SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Next Upgrade: To Lower or Not...To Bodykit or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-10, 03:14 PM
Gixxerboy6
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To lower or to bodykit?

Hey scdroptop,
I have given a lot of thought to a body kit vs. lowering. It seems as if a bodykit would afford the visual effect of a lowered vehicle by filling the airspace between the ground and the bottom of the vehicle, but personally I think lowering it with coilovers 7/8 to an inch would accomplish a better look. The only thing that is holding me back is the fear of being forced to modify my inner fenders.

When I installed the 20" TSW wheels, my car appeared a little 4x4ish (to me). My goal is to accomplish something tastefully subtle that could have been offered by Lexus to the general public in terms of a sportier SC430... much like an AMG is to the standard Mercedes, or a BMW M car is to their standard counterparts. If I can accomplish that, then I have succeeded.

If I should bite the bullet and jump on the coilovers, I will still add a chin spoiler to the front... It is just screaming for something there.

To lower or to bodykit? Maybe we should do both!
Hopefully others on this forum will jump in and share their experiences.
Attached Thumbnails Next Upgrade:  To Lower or Not...To Bodykit or Not?-small-7.jpg  
Old 10-27-10, 10:56 PM
Lead Lap

I feel the same way... Im wondering if coilovers are really necessary. I want the look and an improved ride over stock. Im thinking of saving money with some Tein S-Tech Springs which give a drop of 1.3" F and 1.6" R. Im thinking that will be enough to fill the gap. I have 20" wheels now. If anyone has gone with the lowering spring route.. please comment. Also, what is the drop in inches you guys with coilovers are riding on?
Old 10-28-10, 05:20 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 007
I feel the same way... Im wondering if coilovers are really necessary. I want the look and an improved ride over stock. Im thinking of saving money with some Tein S-Tech Springs which give a drop of 1.3" F and 1.6" R. Im thinking that will be enough to fill the gap. I have 20" wheels now. If anyone has gone with the lowering spring route.. please comment. Also, what is the drop in inches you guys with coilovers are riding on?
My 20's with low profile tires added a little less than 2" ride height, The Tein springs dropped it back down an inch and a half. I did not want to go lower and scrape the bottom. I never considered most of the kits because they were not dramatic enough. The car already has factory skirts, most of the kits are just different not better. The real nice one's I have seen run in the thousands, which is more than I am willing to go on a 20K car. Handling with the springs is much better than stock. I have not tried any other setup to compare.

I have a local shop that is selling a compete rebody for the MR2 to make it look like a million dollar Bugatti for 11 grand. I can't understand why some bumpers and side skirts should cost half that.

And yes I asked him if he could re-tool his kit for my car. He said no

The pic below is before the springs, the pic in my signature is after.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 10-28-10 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-28-10, 04:49 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1

I have a local shop that is selling a compete rebody for the MR2 to make it look like a million dollar Bugatti for 11 grand. I can't understand why some bumpers and side skirts should cost half that.[/IMG]
If you mean that literally, that's a little cheesy in my opinion. Anyone who knows the car will know the difference. A good body kit should enhance the existing design of the car and make it unique to your own personal taste. It shouldn't make it look like a knockoff of another car.

The only time a kit car is acceptable is if you're filming a movie and have to blow up a Ferrari. It would be sacrilege to destroy the real thing. But a VW in Ferrari clothes will do the trick.

Another option you might consider is going with some higher end aftermarket wheels. The change can be pretty dramatic.
Old 10-30-10, 12:46 PM
Lead Lap

My 20's with low profile tires added a little less than 2" ride height, The Tein springs dropped it back down an inch and a half. I did not want to go lower and scrape the bottom. I never considered most of the kits because they were not dramatic enough. The car already has factory skirts, most of the kits are just different not better. The real nice one's I have seen run in the thousands, which is more than I am willing to go on a 20K car. Handling with the springs is much better than stock. I have not tried any other setup to compare.

I have a local shop that is selling a compete rebody for the MR2 to make it look like a million dollar Bugatti for 11 grand. I can't understand why some bumpers and side skirts should cost half that.

And yes I asked him if he could re-tool his kit for my car. He said no

The pic below is before the springs, the pic in my signature is after.

Thanks for your input
Old 10-31-10, 05:44 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC;
If you mean that literally, that's a little cheesy in my opinion. Anyone who knows the car will know the difference. A good body kit should enhance the existing design of the car and make it unique to your own personal taste. It shouldn't make it look like a knockoff of another car.

The only time a kit car is acceptable is if you're filming a movie and have to blow up a Ferrari. It would be sacrilege to destroy the real thing. But a VW in Ferrari clothes will do the trick.

Another option you might consider is going with some higher end aftermarket wheels. The change can be pretty dramatic.
So I'm cheesy and you don't like my wheels, well aren't you a treat. And all this time you seemed like such a nice lady.

I think kit cars are a lot of fun. I think the SC would make a great donor car. A lot of the new kits use Boxters, Vettes, and the mr2. Locally we have a few Daytona Spiders, and Cobras that were really done right. It is the bad Fiero kits that really give you the shivers. The local guy who does the Buggati is quite the artist. For those of you who might be local he has one in the Ft. Lauderdale swap shop, and no one can tell the difference looking at it. An MR2 with a viper motor, I am sure it moves pretty good.

If the right kit came out for ours. I would love to give lucky a new skin. I think the California would be a great kit on the SC.
Old 10-31-10, 09:54 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's meant as constructive feedback. I'm not trying to insult you personally. I've seen kits in person and online and have yet to come across one that would fool me. It's like looking at a $1000 version of a $5000 set of wheels. It has the same shape, but the craftsmanship and materials aren't on the same level.

I think your wheels look fine. I'm just saying your car would look better with higher end wheels. If you have $11,000 to spend, you could do something like the Aimgain kit and some very nice wheels.

If you really want to do a kit car, your best bet is to buy an MR2 rolling shell and build it from the ground up. As expensive as it is to improve the performance on an SC430, it wouldn't make a good kit car in my opinion.
Old 10-31-10, 10:53 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

My 20's with low profile tires added a little less than 2" ride height ......
From the first night when I signed on to this forum I have coveted those wheels. Just a little on one of my favorite cars here.