SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 02:43 PM
MarkRN312
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light issue

I haven't driven my baby in about a week and it's been sitting in cold weather (30's at night, im in north Florida) Now when I'm driving it the E-brake light will turn on randomly then turn off. Seems to turn on while braking or off the gas and off while accelerating. But sometimes stays off during braking! I assure you, my E-brake is not engaged during this. Its frustrating watching lights turn on/off!
Also, for the past couple weeks I've noticed a slight clicking
noise when I apply the brakes (not the e-brakes) when I first
start up and back out of the
garage, then it goes away after
the first seconds of driving.
I got my brakes checked and they still have meat.
Can anyone provide any
insight? Thanks, Mark
Old 12-03-10, 03:31 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRN312
I haven't driven my baby in about a week and it's been sitting in cold weather (30's at night, im in north Florida) Now when I'm driving it the E-brake light will turn on randomly then turn off. Seems to turn on while braking or off the gas and off while accelerating. But sometimes stays off during braking! I assure you, my E-brake is not engaged during this. Its frustrating watching lights turn on/off!
Also, for the past couple weeks I've noticed a slight clicking
noise when I apply the brakes (not the e-brakes) when I first
start up and back out of the
garage, then it goes away after
the first seconds of driving.
I got my brakes checked and they still have meat.
Can anyone provide any
insight? Thanks, Mark
Hi Mark,

I cannot help you with the light problem.

The brake 'clicking' sound is not uncommon. Mine does the same thing. I had my car at a bodyshop a number of months ago and they would not take it out for a drive because of the concern with the noise. I then, immediately, took it to my indie mechanic and they said everything was OK.

Some people on this site, who know a lot more than I do, seem to think it might have to do with some spacers (???) in the calipers.

I have learned to live with it.

Just my thoughts . . .

Jerry Baumchen
Old 12-03-10, 03:37 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Usually indicates low or sometimes low due to acceleration or deceleration brake fluid. Usually fixed with a little fluid top off.
Old 12-03-10, 09:37 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

+1

Check your brake fluid. Top it off.

On a related note, both SC's I've owned due to the location of the parking brake handle, I have many times accidently snagged or engaged it slightly with my hand or knee getting in/out of the car. It's really easy to do!
Old 12-04-10, 12:52 AM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need to do is top up your brake fluid, the light coming on when braking or speeding up is just the brake fluid sloshing around in the master cylinder causing the sensor to turn on the light. The brake noise is normal but can be eliminated, if you take the brake pads out and spread a light coating of red high temp silicone on the back of the brake pad it acts like a glue / shock absorber so the pads don't rattle around in the caliper or squeal. Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-10, 09:28 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

If the brake "click" is actually more of a clunk then it is likely the caliper movement getting sticky and then moving into place. Just like mdpuff mentioned, the answer is to properly lube the movement and to tension the little spring clips to provide the proper pressure on the calipers to keep them in place. (There have been a couple of threads with the full details on this in the past.)

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 12-07-10, 05:48 AM
MarkRN312
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Harold, puff, drop, bob and Jerry! I topped off the brake fluid and the light is off..... I love this forum.

Anyone suggest a type of caliber lube?
Old 12-07-10, 02:17 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

I'd use a synthetic "disc brake grease" on both sides of the anti squeal shims to deal with heat generated. And use a lithium soap based glycol grease on the cylinder boots. And make sure you keep contact surfaces between the pads and disc clear of any grease or oil.