SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 sales up 37%

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 10:37 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SC430 sales up 37%

Okay when you read the article you find out they still sold so few SC430s, you could park them all in one row at the local mall, but still IS and HF sales fell through the floor. Not too shabby.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6717...ear/index.html

Things weren’t quite as sunny at Toyota’s luxury division, Lexus, which posted a year-over-year monthly sales decrease of around 6 percent. The RX continues to lead Lexus’ sales with a total of 7420 units moved, down 10 percent from last September’s sales. Other figure worth noting included a 21-percent increase in ES sales, a 43-percent drop in HS sales, a 27-percent decline in IS sales, and a whopping 122-percent jump in GX sales. An honorable mention goes out to the SC430, which posted a 37-percent increase in sales that translates to sales of 26 units compared to 19 last year.
Old 10-07-10, 05:09 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are interesting figures considering toyota was facing what seemed to be recalls every week this summer, a fine by us govt of 16 million for covering up defects, and the myriad of lawsuits the company now faces.

Not to mention improvements by ford, vw, even gm etc in their line of cars.

I own a 2003 sc430 and a 2003 4runner but i wouldn't have toyota anywhere near the top of my list if i was in the market for new.

Just wondering about others here.
Old 10-07-10, 05:13 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A little confusing ..does this mean they sold ...

An honorable mention goes out to the SC430, which posted a 37-percent increase in sales that translates to sales of 26 units compared to 19 last year.

26 units for the month or for the year??What is the year end production sales for the SC 430?

Katy
Old 10-07-10, 07:42 AM
ausbun
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Katy: The story's about August sales, which I guess included yours.

The Wikipedia article on the SC430 gives its production totals by years, and they add up to around 70,000. (I don't know if Soarer sales are included in that.)

So Toyota sells more Camrys and Corollas in a month and a half than the SC430 sold in its entire nine years. It makes you wonder what the collectibility factor will be for the SC430 in about 10 years.
Old 10-07-10, 02:40 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
A little confusing ..does this mean they sold ...

26 units for the month or for the year??What is the year end production sales for the SC 430?

Katy
That's monthly sales compared year-to-year. If I read the info on the website correctly SC430 sales this year were projected to be about 300 total.
Old 10-07-10, 03:07 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KBALL
These are interesting figures considering toyota was facing what seemed to be recalls every week this summer, a fine by us govt of 16 million for covering up defects, and the myriad of lawsuits the company now faces.

Not to mention improvements by ford, vw, even gm etc in their line of cars.

I own a 2003 sc430 and a 2003 4runner but i wouldn't have toyota anywhere near the top of my list if i was in the market for new.

Just wondering about others here.
Well, this is really provocative material for a potential thread hijacking isn't it? I would have to offer that despite Toyota's difficulties I don't think they've forgotten how to make automobiles. Styling aside, they are still more skilled in use of materials, achieving fit and finish, and building in longevity than a lot of their competition. I think the present situation could be a bit like choosing to eat in a restaurant that's re-opened after a failed health inspection - there are probably very few worries about the food. I'm not married to the company but if in the market for a new vehicle I believe that I'd likely give Toyota brands consideration alongside a number of others.
Old 10-07-10, 03:49 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I still think the ES, IS, LS and GS for their classes are top choices. Versus the new BMW and MBZ lines IMO they are VERY competitive! I think Infiniti is a very formidable competitor to Lexus especially someone that wants a more spirited driving car and more plush interiors than German cars. The new M is sweet...stacks up nicely to the GS. The last lexus sedans faired very well in reliability rankings despite all the issues.

Not crazy about the new GX/LX/RX bodies over the old bodystyle, but most of the time they end up growing on you! Seems like the styling on the SUV's got too rigid IMO in the lines. About the ONLY new Toyo/Lexus SUV's I like the styling of is the Sequoia and the Highlander. IMO they are more sleek and stylish not as "edgy". Maybe Lex was looking for that??

They remind me of how the body changed from the 2003-2006 ES.

My mother in law just bought a GS350 based on my recommendation from Sewell and she is in HEAVEN and thinks it's the most modern car in the world. I don't have the heart to tell her that the bodystyle is six years old, LOL! I agree with her though, the GS is still a GREAT car.

I rode in a 2007 LS the other day and it still was like new, and still was very relevant and modern. Owner had 54k on it and had ZERO problems. Plans on keeping and getting extended warranty or might just roll the dice.

I commented a couple of weeks ago how much I love the IS loaner car I get at the dealer and IMO they are still fresh and great cars...outstanding value too.

Can't say much about the HS or hybrids sales or ISF sales but the core car products are still objects of desire much like our SC's apparently (up 37%...or 7 units LOL)

Question is: with the IS-C sales where they are...is Toyo/Lex happy with this segment considering they probably will not sell a ton of LFA's and the SC is now gone? Also, when is the IS due for a complete body change...and will the IS-C lag behind a few years????

My two local dealers are crazy busy all the time...obviously this slump hasn't affected them. Most consumers that I know that have Lexus/Toyota vehicles didn't flinch when the recall problems were announced.
Old 10-07-10, 04:12 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Toyota is still the one to beat on quality and reliability, though some other makers are making ground on them. I suspect the down turn in the economy is the main factor in the lower Lexus sales though, not the summer woes.

It is good to see that the SC430 is still selling though. Keeping the interest up on them will help them keep their value better over time. Don't expect any miracles though.
Old 10-07-10, 07:10 PM
ge4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a sales chart for Lexus vehicles at the following site:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/page/2/
Old 10-07-10, 10:33 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cjs18
Well, this is really provocative material for a potential thread hijacking isn't it? I would have to offer that despite Toyota's difficulties I don't think they've forgotten how to make automobiles. Styling aside, they are still more skilled in use of materials, achieving fit and finish, and building in longevity than a lot of their competition. I think the present situation could be a bit like choosing to eat in a restaurant that's re-opened after a failed health inspection - there are probably very few worries about the food. I'm not married to the company but if in the market for a new vehicle I believe that I'd likely give Toyota brands consideration alongside a number of others.
Hi cjs,

I'm with you. The recalls were IMO just a 'bump in the road' so to speak. I have owned Toyotas for many years. IMO nothing can match their reliability.

And when I say 'Toyota' I mean to include Lexus as that is a Toyota product.

I'm staying with them,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I own a '93 Toyota Tacoma pickup ( my 3rd Toyota pickup ) and that is the most reliable car that I have ever owned. I just sold a '94 Toyota pickup with 220k miles on it, it was still going strong & got full asking price from the first guy who looked at it. Maybe I should have asked for more $$$$
Old 10-08-10, 05:29 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ge4u
There is a sales chart for Lexus vehicles at the following site:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/page/2/
So it looks like 283 models have been made year to date on the SC for 2010?

That's interesting.. should I put that on my signature..one of 283 made?
Katy
Old 10-08-10, 01:36 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
So it looks like 283 models have been made year to date on the SC for 2010?

That's interesting.. should I put that on my signature..one of 283 made?
Katy
I wonder if there is some way to determine what number your car is and have the number placed on it, sort of like a limited edition lithograph (65 / 283).
Old 10-08-10, 02:41 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
I wonder if there is some way to determine what number your car is and have the number placed on it, sort of like a limited edition lithograph (65 / 283).
You may be able to infer that from the VIN. The last 4-5 digits are supposedly a serial number for the model year.
Old 10-08-10, 06:09 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

That would be cool! I know I am close to the last car built..I think with in the last 5, because I saw some other 2010 SCs for sale on cars.com, and checked the vins out to see how many numbers were higher than mine, then checked the build date.

I would like to know for sure.. maybe Lexus will tell me.
Katy
Old 10-09-10, 11:48 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Katy,

Here's a VIN decoder chart for the 2010 models.... the last six digits are the serial number of the manufactured car at each plant. What I don't know is if the SCs were built at more than one plant in Japan. Probably not with such a small number but not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2010 VIN Decoder Chart.pdf (457.1 KB, 717 views)

Last edited by VVTiBob; 10-09-10 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: SC430 sales up 37%