SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Hardtop Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-10, 08:29 PM
pageme1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Issues!

I have hardtop issues at least every two months.The top will retract halfway and the package tray won't open. I reset with a battery disconnect and it works fine for a month or so. Does anyone have this problem? (02 SC 430 blk/blk)

Last edited by pageme1911; 08-30-10 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-10, 01:13 AM
Fastmensch
Driver School Candidate

It might be the roof ecu, I have an extra that I picked up w/ a bunch of other parts, pm me if interested.
Old 08-29-10, 07:28 AM
pageme1911
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply! I 'm currently under an extended warrenty, I hope this will be covered.
Old 08-29-10, 08:20 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should definitely be covered, but hopefully you can replicate the problem so theyc over it.
Old 08-29-10, 09:19 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

There are 25 switches and motors, twice as many connectors and too many moving parts to mention here. All must work in PERFECT harmony, with the motors remaining in sync, for the roof to open and close properly.

It is elegant yet sturdy piece of complex engineering considering the thousands of opening and closing that occur without incident.

Fortunately, Lexus also has a sophisticated diagnostic trouble code system containing about 55 potential trouble codes to diagnose. From your description it sounds like the package tray motor circuit or a 2518 trouble code.

The problem areas are:
a fuse in the luggage compartment (not likely),
a loose connections at one of the harness connection points
a worn out package tray motor
a defective sliding roof ECU

It's also something a dealer should look at, and would be covered under most extended warranties.
Old 08-29-10, 03:51 PM
pageme1911
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply ,I plan to take it to the dealership weekend after next.
Old 09-02-10, 12:22 AM
veilstylez
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
There are 25 switches and motors, twice as many connectors and too many moving parts to mention here. All must work in PERFECT harmony, with the motors remaining in sync, for the roof to open and close properly.

It is elegant yet sturdy piece of complex engineering considering the thousands of opening and closing that occur without incident.

Fortunately, Lexus also has a sophisticated diagnostic trouble code system containing about 55 potential trouble codes to diagnose. From your description it sounds like the package tray motor circuit or a 2518 trouble code.

The problem areas are:

It's also something a dealer should look at, and would be covered under most extended warranties.

WOW! do you work for Lexus that was awesome!
Old 09-02-10, 05:19 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob;

The problem areas are:

I was thinking the exact same thing. LOL

By the way Bob, I have a clicking sound in my knee when it rains, any ideas b
Old 09-02-10, 05:58 AM
VVTiBob

Creptitus. You should consider injecting a preparation of Hyaluronic Acid into the knee joint as a replacement therapy. Usually takes about five injections over five weeks.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-02-10 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-02-10, 06:52 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
I laugh, therefore I am!
Old 09-02-10, 09:45 PM
drsaab1
Driver School Candidate

yep i have the same problem, no warranty, let me know what your dealer finds out.
Old 09-03-10, 05:33 AM
Fastmensch
Driver School Candidate

FYI, after initially diagnosed as a roof ecu, my problem ended up being the trunk lock actuator, therefore I have a sc430 roof ecu I bought from xvipers used in great condition I am looking to resell. I will put it on eBay in a few days, first dibs here, $250 with free shipping in the continental US.
Old 09-03-10, 01:27 PM
pageme1911
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, I contacted the company that I have my warranty with and they stated that only the motor will be covered. I do not think it is the motor. I called the dealer today for an appointment. I will keep you all posted. The top is working fine currently.

pageme1911
Old 09-03-10, 01:55 PM
VVTiBob

Interesting. There are some limiting switches and of course the Sliding Roof ECU, both of these are electrical components like the electric motor that moves the package tray. Is there some sort of specific exclusion for electronic components?
Old 09-03-10, 02:41 PM
adi
Rookie

I had a similar problem and I had to replace the package tray motor. If I well remember it was around $350 for the part plus approx. 4hours of labor.
Since your car is still working it will be difficult to pinpoint with precision what the problem is. In my situation , it happened once, I turned off the engine and than it worked properly. After a couple of months it happened again and 4th or 5th time it stopped working, even if I disconnected the battery. At that point I had to close the roof manually(a pretty difficult process / you need a helper).Originally I thought it was a top mechanism cable, but later on the problem came back and I had to take it to the dealership.
Unfortunately I don't have the photo of the part saved on my computer anymore, but if you look at my other posts you will find it (on page 3 / Top Mechanism is open and will not close??)
Good luck and let us know...

Last edited by adi; 09-03-10 at 02:50 PM. Reason: corection

Quick Reply: Hardtop Issues!