Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 11:39 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC430 reliability after the 100,000km mark

My sister is in the market for a new car,
she has set her budget for 30k USD

Her only criteras are a convertible and 4 seats. She has her eye on a VW eos, w 80,000km (50k miles) on the clock. Im not crazy about this car

I found a 2003 SC430 w 130,000km (80k miles). She really likes the car however

I have a few concenrs w the high milage, so im here to ask you guys what kinda problems have u guys experience at the +100,000km range (60,000miles). How is reliablity? Do u guys have anything to add or look out for when we go test drive the car?

I have an IS and i LOVE lexus and the brand so naturally im pushing to get the lex over the EOS which is a bland car, and her last car in college was a vw golf, so essentially she is buying the same thing.

All thoughs and opinions welcome
Old 10-12-10, 11:47 AM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 2004 with around 79k miles on it right now and it still drives like a dream. No problems as of yet as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

However, as for her wanting 4 seats.. its really uncomfortable for people to sit back there as there is hardly any room.
Old 10-12-10, 12:09 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iamtheodor
I own a 2004 with around 79k miles on it right now and it still drives like a dream. No problems as of yet as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

However, as for her wanting 4 seats.. its really uncomfortable for people to sit back there as there is hardly any room.
shhhhhh, our lil secret.. Whatever as long as u can fit one person in the back with his legs to the side shell be fine
Old 10-12-10, 12:35 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Be sure to check out the rear seat during the test drive if it's critical. If your sister really needs a true 4-seat automobile she may need to re-think the importance of the rear seat or look elsewhere. Your IS rear seat is cozy for adults but the SC takes that feeling to a whole different level.
Old 10-12-10, 12:59 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cjs18
Be sure to check out the rear seat during the test drive if it's critical. If your sister really needs a true 4-seat automobile she may need to re-think the importance of the rear seat or look elsewhere. Your IS rear seat is cozy for adults but the SC takes that feeling to a whole different level.
yea thanks, ive sat in the rear of an SC, i know how its almost impossible to sit back there
Old 10-12-10, 01:03 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cjs18
Good point-lots of more capable 4-seater convertibles on the market-the Audi A4/S4 or BMW 3 series 328, M3 or MBZ CLK 320 would be a great choice since she likes German Engineering. However, these cars all have inferior dependability and fit/finish compared to a Lexus as you probably already know owning one yourself.

For $30k you can get a much much lower mileage SC430. I sold my 2002 red on ecru with 29k miles on it last summer for $25,000.

I would check out:

www.ebay.com
www.cars.com
www.autotrader.com
www.craigslist.com

After 80k miles you can expect a major 90k service consisting of fluids/filters (several hundred dollars depending on what needs to be done), most likely brakes sometime and the big one would be a timing belt/water pump job ($1200). There are many SC430 owners with WELL over 100k miles on this forum and you routinely see them on the market for sale looking and driving great all the time. I would have very little reservations with a 80k SC430 if the maintenance has been kept up to date. ****I would get a copy of the maint records for sure**** A car that has been properly maintained is worth much more than a car that hasn't, and Lexus vehicles require fluids/filters to be changed just as any fine automobile would on a regular interval. Cars that have not had this done consistently will be a high risk potentially for larger items to fail like a transmission, power steering, brakes and radiator.

There are tons of 2002-2004's with less than 50k miles on them for under $30,000. I'd be glad to help locate a color combination she is looking for if you want-spending other people's money is my specialty!

Last edited by scdroptop; 10-12-10 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 02:07 PM
T8LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sc430 has 145k miles on it and the only problem so far is with one of the
o2 sensors which is no big deal. If you are getting a car from a dealership try to find one with a good carfax report that shows the service history on the carfax report!! The main reason i went with the lexus is cause id rather spend money on the mods then it being in the repair shop!!
Old 10-12-10, 06:24 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
There are tons of 2002-2004's with less than 50k miles on them for under $30,000. I'd be glad to help locate a color combination she is looking for if you want-spending other people's money is my specialty!
I note your (ndk83's) location looks like UAE. Is that the market area under consideration or would you be looking for cars elsewhere? If UAE are prices similar to what you're hearing on this forum?
Old 10-12-10, 11:31 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Hi ndk83's ,
I have a 2004 SC430 with more than 40,000 miles and no serious issues. Always maintained in the dealership. I live in UAE and it is toooooo hot her but still no major issues with the car up till now. Prices of the SC430 here as per my search two weeks ago when one of my friends wanted to buy SC430 2006+ model as follows:-
2007+ have not seen any for sale!!!
2006 around 140,000 AED = 38,000 US one only GCC specifications from AL Futtaim
2005 around 110,000 AED = 30,000 US one only imported from US white color
2004 around 105,000 AED = 27,000 US few cars imported from US golden brown, dark green and Black.
2003 around 95,000 AED = 25,000 US very few cars imported either from US or Canada
2002 around 75,000 AED = 20,000 US very few cars imported from US

All prices were subject to discount of +/- 5000 AED = 1400 UShope this help you.

by the way, are you the one who asked me if my car for sale two days ago while I was changing the tyres at Sharjah?!!
Old 10-13-10, 04:14 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Good point-lots of more capable 4-seater convertibles on the market-the Audi A4/S4 or BMW 3 series 328, M3 or MBZ CLK 320 would be a great choice since she likes German Engineering. However, these cars all have inferior dependability and fit/finish compared to a Lexus as you probably already know owning one yourself.

For $30k you can get a much much lower mileage SC430. I sold my 2002 red on ecru with 29k miles on it last summer for $25,000.

I would check out:

www.ebay.com
www.cars.com
www.autotrader.com
www.craigslist.com

After 80k miles you can expect a major 90k service consisting of fluids/filters (several hundred dollars depending on what needs to be done), most likely brakes sometime and the big one would be a timing belt/water pump job ($1200). There are many SC430 owners with WELL over 100k miles on this forum and you routinely see them on the market for sale looking and driving great all the time. I would have very little reservations with a 80k SC430 if the maintenance has been kept up to date. ****I would get a copy of the maint records for sure**** A car that has been properly maintained is worth much more than a car that hasn't, and Lexus vehicles require fluids/filters to be changed just as any fine automobile would on a regular interval. Cars that have not had this done consistently will be a high risk potentially for larger items to fail like a transmission, power steering, brakes and radiator.

lol thanks alot man, but yea as another poster pointed out we live in the United Arab Emirates, but nevertheless uve raised some good pts and ill def be looking into the cars service history at the dealer as well getting it checked out for any structural damage.

Originally Posted by Turboo

Hi ndk83's ,
I have a 2004 SC430 with more than 40,000 miles and no serious issues. Always maintained in the dealership. I live in UAE and it is toooooo hot her but still no major issues with the car up till now. Prices of the SC430 here as per my search two weeks ago when one of my friends wanted to buy SC430 2006+ model as follows:-
2007+ have not seen any for sale!!!
2006 around 140,000 AED = 38,000 US one only GCC specifications from AL Futtaim
2005 around 110,000 AED = 30,000 US one only imported from US white color
2004 around 105,000 AED = 27,000 US few cars imported from US golden brown, dark green and Black.
2003 around 95,000 AED = 25,000 US very few cars imported either from US or Canada
2002 around 75,000 AED = 20,000 US very few cars imported from US

All prices were subject to discount of +/- 5000 AED = 1400 UShope this help you.

by the way, are you the one who asked me if my car for sale two days ago while I was changing the tyres at Sharjah?!!
No that was me, but good to know, seems like the SC is in popular demand and u dont see too many of them around.
Thanks alot for the price indicators, shows that the offerisnt such a bad deal except for the high milage.

Is your car for sale btw? just outta curioustiy

you guys have all been very helpful
Old 10-13-10, 07:32 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,162 Likes on 751 Posts

Personal opinion here: I have owned a Volkswagen and it was so unreliable. The newer ones are not any better. The Eos with 50,000 will have many more problems that the SC with 80,000 miles. Consumer Reports rated the SC430 the most reliable car. The Eos is somewhat cute on the outside but really cheap looking on the inside. (my opinion for those Eos lovers).
Old 10-13-10, 09:25 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Just an update,

My Sis and I test drove a 2005 SC430 in IMMACULATE condition w only 23,00 km, she LOVED the car, and is sold on it. The price is reasonable too at 105,000dhs ($28k)

Took it for a test drive, she was very impressed w it, more so than my IS. The only prob w it is that it throws a VSC light up every now and then, but hopefully that can be solved. I saw a few threads on here about it, i plan on doing more research now.

The good news is we ll hopefully b welcoming another Lexus into the family stable. My parents own benzs, and now both kids gonna b rollin in some lexus.

Lexus domination FTW
Old 10-13-10, 09:27 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Freds430
Personal opinion here: I have owned a Volkswagen and it was so unreliable. The newer ones are not any better. The Eos with 50,000 will have many more problems that the SC with 80,000 miles. Consumer Reports rated the SC430 the most reliable car. The Eos is somewhat cute on the outside but really cheap looking on the inside. (my opinion for those Eos lovers).
I coudlnt agree more with you
Although I had a golf too in college bought it brand new, the car was great, no problems what soever, the interiors are very mundane, good for kids, but as u grow up, u want a bit of luxury in ur ride. Thats why i bought a Lexus, and prob why ill continue to buy Lexus. Love the brand
Old 10-13-10, 11:34 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Mabrook and good luck with the new car.

very good price especially if it is GCC specs.

about the VSC should not glow if it was a GCC specs car bought from AL Futtaim!!!
If it is US specs then its either one of two things:-
1- the fule used is not the correct one (I use the high octain one called Super in AD)
2- there is a problem on the Oxy sensor!

you better make sure if the car imported from US, Which state it is imported from? some states have very restricted rules on envorinment and pullution that the sensor is set on a very low margin of off-set. so UAE fule is not at all sutable for it.
there are two way out:-
1- Use an oxy2 sensor simulator.
2- change the fule type to a higher octine.

the best thing to do is to check for the error to idintify what is wrong before wasting money on parts.

good luck.
Old 10-14-10, 12:06 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turboo
Mabrook and good luck with the new car.

very good price especially if it is GCC specs.

about the VSC should not glow if it was a GCC specs car bought from AL Futtaim!!!
If it is US specs then its either one of two things:-
1- the fule used is not the correct one (I use the high octain one called Super in AD)
2- there is a problem on the Oxy sensor!

you better make sure if the car imported from US, Which state it is imported from? some states have very restricted rules on envorinment and pullution that the sensor is set on a very low margin of off-set. so UAE fule is not at all sutable for it.
there are two way out:-
1- Use an oxy2 sensor simulator.
2- change the fule type to a higher octine.

the best thing to do is to check for the error to idintify what is wrong before wasting money on parts.

good luck.

an old couple own the car and they bought it form al futtaim (according to the husband) ill double check but how else can i tell? chassis number?

Quick Reply: SC430 reliability after the 100,000km mark