SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Simple Battery Tender Question - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 03:12 PM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Battery Tender Question - Please help

The SC is going to storage for most of the winter. I know I should slightly overfill the tires, add some Sta-bil, cover the car, and add a battery tender.

I have the Battery tender junior that I will connect...

can I connect the clips directly to the terminals of the battery, or should I clip the negative clip to another source?
Old 11-02-10, 04:16 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have my battery tender + and - harness attached permanently to the batterys respective terminals. I then plug in the battery tender with its connector. I had the standard battery clips but I chose to use battery tender other harness . It easier to just plug in and out .
Old 11-02-10, 05:04 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have my battery tender + and - harness attached permanently to the batterys respective terminals. I then plug in the battery tender with its connector.
Likewise. The former owner of my SC had a Schumacher 1.5A battery tender permanently installed under the plastic cover under the hood on the passenger side with the pigtail and plug hanging out. I haven't used it this year yet but he told me it was more convenient that way.
Old 11-02-10, 07:50 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by WISLUGGO
The SC is going to storage for most of the winter. I know I should slightly overfill the tires, add some Sta-bil, cover the car, and add a battery tender.

I have the Battery tender junior that I will connect...

can I connect the clips directly to the terminals of the battery, or should I clip the negative clip to another source?
I believe if you check the manual you will find that you should use a chasis ground not the neg battery terminal
Old 11-03-10, 05:32 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
I believe if you check the manual you will find that you should use a chasis ground not the neg battery terminal
To clarify, this is absolutely correct that this is the manufacturer's recommendation; however, once connected the negative terminal and the chassis ground should be electrically equivalent.
Old 11-03-10, 04:23 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Battery tender reccomends attaching there terminal harness direct to the battery, since there charger is designed to only charge when there is suffient voltage at the battery. If your battery is dead the battery tender can not recharge it untill the dead battery has at least an output of at least 3 to 4 volts. Its also protected from incorrect polarity. I think if your trying to jump start the car the general knowledge is to use the positive terminal for one clamp and use a chassis ground for the other. This is to avoid any sparks near the battery that could cause and explosiion. Also note that the battery tender is a low voltage charger that is controlled by its own internal design to prevent overcharging. I use them on all my cars and motorcycles.
Old 11-03-10, 05:05 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have my battery tender hooked up. + to the battery terminal and the neg leg hooked to a bolt. When not in use, I just tuck it (wires) along side the battery until needed.

Update while installing my new toy, a Injen cold air intake (got from AZKaty when visting Az) the bolt I used for the neg side was one on the engine that was close by.

Last edited by SteadyEddy; 11-05-10 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Checked out which bolt.