SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus Newbie Here - Venice Florida

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 09:11 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: Lexus Newbie Here - Venice Florida

Hi all, I have really enjoyed the many hours reading through the forum! I have just purchased my first Lexus. I traded in my 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring for a 2003 Lexus SC430 with 69,000 miles on her and talk about a big improvement over my Chrysler and a heck of a lot more fun to drive! I haven't done much with her yet, except put on new Yokohama S.Drives, rear brakes and an alignment. She has been neglected cosmetically, but I have started taking care of that. I will need to replace the speaker in the drivers side door which is obvious this is an issue from everything I have read.

Last edited by srqmark; 12-30-10 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 09:59 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats! For a neglected car, she sure looks clean! About the only flaws I can see right off the bad are the dinner plates have road rash-but that's about it.

A nice set of g-spiders will spruce her right up! Keep OEM tires/stock ride.

Classy color combo! Very nice. Welcome!!!
Old 11-28-10, 10:16 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from JAX!! You will only be more impressed as time goes on!!

TOXIC
Old 11-28-10, 11:14 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome from Poquoson, VA! It's great to see another Egyptian Sand Pearl being taken care of. Interesting... my SC also had a bad driver side speaker. I replaced it with an OEM speaker and then I could hear the passenger side rattling too. Back to the store. There are some great threads in this forum for replacing the speakers as a diy project. I did it and it wasn't too bad to do. If you decide to stay with the OEM speakers, make sure you register with Sewell Lexus to get the CL discount. There's also several threads about re-foaming kits for about $40. Have fun!
Old 11-28-10, 12:06 PM
srqmark
Rookie

Thanks guys! This forum has already helped me when she threw 3 CEL's last week. Advanced Auto gave me the codes and said that I really have something bad... I logged onto CL Forum and found it was just a lose vacuum hose! My CEL's went out after I disconnected my battery to clear them, reconnected the hose and they have not been back since.

I detailed the interior yesterday. The previous owner did not take care of her interior, not awful, but not up to my standards. The drivers side front floor mat is toast. It was a smoker, so there are 2 burn spots in the carpet, but at least she doesn't smell like smoke.

I gave her a wash and wax this past week...

As for the curb rash on my pie plates, yeah, I am not that thrilled with the pie plates either, but they will have to wait. I have to get the valve cover gaskets done according to my mechanic (who I do trust 100%). Lexus.com has the history on the car, it states the 30,000 and the 60,000 mile service was performed, but I don't see anything about a timing belt, so I will call them to find out if it has been replaced or not, and maybe get the valve cover gaskets and the timing belt done at the same time.
Old 11-28-10, 12:20 PM
srqmark
Rookie

Originally Posted by Poqman
Welcome from Poquoson, VA! It's great to see another Egyptian Sand Pearl being taken care of. Interesting... my SC also had a bad driver side speaker. I replaced it with an OEM speaker and then I could hear the passenger side rattling too. Back to the store. There are some great threads in this forum for replacing the speakers as a diy project. I did it and it wasn't too bad to do. If you decide to stay with the OEM speakers, make sure you register with Sewell Lexus to get the CL discount. There's also several threads about re-foaming kits for about $40. Have fun!

I really like the Egyptian Sand Pearl, not many SC430's around here at all, especially Egyptian Sand, they don't show every spec of dirt... I joined Sewell Lexus...there are a couple of minor parts that I will need to get replaced but nothing major.

I have to find a replacement speaker and I did find the speaker adapters on Ebay and my go that route. Probably sooner than later, since there is a rattle in the door when the window is down. And it drives me crazy when the top is down, the window is down and I close the door and here that god awful rattle. Perfect excuse to open the door and replace the speaker at the same time!

I had the bumper off the front yesterday to replace a blown fog light..so I figured I better replace both lights while I have her apart on the floor.
Old 11-28-10, 01:19 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome and congrates on your new car. Your ride looks real good for a neglected one. This forum is the greatest. Here you are just joining and I've been here for a year and haven't posted any pictures so far. Me bad!!! I'm workin' on it! Honest
Old 11-28-10, 01:48 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Welcome to CL, srqmark. Don't forget to join sewellparts.com. They have some nice discounts for CL members, including new floor mats.

https://secure.sewellparts.com/account/index.html
Old 11-28-10, 03:29 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Might be my favorite color combo. Really sharp.
Old 11-28-10, 05:02 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The Egyptian Sand is my wife's favorite color also.
Old 11-29-10, 04:21 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Welcome..!

Enjoy your new baby! We have wonderful members here on the forum!! Check out all the sections of the forum if you need something for your car ( hint!)

Katy
Old 12-01-10, 12:27 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome! I must spend so many hours reading the threads on this forum... ya'll are awesome!
Old 12-01-10, 04:11 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure where you are in Florida but in the Miami Ft Laud area there are shops called Jap Tech. Very reasonable and they do everything.
Old 12-01-10, 09:20 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome! The ESP was my favorite color until I found mine. Sure is pretty. Contests!
Old 12-02-10, 12:20 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Not sure where you are in Florida but in the Miami Ft Laud area there are shops called Jap Tech. Very reasonable and they do everything.
Thanks for the info Kaiser! I actually live on the west coast of Florida, Sarasota County. I have an awesome mechanic over here. I am taking her in this month for a timing belt, water pump, and valve cover gaskets and his total estimate including labor and supplies is $870.29! I love my mechanic.

Quick Reply: Lexus Newbie Here - Venice Florida