SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Full story on LuxLink being discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 11:34 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full story on LuxLink being discontinued?

I searched and all I could find was that LuxLink for our cars are no longer available. Anyone know the reason why? There still seems to be demand for them.
Old 11-21-10, 06:27 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The short of it

Steve of Luxury Motorworks has previously stated if he had an order of at least 50 units, he would produce them again. However, he is unwilling to be a CL vendor and CL will not allow any promotion of his product unless he is a vendor. I know there is a lot of interest in his product, but I'm not sure about 50. He already installed it on my 02, but I would buy another just in case I purchase another SC in the future. Best mod ever!

John
Old 11-21-10, 06:44 AM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default last status I understood

Yes, I was a desperate LuxLink seeker myself when I picked my SC up in February.

I spoke with Steve a bunch, and inadvertently broke the posting guidelines around promotions/group buy stuff (so don't do what I did! double-check the guidelines about posting!).

But I would concur with your assessment that there is still interest out there, it's just a numbers game. The price would be N times higher with only 1/N the customer base, and that would just about require prepayment.

I was lucky enough to find somebody who was willing to pull theirs out as they sold their car.

Got it installed and working great, and solman is right, absolutely awesome modification (not to make you feel bad, just validating you should try to get one!).

I would do a 'WTB' posting maybe.
Old 11-22-10, 05:47 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I spoke with Steve at LMS a month or so ago about a programming issue with the LuxLink. During the conversation, I brought up my disappointment at the product being discontinued.

He told me that he just wasn't in a position to put a pretty large outlay of cash for another run of them if he didn't think he could sell them in a reasonable amount of time.

There are a number of folks who A) would like one, B) don't know about it being an option or, C) wouldn't mind having a cold spare on the shelf - just in case (like me and JohnnyCake).

But, I understand where he's coming from - a NEW run of products that only work on a discontinued, low-production car?

My LuxLink has a very-minor programming glitch (I can't adjust the "run time" of the remote start to anything other than 5 minutes). I talked to Steve about it and said I could send it back to him to have the programming "reflashed". This might or might not fix it. And, it's possible that it could irrepairably damage it. He couldn't really "warranty" the work because, if something happened to the unit, there's simply no way he could replace it. So, I'll live with 5 minutes of run-time.
Old 11-22-10, 07:16 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put me on the list for wanting to buy the LuxLink too. I guess I'm too late to the game. Also on my 'too late' list is the S&S headers lol o well
Old 11-22-10, 09:18 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an ad in the WTB section which I bump up about once a month. I'm trying to find someone selling their SC who has a Luxlink in it. It would be about a five minute process to pull it out, and I'd pay top dollar for it.
Old 11-22-10, 09:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
Also on my 'too late' list is the S&S headers lol o well
i was on that list also...

HOWEVER they maybe a new solution for you'll there is for my GS430 and from a CL vendor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...group-buy.html

only issue is he has tried on a ls430,gs400,gs430 but not on a sc430 and while we use the same manifold on the 430 series the placement of the steering shaft could possibly be a issue. im not saying it is, im just saying its possible
Old 11-22-10, 12:53 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

If the going original selling price of the Luxlink was $ 350.00 estimating will say a real cost of MFG of $ 200.00 per unit x a run of 50 units that would take an investment of say $ 10,000.00 . That is not a really major amount of money. Perhaps a group of us could become a CL sponsor and then finance the cost Sell them on CL as a sponsor and make it a non profit operation , Its a win win for everyone. Of course there would admin cost as well as warranty issues but I am thinking its a do able thing. PM me for those who have an interest as well as we will need some lawyers. Just talking out loud here I dont want to offend the powers that be. The fact is there is now no CL sponsor that offers anything like the Luxlink. Rename it Droptop or Topdrop.
Old 11-22-10, 01:37 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm in.

(10 char)
Old 11-22-10, 01:40 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd be interested.

However, according to my sources, the investment capital would be twice your estimate (that's what I was told).
Old 11-22-10, 03:57 PM
tungitek
Driver School Candidate

I would like to own a luxlink module remote start/top module.
Old 11-22-10, 04:14 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I intended to buy one before I got my 430 but I didn't realize there's no more LuxLink. I'll actually take TWO and keep the 2nd as a backup. Yes I understand that's about $700. Probably more now.

Maybe someone could get Sewell Lexus Parts to sponsor everything?
Old 11-22-10, 04:51 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd throw a couple of grand in the pot to help finance a venture as long as I could get one for my SC! Heck I would even be happy with a second fob solution but I can't seem to find that either.
Old 11-22-10, 05:37 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Thanks for the information everyone. My question is (and I dont know if any of you are able to answer this) why cant he just produce less of them and sell it at a higher cost? 50 pieces does not seem like a very high to save that much on material or labor costs. I can see the material costs being the same or slightly higher for just 20 units. Cant he just produce less of them at a time then pass along the added costs to the consumer. Is there a reason why its 50 for entry into the market?
Old 11-22-10, 05:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn808
Thanks for the information everyone. My question is (and I dont know if any of you are able to answer this) why cant he just produce less of them and sell it at a higher cost? 50 pieces does not seem like a very high to save that much on material or labor costs. I can see the material costs being the same or slightly higher for just 20 units. Cant he just produce less of them at a time then pass along the added costs to the consumer. Is there a reason why its 50 for entry into the market?
This sounds like a great question for the vendor; no one here is going to have that insight.

Originally Posted by huy33
Maybe someone could get Sewell Lexus Parts to sponsor everything?
This is a very valid alternative. He can work out a deal through Sewell or Carson or any other approved vendor to sell them as a product or group buy on CL. JoeZ does that with Carson and his products for the 2IS.

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I'm in.
Originally Posted by Habious
I'd be interested.
Originally Posted by tungitek
I would like to own a luxlink module remote start/top module.
Originally Posted by huy33
. I'll actually take TWO and keep the 2nd as a backup.

Guys I'm sorry, but this is becoming yet another gathering interest / group buy thread and I'm closing it. Advertising is the ONLY thing that Club Lexus sells and it isn't fair to CL and the fine vendors who do pay to support CL (and keep it up and running free of charge to all our members!) for Steve at LMS to have a group buy and still not sign up to support the community.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-22-10 at 05:54 PM.