SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replacement door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 12:13 PM
Hemicuda
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Replacement door speakers

I know there is a thread about how to replace them. I do know that you need an 8 ohm speaker (hard to find) However I do not know (short of taking the panel off) how deep the replacement speaker can be. I found one but it has 3 1/2 depth. Also why do they go with a 6 1/2 round when there seems to be a lot of 6x9s that would fit with an adapter plate. I'm sure a LOT of people would appreciate any specifics you can give. Thanks
Old 09-03-10, 12:42 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemicuda
I do know that you need an 8 ohm speaker (hard to find)
If you look at home audio speakers (instead of automobile) you will find a good selection of reasonably priced 8 ohm units. When I had my ML speakers out I didn't measure the depth since they were going back into place, but they aren't very deep, say in the neighborhood of 3". Maybe someone who has done a swap can give a more exact number.

I posted a while back about re-foaming the MLs. You might look into that if you're not inclined to do any engineering. It's an easy process and will restore to original factory goodness. If you're not inclined to try there are shops that will do it reasonably too.
Old 09-03-10, 01:53 PM
toxic
Driver

Funny you should ask and as my 1st post (been lurking for a loooong time) I'll tell you what I discovered about the ML system. I recently bought an 02, Silver Metallic with the common blown 6x9's in the doors. I went to a top notch custom audio shop here in Jacksonville and when I went in the guy behind the counter was smiling....He said lemme guess, your fronts are blown. They took the time to explain that I would have 2 options. 1. Replace the entire system or 2. Buy and install new ML speakers. First I asked if they could be re-foamed since I read about it here and they advised against it. In their opinion, it is a band-aid fix and will re appear all too soon. I asked about replacement speakers and they explained they have tried many different replacements and none sounded as good as the stock ML's, fragile as they may be. They advised me to just buy the new ML's and with the price that Sewell's offers them for, it is a bearable repair. I am going to buy a new set and send my old ones out to be re-foamed. That way I will have a spare set should I ever need them.
Old 09-03-10, 02:38 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toxic
I asked if they could be re-foamed since I read about it here and they advised against it. In their opinion, it is a band-aid fix and will re appear all too soon. I asked about replacement speakers and they explained they have tried many different replacements and none sounded as good as the stock ML's, fragile as they may be. They advised me to just buy the new ML's and with the price that Sewell's offers them for, it is a bearable repair.
I'd have to say that re-foaming no more a bandaid than replacing broken MLs with new ones. It's just a less expensive one that will truly yield original performance. If your custom audio guy thinks MLs sound that good and you agree, then you'll be very happy with the repaired speakers. Just my $0.02.
Old 09-03-10, 04:18 PM
toxic
Driver

Then my only question would be why do they separate? Luck of the draw? Bad glue? Pushing them too far? And if it is because you pushed them too far, what other parts of the speaker are affected?
Old 09-03-10, 05:16 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toxic
Then my only question would be why do they separate? Luck of the draw? Bad glue? Pushing them too far? And if it is because you pushed them too far, what other parts of the speaker are affected?
I am unaware of re-foamed SC speakers failing, but perhaps that could be because they haven't been in service long enough. I know of other re-foamed units going 10 years or more (but not necessarily Mark Levinson). Adhesives are very effective these days and properly applied, a glued surround shouldn't be the first point of failure. I probably would look for the voice coil to open up (if the amp had enough power). My point is that of course you'd be free to spend well over $500 on new ML speakers but it's almost certain that the repaired units would give you the same performance and length of service for less than $100 (or $25 if you did your own work). Apoligies to OP for diverting the thread from the original question...