7. When I drive across the state, I lose my radio station.
8. Needs an oil change every 3000 miles.
9. When I use the wrong key from our other Lexus, it wont even start.
10. At 156 MPH it just won't go any faster.
** I Have heard from others it is very easy to become injured when performing an unknown activity with the tailpipe.

Consider yourself lucky, I obviously got a lemon.
Old 08-24-10, 07:54 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^^^^^lol!
Old 08-24-10, 08:03 PM
ausbun
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KaiserSea1, you forgot to mention that every time it starts raining, you have to hold down a button on the dash for 25 seconds!
Old 08-24-10, 08:41 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Most of these or non-Lexus issues. Rather they are wear and tear.

It's not unusual for the mast to need replacing with time. 9yrs is not unreasonable

You want to hold Lexus responsible for 9 yr old paint that has acid rain or water spots? Your kidding. Keep it waxed and garaged if possible.

These go after 3-4 yrs.

I assume you meant GPS. So buy a new disc, you don't expect Lexus to update a 9yr old disc, do you?

Stay out of pot holes. This certainly is not Lexus' fault

Many of this did this to get better handling. Lexus picked the Run Flats for obvious reasons

Quick Reply: SC 430 2003 Problems. OTHERS?