SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

BMW 650i your kidding

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 04:01 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

We spoke too soon! New 650 revealed today.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...olest-new-cars

ICE350-to each his/her own, but I'm assuming you are calling the "bangle" cars the ones I was referring to as being more "stylish"?

I think they are misfits in the heritage of Bimmers. Why change a classic? Look at the popularity of the Mustang since 2005...why? Because it went back to its roots. I bet five years from now we'll look back on this series of MBZ cars and say the same thing. They really strayed away from their roots.

Why????? Infiniti and Lexus and even Acura stealing share. Caddy's CTS stealing share too from the 3 series and C class.

IMO the current 3 series is the ugliest out of the new Bimmer lineup. I personally like the more chisled front nose and fastbacks of the 5 and 7 series, and now looks like the 6 series will follow suit. The 3 series is so plan...YUK>>>> they HAVE to be eating fumes from IS/G and others in the same segment right now. Very very very plain. Last TWO series of 3's were MUCH better...dating all the way back to 1998 E36, E46 or whatever they call themselves.

LOL...I share your passion for Lexus cars, and I love the GS (I bought my mother in law a 2009 GS350 and owned a 93 GS300) but I might have to really think and stretch on the comment about a GS looking good among the Maserati Gran Sport or Spyder. Maybe it was the 80's version you were next to? LOL Surely not one of these below!!! Might have to sell me on that one!!! mmmmmmmm Nice May be my next car. 400hp Ferrari engine skyhook suspesion F1 paddles. Circa 2003-2005. In 05 they added some much needed aero to the front, changed the grill, new wheels and rear aero too. Forget about the Gran Sport--OUCH!! $$$ The series below is actually getting down into the mid to high $20k's right now and a super pristine collector car can be found in the mid $30k's. What a value! No doubt the GS will be on the road longer and start up more consistently, certainly haul more and be in the shop less...
Attached Thumbnails BMW 650i your kidding-spyder.jpg   BMW 650i your kidding-maserati_spyder_anniversary.jpg   BMW 650i your kidding-maserati_spyder.jpg  
Old 12-21-10, 06:01 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
We spoke too soon! New 650 revealed today.

ICE350-to each his/her own, but I'm assuming you are calling the "bangle" cars the ones I was referring to as being more "stylish"?

I think they are misfits in the heritage of Bimmers. Why change a classic? Look at the popularity of the Mustang since 2005...why? Because it went back to its roots. I bet five years from now we'll look back on this series of MBZ cars and say the same thing. They really strayed away from their roots.

Why????? Infiniti and Lexus and even Acura stealing share. Caddy's CTS stealing share too from the 3 series and C class.

IMO the current 3 series is the ugliest out of the new Bimmer lineup. I personally like the more chisled front nose and fastbacks of the 5 and 7 series, and now looks like the 6 series will follow suit. The 3 series is so plan...YUK>>>> they HAVE to be eating fumes from IS/G and others in the same segment right now. Very very very plain. Last TWO series of 3's were MUCH better...dating all the way back to 1998 E36, E46 or whatever they call themselves.

LOL...I share your passion for Lexus cars, and I love the GS (I bought my mother in law a 2009 GS350 and owned a 93 GS300) but I might have to really think and stretch on the comment about a GS looking good among the Maserati Gran Sport or Spyder. Maybe it was the 80's version you were next to? LOL Surely not one of these below!!! Might have to sell me on that one!!! mmmmmmmm Nice May be my next car. 400hp Ferrari engine skyhook suspesion F1 paddles. Circa 2003-2005. In 05 they added some much needed aero to the front, changed the grill, new wheels and rear aero too. Forget about the Gran Sport--OUCH!! $$$ The series below is actually getting down into the mid to high $20k's right now and a super pristine collector car can be found in the mid $30k's. What a value! No doubt the GS will be on the road longer and start up more consistently, certainly haul more and be in the shop less...
It was the current Maserati coupe I was referring to and not the past model you posted. I'm not saying the GS looks as good as the Maserati. I'm saying it can hang with it and other high style cars....at least modded GS cars can.
Bimmers can't hang with this crowd. They look too plain or understated. The Bangle Bimmers were closer but not the cars are less stylish.
THAT IS A FACT....NOT MY OPINION! Just look at them. Can't deny it.
My main point is that I wouldn't spend 50K+ on a car that looked understated. If you and others can, more power to ya.

I have been trying to like the new 5 series. I was standing next to one Sunday staring at it. Walking around it. It's just ugly imo. Not really ugly just plain. The front is ugly though. I don't get it. I don't have to either. Just having fun.
Old 12-22-10, 03:45 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I have learned so much from this board, but if there is one fault, so many have pounded into my head that my overweight luxo cruiser is not a sports car. My mods are few only shaving a bit off factory times. Beautiful day in Florida 72 degrees, top down, my ten year old co-pilot enjoying life.

We have a BMW dealership right off the interstate, and a 650i window sticker in place is staring us down at the on ramp. No expectation my eight year old LB can stay in the shadow of this 90k bimmer. I hope that wasn't a test drive because lucky pulled ahead effortlessly with the bimmer pathetically passing us when it caught up to our cruising speed of 80mph Im never going mistake lucky for her supercharged garage mate, but with only 288hp she still has the push to demand respect!
All I'll say is it wouldn't have even been close if the 650i driver was trying. Having owned and experienced 2 SC430s, a 645Cic, a 650i, and an M6, in my opinion the 6 Series devours the SC in terms of torque and horsepower. The SC430 is a classic and a gorgeous car, but the 6 beats it off the line and has much longer legs.
Old 12-22-10, 03:21 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
All I'll say is it wouldn't have even been close if the 650i driver was trying. Having owned and experienced 2 SC430s, a 645Cic, a 650i, and an M6, in my opinion the 6 Series devours the SC in terms of torque and horsepower. The SC430 is a classic and a gorgeous car, but the 6 beats it off the line and has much longer legs.
The only reason I picked my SC over a Bimmer is value. I have loved the cars since I was in a roll over in a 5 series, and walked away. That said, red light two lanes merge, I can barely hear LB but the BMW is screaming trying to get ahead of the merge. DENIED. It was not an M, but a brand new convertible. Fact over advertising.
Old 12-22-10, 03:58 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Kaiser beat a M3 before too!!!

I DO believe him and believe it is totally possible for a SC430 to smoke a 645 AND a 650 due mainly to weight.

Although many people commonly look at horsepower and torque for standard "speed" or "power" assumptions, remember weight is a very, very important factor---especially with luxo cruisers like the SC and 6 series.

SC430 weighs 400 pounds LESS than the 650 (3814 vs 4277)....that's a no-brainer.

SC weighs 460lbs less than the 645 convertible. 463 less than the 650...I've checked a few spots and for some reason the 650 weighs less than the 645?? Strange, but according to several sources it's true.

So...460lbs trumps how much horsepower??? 645 gives you 25 more hp and the 650 gives you 60 more hp than the SC. I think it's perfectly feasable that a SC430 can beat a 645/650 convertible. Maybe not a coupe, those are same weight as the SC with more HP and certainly not either of the M6's.

Something else to consider...the 6 series peak torque performance is measured at TWICE the RPM's as the SC...6k to 3k. Interesting. What does that look like on the street????

I'm putting my money on the SC vs both 645 and 650 verts. I'm doubling down on Kaiser's LB too! Just my two cents!
Old 12-22-10, 07:27 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop;
Kaiser beat a M3 before too!!! !
Actually tried to beat an 03 M3, which is not nearly as fast as the new M3. The 03 left me behind with plenty to spare I wouldn't waste the gas trying to beat even an old //M car. Worst loss to date was my neighbors wife in a jeep suv. Srt8 version with about six adults in it blew me away. This is why I am so shocked the new bimmer is so under powered.
Old 12-23-10, 04:54 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me just say that I believe Kaiser. However, I still think the only way a bone stock SC430 beats a 650i is when the BMW driver isn't trying or doesn't know how to drive their car...particularly if the 650i is equipped with an SMG transmission. If it was a late model 6 Series that Kaiser was up against, it probably was equipped with the SMG. I recently encountered an S550 that was next to me at a red light; at the green light he roared off the line and I did as well...1st gear we were door to door, 2nd gear I looked him dead in the eye, said good-bye, and blew away. Granted, the M6 is a 500hp V10; but I wasn't able to drive the M with such alacrity for some months after the break-in period because I had to learn how to properly work the SMG. For anyone who ever encounters the SMG, you have to treat 1st gear brutally; otherwise, the car just lurches and 2nd gear then becomes the primary pulling gear. Yes, the 6 Series is a heavier car. I remember when I traded my `04 SC430 for an `05 645Cic, the weight was the first thing I noticed when I test drove the 6; the next thing I noticed was the significant amount of power. Don't be fooled, weight is your friend on the 6; the car doesn't bounce around and you feel planted to the road as opposed to bloated or heavy. Please take my comments in the spirit of a car enthusiast and not someone who is taking swipes at the SC...as my signature reveals, I have been a long-time fan of Lexus...but, I strongly encourage folks here, particularly Kaiser since he appears to have a BMW dealership close by, to test drive a 6 and understand better what I'm describing.

Merry Christmas all!!