SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Performance: SC 430 vs. GS 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-02, 06:03 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performance: SC 430 vs. GS 400

Lately I have been driving around my mom's SC 430 and have noticed that it feels sluggish compared to my GS 400. In the SC, it feels as though I almost have to fight the gas pedal for power while my GS gas pedal is very touchy when the slightest pressure is applied. Don't get me wrong, the SC is pretty fast compared to most cars but just doesn't seem to have the same power my car has. I would think that the 430 engine in a smaller lighter car would perform better than the 400 engine in a heavier car. Could there be something wrong with the SC's engine??
Old 07-17-02, 06:22 PM
Phu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SC430 is actually heavier than the GS. I don't know how much the GS400 weighs but the GS430 weighs 3715 lbs compared to the SC430's 3840 lbs. The extra 125 lbs might have something to do with the sc feeling a little slower.
Old 07-18-02, 06:43 AM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC430 Does Feel Sluggish

I've noticed that the SC gas pedal isn't that sensitive. Yes, when you give it gas, power is no problem, but the minute you take your foot off the gas, it does feel like the forward momentum is quickly lost. I'm no expert, maybe something to do with the transmission?

As a side note, my Cadillac DTS has a much more sensitive gas pedal. Now I KNOW that the Cadillac is heavier than the SC. It's funny to get in this large car after driving the small, sporty SC and have to remember to be careful with the gas pedal.

Robert
Old 07-18-02, 07:14 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed this myself. It feels as though the car just does NOT want to go unless you put some real pressure on the pedal. It's probably just the nature of the accelerator linkage.
Old 07-18-02, 11:50 AM
Phu
Pole Position

I agree the car doesn't really accelerate hard until you've almost got the gas pedal burried.
Old 07-18-02, 04:05 PM
DropTop430
Driver

There is a trick that several car makers use to make certain cars feel quicker off the line. They play with the way the throttle is linked to the engine, people think that because a car jumps as soon as you hit the gas that it actually faster, that is not always the case.
I have read many car reviews from many different sources and they often mention this. Nissan/Infiniti/VW often are mentioned.

I am happy with the pedal on my SC430.
Old 07-19-02, 09:19 AM
stevelaw
Driver

At the time of my 1k checkup, I commented to my service rep re the accelerator lag. He said that the SC430 accelerator linkage was not mechanical, but was actually some type of electronic sensor. Also said that the car computer adjusts the accelerator action based upon your driving habits (i.e. if you typically accelerate gradually, the sensor is set to do so even if you attempt to punch it off the line). He offered to have that setting reset if the lag was troublesome.

Franky, it sounded like BS to me, and I didn't have time to have him roll it back into the shop to do the magical "reset." I will ask him to do it the next time I am in for service.

Has anyone else heard this line before?

I still sense a slight pause between the time I hit the gas, and the car's response. Seems to be reduced noticeably when I turn off the VSC.
Old 07-20-02, 07:24 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, all cars are like that they adjust to your driving styles. Thats why you should always beat the snot out of the car from day one. Nothing less the pulling out of the dealer and getting the car sideways will do. I think the gas is very sensitive though. It knows just when to **** or just ride in the gear a little bit longer. My only gripe is the 1-2 shift, the car just feels like it has died. I mentioned it to the dealer and he said maybe they just missed the torque curve on that shift. Oh well
Old 07-20-02, 09:58 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

My '98 SC 400 (same engine as the GS 400, incl. drive by wire) seems more touchy on the throttle when I have it in ECT PWR mode. It also downshifts when I brake to assist in slowdown...its kinda annoying, 'cause I never know exactly how the car is going to react....damn newfangled 'lectrics. Do the 430s have the same (PWR SNOW NORM) switch?
Old 07-20-02, 10:08 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

>Yes, all cars are like that they adjust to your driving styles. <

Interesting point, lexusSC430, which I agree with. I don't know why they adjust to your driving style, but in my opinion it's not because of electronic memory. Well, maybe with the new cars, it is - I don't know.

I've had people tell me how peppy my cars are and I tell them it's because I give them hell - which translates into "keeping the revs up". I learned that a long time ago from a Volvo mechanic-turned-dealer who jumped all over me for not beating the ****** out of my new P1800. I spend about 80% of my time in the SC in third and never go into Drive unless I'm relaxing on a thruway at 65 and above.

I'd trade my year-old SC (with 3600 miles) tomorrow for another SC that has a manual transmission.
Old 07-20-02, 11:29 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it has a lot to do with the computer stretching it. Ever notice how some peoples cars go right to the redline and shift and others do not. I dont know, but I suspect it has to do with the computer adding more air and fuel, because it is needed. The ECU adjusts to certain things, so if there is an abnormality it will try to fix. Case in point being putting an aftermarket intake on. The check engine light will probably go on, but eventually will turn off, because the ECU adjusts.

I do miss my 6-speed, but I dont miss the pain in the *** it can be. It was virtually impossible to drive around town and talk on a cell phone or do anything else. Toyota/Lexus does have beautiful transmissions though.
Old 07-20-02, 02:01 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LexusSC430
Yes, all cars are like that they adjust to your driving styles. Thats why you should always beat the snot out of the car from day one. Nothing less the pulling out of the dealer and getting the car sideways will do. I think the gas is very sensitive though. It knows just when to **** or just ride in the gear a little bit longer. My only gripe is the 1-2 shift, the car just feels like it has died. I mentioned it to the dealer and he said maybe they just missed the torque curve on that shift. Oh well
Uhhhh, DO NOT BEAT THE SNOT OUT OF UR CAR FROM DAY 1. There is a reason that u r supposed to drive a brand new car under 50 mph (i think thats right) for approx. 250 miles (i dunno if that is correct) and keep the RPM's below 3000. U don't want to **** up ur engine right when u get ur car by redlining it, etc. After u have "broken in" ur car, then what i would do is reset the ECU and then 'beat the snot out of it".

steve: ur dealer was correct. The same holds true to the 92-00 SC3/4's about the resetting the computer. There is an ECU which memorizes ur driving style. If u usually don't drive the car hard (esp. from the line), the ECU will program itself to help save gas, etc. (this is how its programmed form the factory------> on the economical setting). However, if u disconnect the battery for about 15 min., and then reconnect it and go out and drive ur car hard (especially from dead stops), ur ECU will reset to a more sporty setting. It will think that everytime u stop, u will accel. hard and therefore, it will "act" sportier. Do a search on ECU in the SC3/4 forum and u should find a lot of threads on it. Hope this helps