SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Moisture

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 12:05 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture

For starters, I'm officially new to this forum, but actually used it to purchase my SC430 yesterday. Thank you! It pays to be informed.

With that said, I wanted to check with the group and see if I'm missing something. I had looked at SCs for the past year and one thing that I had noticed was that when it was colder outside moisture seemed to build up on the inside of the glass.

Well I got my SC last night and guess what...it had some moisture on the inside (temperature was about 40). I do have warranty and the car is truly in great condition, but I wanted to see if this is a known issue or ???

Thanks for help and again, thank you for providing me with a fountain of information.
Old 12-06-10, 01:09 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never noticed moisture, unless you are speaking of the windows steaming-up in the cold or rainy conditions. This happens often to me....my solution is using Auto mode/AC to heat the car. The AC will de-fog and dry the air inside the car
Old 12-06-10, 06:50 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You'll really enjoy the SC430.

The only time that I've had moisture inside my car is on cold (semi humid) days after I've already been driving (and breathing inside) for a while. However, having said that, I live in the Dallas area, which is much drier than it is in Washington. I also keep my car in the garage overnight. The AC mode does work to dry out the air in the cabin and the fog on the windows disappears fairly quickly.
Old 12-07-10, 05:48 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a smart alec but turn on the defroster. There are a couple of ways to do it. Also read up in the owners manual it explains what to do for interior window fogging Welcome to the forum.

TOXIC
Old 12-07-10, 09:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You might want to check if there dampness inside the car, such as leaks. This will create the fog inside. Are your carpets all dry?
Old 12-07-10, 10:14 AM
nwcn98
Rookie

Default Thanks for the feedback

Since I just bought the car on Sunday and they washed and cleaned the interior prior to letting take it home, perhaps it could have been damp Monday morning.

This morning it was 'fog' free on the inside, so maybe that was case. Having owned another Lexus, I did notice that the SC430 warms up inside at a lower temp than I've set in the past. Perhaps a combo of a hot car and cold air outside, could lead to some condesation on inside...

Perhaps I should ask Mr. Wizard

Just in case, if I did have a leak, where you I check first?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-10, 10:15 AM
nwcn98
Rookie

Originally Posted by toxic
Not to be a smart alec but turn on the defroster. There are a couple of ways to do it. Also read up in the owners manual it explains what to do for interior window fogging Welcome to the forum.

TOXIC
Waiting on the manual - but I thought the same thing
Old 12-07-10, 10:16 AM
nwcn98
Rookie

Originally Posted by coach1
I have never noticed moisture, unless you are speaking of the windows steaming-up in the cold or rainy conditions. This happens often to me....my solution is using Auto mode/AC to heat the car. The AC will de-fog and dry the air inside the car
It has been cold here and I had the heat cranked
Old 12-07-10, 10:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by nwcn98
Since I just bought the car on Sunday and they washed and cleaned the interior prior to letting take it home, perhaps it could have been damp Monday morning.

This morning it was 'fog' free on the inside, so maybe that was case. Having owned another Lexus, I did notice that the SC430 warms up inside at a lower temp than I've set in the past. Perhaps a combo of a hot car and cold air outside, could lead to some condesation on inside...

Perhaps I should ask Mr. Wizard

Just in case, if I did have a leak, where you I check first?

Thanks!
Generally on the carpet. See if you can fell dampness.
Old 12-07-10, 01:17 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had trunk leak problems that are now fixed, however, about 1 year after the first time the leaks were fixed I started getting moisture on the inside winshield and back window in the cold weather (not fog but small water droplets). I dryed out but they would come back. Dealer said that moisture like that inside windows means dampness inside the car. Sure enough, carpet back carpet was wet. They found source of leaks and fixed (you can read my entire saga on my previous threads).

So if you have droplets inside then you might have a leak. If they washed the car then water might have gotten in so I wouldn't ignore it just because it seems OK today esp. if car hasn't been in rain! Now if it rains and you then don't have moisture inside you might not have leak. My guess is that you do. I would check out carpets and all over the inside of the trunk.

If an SC is not garage kept there can be damage to the rubber seals over time due to weather and sun exposure. They can get brittle and fail. This is what happened with my car and the leaks were first noticed in the trunk. All seals were finally replaced and it fixed the problem. But I would not ignore water droplets inside winshield - it means moisture somewhere inside. But this can be fixed - the trick is finding the source of the leak. Mine was covered by dealer waranty so my advise would be to have this checked out.
Old 12-08-10, 07:49 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep us posted if your carpet/floor mats were wet from a detail job/get ready shampoo when you bought it or perhaps something else like a leak.

Dry it out really good and make sure you put the a/c on for better defrosting. I run the a/c whether I have the heat on or not 24/7 in all my cars and have for 20 years. I learned the hard way from my old beater toyota celica that never seemed to defog back in the 80's!

I like recirculated air vs fresh for better power/air flow as well as no stinky diesel through the vents or pollen or trash trucks or whatever! Sometimes the fresh air on defrost is ok with the feet on in cold weather to defrost but ultimately you'll need recirculated to do a deep defrost.
Old 12-09-10, 10:16 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

It is good to run the a/c (on heat, naturally) during the winter also just to keep the seals lubricated. Once they dry out, they begin to leak. So the periodic running of the a/c throughout the year is important.
Old 12-09-10, 07:32 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Thanks guys...

The problem hasn't happened since the first night, but it has been in the mid 40s here.

Now my next challenge is figuring out how things work without a manual (it has been ordered)
Old 12-09-10, 09:15 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

it rained the past two days and I have my door panels off because I'm dynomatting them and installing speakers.. i noticed water was getting in my door panels! (theres no 6x9 speaker in at the moment) and water would be dripping from there onto my side step.. do door window seals become bad?? i noticed on the other side(outside) of the bottom of my window theres mold i guess from the water. therse no way to clean it unless i take out the whole glass.. should i get the outside seals replaced? i should take a picture
Old 12-09-10, 10:20 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Well you could wait for a printed copy of the Owner's Manual, or go here: http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...qvgN!255564480 and read it online. You can also see the car's maintenance/service history from Lexus Dealers and few other interesting items..

Quick Reply: Moisture