SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Colors/Year

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 07:47 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Colors/Year

So I searched, and searched, and I cannot find what I am looking for. So I'll ask: is there some definitive place that lists the colors produced in a given model year? I found a reference to something pointing to the Lexus site, but I was unable to find anything.
Old 10-08-10, 08:50 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

WEBSITE: Import Reference They have all Japanese’s Motors products. Toyota, Scion, Nissan, etc etc

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-04-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 06:59 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Exactly the type of link that eluded me. Thank you. I am still looking for the number of each color in the production year. That link shows the colors and which years they were available and the special editions, but I want to know for instance, how many Tigere Eye Micas were produced in 2007?

The links to the brochures are pretty awesome too... Thanks for that link I will bookmark that and no doubt wear it out.

Last edited by 76210Guy; 10-09-10 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 09:13 AM
VVTiBob

The actual number of cars produced in a certain color over a specific period of time would, I suspect, only be something Lexus knows, and of little "corporate" value. The exception to that statement, if it exists, would be "special" build cars such as NM editions over the years. I suspect the only avenue to that data you want would be gathered via Lexus Corporate Customer Relations. You have piqued my curiosity, what's the interest?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 10-09-10 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 01:55 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

You're right about the numbers I suppose. My interest is in my own car, wondering just how many TEM's were produced in 2007. I never saw one in person, only on the web before I bought it. Last week, I was taxing into Chicago from O'Hare and spotted one in the wild. Just my own owners curiosity to know how many of them are out there.
Old 10-09-10, 02:24 PM
VVTiBob

Funny thing about "Tigereye Mica" whose paint code is 4T2.... Originally it was called "Premium Brown" which certainly is not very "Lexus" like. Wonder if Lexus got complaints and came up with a more exotic name for its flagship coupe...that is TEM... Check out the 07 new features doc included...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
07 features.pdf (8.5 KB, 559 views)
Old 10-09-10, 03:25 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly I've only seen one TEM ever. I was driving south on 75 near Richardson and saw one that a dealer had on a raised platform trying to sell.
Old 10-10-10, 12:56 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been searching for sales by color and color combo numbers for years to no avail. Perhaps we can ask Lexus Customer Relations???
Old 10-10-10, 02:06 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

If you've been asking for years I won't feel bad not knowing immediately ! <lol>

Customer Relations. Hmm... now where to start. A new project.
Old 10-10-10, 02:17 PM
VVTiBob

Marc... BTW that color was discontinued with the 2010 model. So it looks like it existed under is original Peral name in 2006, and the Mica version in 07,08 & 09, all using the 4T2 paint code.
Old 10-10-10, 04:32 PM
scdroptop

While your at it ask them about the secret recipe of the variable valve timing patent and the number to the leather reconditioner they use! LOL
Old 10-11-10, 02:50 AM
pikacindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had one side of my car painted but I can tell a huge difference, I'm wondering if they order the right color specific to the year of my model? is there a difference(mine is silver)? or is it because I"m seeing difference because it's new paint?(new paint is slightly darker)
also, does anyone know know about how much would it cost to have one side of the SC 430 painted (front corner, driver side, back quarter panel), with OEM paint and clear coat?
My paint shop charged me roughly $700 for it.....I just want to get some idea so I know I didn't get ripped off...thanks
Old 10-11-10, 07:42 AM
scdroptop

Yes, there is Millenium Silver Metallic from 2002-2005 and Mercury Metallic from 2006-2010. We have looked at white and black and blue from the different years and have been able to distinguish differences, but we have not discussed the two silvers. My bet is that there is a slight difference so if you have one silver and they used the other, then you would be able to tell a difference.

Not to discount your paint job, but $700 sounds very inexpensive for all the parts they did. I hope they were a top notch paint shop in NV.

My retired 2003 FX35 was silver and I had a door painted, they blended and it never looked right...was always darker. I went back several times, they wet sanded, buffed and polished and couldn't get it to blend any better. I went to a bargain paint shop to have the work done because it was a company car and insurance gave me the referral but in hindsight I should have insisted on a dealer or a better place.

Hope this isn't the case in your situation...you should take it back and share this info with them and verify what they ordered:

http://www.toyotareference.com/lexussc#SC
Old 10-11-10, 12:44 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pikacindy
I recently had one side of my car painted but I can tell a huge difference, I'm wondering if they order the right color specific to the year of my model? is there a difference(mine is silver)? or is it because I"m seeing difference because it's new paint?(new paint is slightly darker)
also, does anyone know know about how much would it cost to have one side of the SC 430 painted (front corner, driver side, back quarter panel), with OEM paint and clear coat?
My paint shop charged me roughly $700 for it.....I just want to get some idea so I know I didn't get ripped off...thanks
Hi cindy,

Here are my thoughts and you may not agree with me.

It is all about finding a really good body shop & then paying the prices, because cheap is for Fords & Chevys, not these cars.

About 15 + yrs ago I was looking for a good body shop to do some repair work on my then '87 Acura Legend ( that my teen-age son had dinged due to female troubles ). I got hold of the publication for the local Porsche club and went through the ads thinking that any body shop advertising in a Porsche magazine would be better than your average shop. I found a very good shop that I highly recommend and that I have used exclusively for those 15 + yrs.

IMO a good shop can make the paint such that you cannot tell the difference.

A case in point: When I bought my '87 black BMW 840Ci the owner told me that his wife had scratched the door and that he had taken it to a good local shop for the repaint ( no actual body-work req'd ). About 8 months later, some &%#$ keyed the quarter panel & door; so off to the body shop that it went. I stopped by one day to see how they were doing with it & they asked me to come look at something. They had found that the previous shop had used the wrong color of paint when repainting the wife's scratch. I could not see the difference buy these guys could.

That is my definition of a good body shop. So if any of you live in the Portland, OR - Vancouver, WA area and want a good body shop, shoot me a message and I'll put you onto them.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 10-30-10, 12:03 PM
pikacindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the comment, really appreciated, the reason why I was quoted $700 was because I went back and complaint to them that I"m seeing a seam on my door as a result of their paint job, they stopped about 3/4 on my driver side door so the old color will blend in with the front corner, they said they'll have to paint the front corner as well in order to fix the seam on the door, and they'll charge me just the material for extra $200 on top of $500(the one they messed up) and they will repaint the whole driver side door and the front corner, I'm still very upset as I think this shouldn't even happen at all and why didn't they quote me that price to begin with? I search everywhere finding a good shop and they have super good review and everything, they have very nice paint shop too as they showed me last time(nice paint booth), that's why I'm so disappointed they would do something like that thinking they could get away(probably because I"m female?

here's the one I went to
http://www.deviousdesignslv.com/

Last edited by pikacindy; 10-30-10 at 12:16 PM.