SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Battery Terminal cleaning for the SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10 | 03:15 PM
mandyfig

Default Battery Terminal cleaning for the SC

On the SC430, if you disconnect the battery for routine cleaning and maintenance, will you have to reset anything? Or like a code for the radio? Or anything I need to watch out for?

My RX has no code required but need to re-initiate the moonroof, windows, sometimes the power tailgate.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-10 | 06:44 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
On the SC430, if you disconnect the battery for routine cleaning and maintenance, will you have to reset anything? Or like a code for the radio? Or anything I need to watch out for?

My RX has no code required but need to re-initiate the moonroof, windows, sometimes the power tailgate.

Thanks.
When I disconnected the battery to work on the engine on my '02 I lost the radio presets; the seat, steering wheel and mirror position presets; the nav destination history; and clock setting. The service manual specifies an initialization procedure for the seat - my recollection is that you run it forward to the stop until it stalls to establish an absolute position, but I've not found that to have an effect on my car. There is also an init procedure for the compass in non-nav cars. For later SCs (maybe '05 forward) I think the seat position procedure is similar but there may be some audio feedback (beep).

As you're probably aware there are some devices that connect to the car through the cigar lighter that provide a power supply to preserve the volatile settings. I am a little reluctant to try something like that on a car with so many electronic features - could be an expensive situation if something goes south.
Old 12-17-10 | 09:00 AM
mandyfig

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 12-17-10 | 10:52 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cjs18
When I disconnected the battery to work on the engine on my '02 I lost the radio presets; the seat, steering wheel and mirror position presets; the nav destination history; and clock setting. The service manual specifies an initialization procedure for the seat - my recollection is that you run it forward to the stop until it stalls to establish an absolute position, but I've not found that to have an effect on my car. There is also an init procedure for the compass in non-nav cars. For later SCs (maybe '05 forward) I think the seat position procedure is similar but there may be some audio feedback (beep).

As you're probably aware there are some devices that connect to the car through the cigar lighter that provide a power supply to preserve the volatile settings. I am a little reluctant to try something like that on a car with so many electronic features - could be an expensive situation if something goes south.
Hi cjs,

Re: As you're probably aware there are some devices that connect to the car through the cigar lighter that provide a power supply to preserve the volatile settings.

I had one of these for my BMW but never had to use it.

Re: I am a little reluctant to try something like that on a car with so many electronic features - could be an expensive situation if something goes south.

My BMW had twice the electronics these cars have and many people used this device without any problems. YMMV

I had a European steering wheel put on my BMW by a third party. He did the work at my bodyshop. I stopped by and he had the trunk open and said that he had disconnected the battery because he did not want the airbag to go off while changing out the steering wheel. I had previously informed him of my 'battery device' but he said that he preferred to just disconnect the battery. That is when I informed him that the car had two batteries, one on each side of the trunk & that he was at risk at that very moment. He did have a strange look on his face suddently.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 12-17-10 | 11:31 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

As someone who has been accused of having a "Murphy Field" surrounding him, I would never deviate much from a SM procedure involving the electrics on the car, especially where there's the equivalent of an IED involved. Actually if Lexus thought I should be working on the car in the first place they probably would have put one of those devices in the boot along with the cheapy tool set.