SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Keyed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 08:31 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Keyed

I've owned 30+ cars in my life and been keyed only once, and luckily it was an idiot with a blue pen on a white car, so I was able to remove the ink, wet sand and buff out with some rubbing alcohol and some elbow grease.

Today I was parked at starbucks actually right in front of smoothie factory and I got a nice flyer on my windshield from the smoothie factory as well as a nice key job on my quarter panel.

I am officially accusing (without actual proof) the smoothie factory owner for the key job. He is a known nut job in the business complex he shares with Pei Wei a popular fast Asian dining restaurant and starbucks, both which are extremely busy and take up all his parking spots (net of one). I was parked in front of his store for about an hour and a half and my car has never been touched for six years that I've been frequenting those establishments and all of a sudden I've got a brochure from smoothie factory and a deep key job on my quarter really close to where the brochure was put???

Fair disclosure: I arrived at starbucks at 8:15. Smoothie Factory opened at 9:00 or so. I was parked in their one designated parking spot with a handicapped spot next to me so no other car was there. I was only there till about 10:00. Several customers said they saw a man put the brochure on my car vaguely but did not see anyone key it. Brochure was placed on the right wiper, and the scratch goes up to down tragectory close to the brochure. I have three cars. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know me personally but I have seen him go ballistic with others parking there and the starbucks and pei wei managers all say he's crazy.

The brochure, location and intent would place the smoothie factory at the scene of the crime, right???

At any rate, it's a deep scratch. Any tips on guaranteed ways to fix these? I really don't want to paint!!! Painting changes everything. My car has no paintwork and I'd like to keep it that way.

I sent messages to the corporate office as well as the store. I'm contemplating filing a police report. Repainting the entire quarter panel would be about $500-$750. Not good
Attached Thumbnails Keyed-scratch.jpg  
Old 12-07-10, 08:54 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Derek so sorry to hear about this...it is very frustrating, especially when there are no witnesses to vandalism. In addition it's frustrating because it's a cowardly crime and with repair costs these day you could be spending well in excess of $500. Sadly the chances of it happening again are high, particularly when there are person(s) who are territorial about public parking places. So I suppose you'll have to park further away or stop visiting that Starbucks.

With that said it's important to take a good hard look at the damage. Did the ahole penetrate all the down to metal? If so, it's a full paint job. My even take some feathering to avoid seeing an obvious color change. Damn, this just gets my blood boiling....

Last edited by VVTiBob; 12-07-10 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-07-10, 08:54 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I'd start with meguiars scratch remover. I've had good luck with that in the past. Try buffing it for up to 30 minutes or so by hand. You can get some pretty bad scratches out with persistence. If that doesn't work, the next step is a professional detail shop. They can do a little more with a buffer. I wouldn't go that far yourself, or else you could damage it worse. From the look of it, I suspect you'll be able to get it mostly out yourself.
Old 12-07-10, 09:04 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

that sucks, man.
find a good detail shop and see if they can buff it out.
Old 12-08-10, 12:05 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread on Dr. Colorchip awhile back. Anyone used it for deep scratches like this? It might be worth a try, but don't know if you can get it in your paint color. They mix by color code but don't know if they could do yours since your Black Diamond is so rare.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Last edited by TooCoolSC; 12-08-10 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-08-10, 04:32 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Derek:

Please report to the police and let them get involved.

Also, I agree that Dr Colorchip may be an answer. Another option.. go to a reputable body shop and see if they have an option for you.

Even if the cops do not charge the guy, if you tell them there is 1.opportunity
2. motive and that he is known to do other crazy things, they will interview him.. at least make him pretty nervous, and he will know that he just can't walk away without someone talking to him.

Katy
Old 12-08-10, 05:47 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks, Derek.

Detail shop may fix between 100-200 bucks.
Plus, your car will look pretty.
I'd hold off parking in the whacko's space next time.
Old 12-08-10, 06:47 AM
scdroptop

Thanks everyone for the messages and ideas. I'm still hopeful either the corporate office or the owner will contact me. I am contacting the police today.

I am going to try 3M rubbing compound by hand today for phase 1. If that doesn't work, on to Meguires Scratch-X, then if that doesn't work it to a detail shop to see what they can do. I want to avoid painting at all costs. The scratch is down to the white paint, which I'm assuming is the primer.

I've seen first hand how dealers and now even individuals rip apart and discount cars that have paint work. Seems like it's virtually impossible these days to avoid paintwork from things in the road, to rock chips to door dings to getting clipped in the parking lot to being keyed-there is always something.

If I did not have better morals I would key the hell out of this guys car or grab him and pound him to the ground-but that doesn't make my situation any better and doesn't take the scratch away either!

Will keep you all posted. Thanks!
Old 12-08-10, 07:00 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

from what I remember from the Dr. Color thread, for deep scratches,
several applications should do it.
that's what I'd try first.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

here's what they say about deep scratches:

Deep Scratches - Deep, narrow scratches (1/16" or less) down to the metal will usually hold paint.
As our paint is instantly malleable (in this case, tacky, yet removable),
there is some flexibilty in finessing the paint into place.
The various brushes in the kit also allow for more precise painting of scratches
that can't effectively be repaired by our standard process.
Old 12-08-10, 11:28 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Derek, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I can commiserate with you, though mine was a mite more than just a scratch, sadly.

There is a real good body shop in Plano called Trade Secret. It is between Davenports and Park Place Lexus. They pretty much only deal in high end vehicles. They would probably be worth checking out.
Old 12-08-10, 12:29 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may not be down to the primer. With any scratch, it will appear white. Someone keyed my MR2 way back in college and it also appeared white. But scratch remover got it 99% out. You couldn't see it unless you really looked hard and knew it was there.
Old 12-08-10, 03:46 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Dereck

Sorry to hear about what that ahole did. Check local business that may have video surveilance . You would be amazed at how many video monitors are recording.

Buddy
Old 12-08-10, 03:56 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are some people who are only alive because it is against the law to kill them. May not apply in Texas. Listen to the Jonny Cash version of Hurt, have a beer, and in six months if you are sure it was him, spray a can of air conditioner coil cleaner on his truck. (known as car leprosy in a can) This of course is completely said in jest, per forum rules.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 12-08-10 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 07:11 PM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
There are some people who are only alive because it is against the law to kill them. May not apply in Texas. Listen to the Jonny Cash version of Hurt, have a beer, and in six months if you are sure it was him, spray a can of air conditioner coil cleaner on his truck. (known as car leprosy in a can) This of course is completely said in jest, per forum rules.
LOl!

Update: Spent 1.5 hours at the smoothie place today and spoke to the owner. He drewled over my car and said his wife had one about six years ago and he wished he never sold it. He remembered and admitted to putting the brochure on my car but swore he did not scratch it. I may be naive but I believe him. He showed not signs of guilt, shiftiness or wandering eyes...looked me in the eye without waivering and said he did not do it.

He came out to my car and stood there with me and even wanted to offer to help recommend some body shops and methods to fix. He is a former high school superintendant and is going to interrogate his employee who was there after he put the flyer on my car yesterday. He even offered me a smoothie and apologized for it happening in front of his store in his parking spot. He mentioned he has a couple of regular customers that might do something crazy like this but they were not in his store yesterday. My gut is I believe him. Not much else I can do.

I did file the police report to put it on record and even the detective agreed that the flyer and the eye witness put them at the scene of the crime. However, it's a very big leap to equate putting a flyer on the car with the keying. I almost wanted to ask him to see his keys so I could inspect for paint! LOL

I got out my ole trusty 3M rubbing compound and worked away some of the valleys of the groove the key made. The white sort of disappated as well. It appears at first glance (I will post pics tomorrow) that it MIGHT be just the clearcoat which is good news, right? Now if I can only get that groove out then I will have NO SCRATCH!

So, I bought the highly acclaimed Scratch-X. After years of bliss with Plastic-X I am cautiously optimistic this product will be as good! Wish me luck...I'll update tomorrow and post pics.

I will try colorchip next if this doesn't work or a body shop to buff.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-10, 07:14 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sucks it happened but fortunately you didn't get keyed all over. Looks like a good touch up job can cover it up pretty well.

Quick Reply: Keyed