SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus Newbie Here - Venice Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 05:47 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for the heck of it, I called my local Lexus and Toyota dealerships to get estimates for the service work I need. Both dealers came in at the same price of $1,400 - $1,450.00 for the Timing Belt, Water pump and valve cover gaskets. I am glad I have a trusted mechanic in Port Charlotte who is doing all the same work for $870.
Old 12-03-10, 08:18 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how it goes. I may use your guy if he does good work.

TOXIC
Old 12-03-10, 09:13 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Originally Posted by toxic
Let us know how it goes. I may use your guy if he does good work.

TOXIC
Will do. I am scheduled to see my mechanic on 12/29/10.
Old 12-03-10, 05:31 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

srqmark,
Your mechanic is giving you a good, fair price. I had timing belt, water pump and coolant changed last month for $700 here in Charlotte, NC. Inlcuding the valve cover gaskets for the difference seems reasonable.

Good luck with your new ride and Welcome!
Old 12-30-10, 03:28 PM
srqmark
Rookie

Default Service Update

I took my SC430 in for the timing belt, water pump and valve cover gaskets today. This is the breakdown of the bill:

Timing Belt $70.00
Water Pump $115.00
Valve Cover Gaskets $80.00
Coolant $30.00
Labor $575.00
Total time in the shop 7 hours.

I looked at the timing belt and it did show some wear, my mechanic also checked out the spark plugs (since my valve cover gaskets were leaking) and they were perfect (currently I have 70,000 miles on her). The water pump showed no signs of leakage either. But now I have a piece of mind.

The Lexus dealer and Toyota dealer wanted $1,450.00!
Old 12-30-10, 04:56 PM
rcroller
Rookie

Welcome from Tallahassee...Sounds like you did great on that deal. Nice looking ride and congrats!
Old 12-31-10, 09:07 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome from Kansas City area, srqmark. Just caught up with this thread and noted the great difference between dealer and third party garage charges. I am wondering if some of that disparity (besides the difference in margin) is whether the Toyota and Lexus garages might have proposed to replace your belt idlers and tensioner. On a 70K mile engine that would be pretty much automatic. In addition, they might have proposed a new serpentine belt if it somehow hadn't been replaced already. At dealer prices, those items alone could have added another $300. Glad you have it fixed - now you can sleep easy (or at least worry about something else)!
Old 12-31-10, 10:12 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

The timing belt part itself is reasonable and labor is nearly half what Lexus charges. Our local dealer sells the timing belt kit for 2x what you paid. The dealer labor is appx $600-$800 depending on where you live. Our cost in Dallas area is about $300 less than your dealer. Valve cover gaskets are easily 3x what you paid as well based on the list price I am seeing at dealer online right now. If it's only Lexus dealer in town-they can charge whatever they want! All in all, I'd say you got a GREAT deal and in summary the savings was in three places: The timing belt kit, the valve cover gaskets and the labor.

I had a 93 GS300 back in 1998 that needed the timing belt service and even back then 13 years ago it was close to $1k at Lexus dealers.
Old 12-31-10, 10:30 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Pearlpower had an incredible DIY write up on timing belt replacement back in the day!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ion-notes.html
Old 12-31-10, 03:14 PM
srqmark
Rookie

Originally Posted by cjs18
Welcome from Kansas City area, srqmark. Just caught up with this thread and noted the great difference between dealer and third party garage charges. I am wondering if some of that disparity (besides the difference in margin) is whether the Toyota and Lexus garages might have proposed to replace your belt idlers and tensioner. On a 70K mile engine that would be pretty much automatic. In addition, they might have proposed a new serpentine belt if it somehow hadn't been replaced already. At dealer prices, those items alone could have added another $300. Glad you have it fixed - now you can sleep easy (or at least worry about something else)!
Thanks CJS, I don't know if the dealers quoted me on the belt idlers and tensioner, neither the Lexus or Toyota dealer ever mentioned any of those parts. If they needed to be replaced my mechanic would have told me. The dealers would have probably mentioned them to me after they had my car in pieces.

Originally Posted by scdroptop
The timing belt part itself is reasonable and labor is nearly half what Lexus charges. Our local dealer sells the timing belt kit for 2x what you paid. The dealer labor is appx $600-$800 depending on where you live. Our cost in Dallas area is about $300 less than your dealer. Valve cover gaskets are easily 3x what you paid as well based on the list price I am seeing at dealer online right now. If it's only Lexus dealer in town-they can charge whatever they want! All in all, I'd say you got a GREAT deal and in summary the savings was in three places: The timing belt kit, the valve cover gaskets and the labor.

I had a 93 GS300 back in 1998 that needed the timing belt service and even back then 13 years ago it was close to $1k at Lexus dealers.
I thank god I have a great mechanic that I trust... his shop has only 4 bays and is ALWAYS busy. He doesn't advertise, he runs his shop like they used to be run in the good old days...

I read the DIY thread earlier on the how to change the timing belt... I am pretty handy, but was not going to attempt this one
Old 01-01-11, 07:03 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If you live in Arizona..

Once again, I wanted to make everyone in my area aware of a truly FANTASTIC
third party Lexus Master Certified shop.. at half the cost.

http://www.lexsautotech.com/

Tell Paul I said HI.. He is even open two Saturdays a month, and has a loaner
for you.

On our Lexus cars, I can't begin to tell you how much he has saved us, as well as his knowledge of the vehicles. Next door. is Toyauto..these are great
people as well.

Katy