SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Next Upgrade: To Lower or Not...To Bodykit or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 03:56 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Next Upgrade: To Lower or Not...To Bodykit or Not?

Fellow CL members: I need your help!

I've been reading and studying all the different types of coils and coilovers for Ebony my 05 Pebble Beach and I think I'm ready.

I called two local dealers and they both want approximately the same...about $750 to install coils which includes an alignment and loaner car.

Coilovers would be approximately the same cost to install, according to one of them, but obviously the cost of the parts are much more.

Tanabe and Tein are the leaders in my coil search.

I like the price of the newer Megan coilovers for $839 and would be open to improving my ride as well, obviously.

Question is: Do coilovers really improve the ride that much on these cars? Do coils do anything but just lower the car?

I'm thinking a 1" drop is all I need to look respectable. I don't know??? I have to go over two sets of fairly rough railroad tracks daily, so I can't go crazy, plus I have a CPO and don't want to void anything.

What are your thoughts?

Another option is to get the Wald kit and see how that looks first then lower.

I really love the Wald Executive kit and think this would be a tasteful mod for my Ebony.

Thoughts? Here she is as a 4x4. Many of you have commented how I need a drop badly. I honestly don't think it looks bad, but until I see some of your cars looking so much better with a drop, then I'm sold!!!
Attached Thumbnails Next Upgrade:  To Lower or Not...To Bodykit or Not?-ebony125.jpg  
Old 10-17-10, 04:22 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll feel a lot less body sway going through turns with coilovers. My first impression was that the handling was night and day better. It'll look better lowered. For whatever reason, the rear is way too high with the stock suspension. I'd lower it about an inch and a half. That'll put your car back close to stock height. $750 is very high. I paid $200 from a highly recommended shop. I'd ask around in your regional forum. It's not a very difficult installation. One person can do it in under 2 hours.
Old 10-17-10, 07:45 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is A LOT to pay for the labor on install. You should take it to a independent shop and get it done for $200 or less.
Old 10-17-10, 11:11 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap, $750 for coilover install? Local shops should charge around $200 or less.

About the ride quality, I think you'll lose some comfort with coilovers. It really does improve your handling, but it as for comfort, it won't compare to your stock suspension. You almost always lose some smooth/comfy when going with coilovers.

You might want to consider springs if you want to preserve comfort and still get lowering.
Old 10-18-10, 05:37 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by iamtheodor
Holy crap, $750 for coilover install? Local shops should charge around $200 or less.

About the ride quality, I think you'll lose some comfort with coilovers. It really does improve your handling, but it as for comfort, it won't compare to your stock suspension. You almost always lose some smooth/comfy when going with coilovers.

You might want to consider springs if you want to preserve comfort and still get lowering.

I know they're crazy-expensive but, do the Tien's with the EDFC truly give you the best of both worlds? - the ability to adjust for comfort OR for performance at the push of a button?

These have always been on my "Gee, that would really cool to have" list.

Last edited by Habious; 10-18-10 at 05:37 AM. Reason: spelt a werd rong
Old 10-18-10, 06:58 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Habiuos, just what is the EDFC you're talking about for the Teins? And about how much is a system like that going to run? Thanks
Old 10-18-10, 09:57 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

EDFC - Electronic Damping Force Controller

http://www.tein.com/products/edfc.html

It's a box and a set of 4 stepper-motors that work with EDFC-compatible coilovers.

The stepper-motors install on the top of the coilover and "turn" the damper adjusters.

The box gives you the ability to adjust the ride quality - from soft-n-comfy to stiff-n-sporty - from inside the car...and the adjustments are nearly instant. It's not like airbags, where it's a 90-second process. Just press the button and zzzzzzttt, done, even on-the-fly while driving.

You can adjust each corner independently...just the fronts...just the rears...etc. It also has presets so, one button gives you highway cruising soft ride, another button sharpens everything up to it's tightest setting...or whatever you want.

Looks like the full kit (controller box + motor kit) is $418.00 List.
Old 10-18-10, 11:27 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Tein EDFC is more of a toy than a really useful toy. Once you get your damping set you really don't adjsut it after that. Especially for a DD car.

Id you'd like a good deal and help on some coilovers feel free to shoot us a PM
Old 10-18-10, 11:27 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Thanks Habious, sound like the thing to have, if you have the coilovers.
Old 10-18-10, 12:20 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go on Air
Old 10-20-10, 09:22 PM
spikydude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have BC coilovers with only about 70 miles for sale. Let me know if your interested
Old 10-21-10, 07:45 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Spikydude, sent you a PM.
Old 10-21-10, 07:50 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

CircuitMS, also sent you a PM. Plus what's up with the site address?
Clicked on it and got the message that the account has been suspended. Do you have a new one?
Old 10-21-10, 05:59 PM
Gixxerboy6
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default whats the deal?

hey spilydude,
Why are you selling your coilovers after 70 miles?

Originally Posted by spikydude
I have BC coilovers with only about 70 miles for sale. Let me know if your interested
Old 10-21-10, 06:42 PM
spikydude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixxerboy6
hey spilydude,
Why are you selling your coilovers after 70 miles?
My dad said he rather roll stock height. Ughh all that hard work putting them on and adjusting the height all down the drain.

Quick Reply: Next Upgrade: To Lower or Not...To Bodykit or Not?