SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Map/Dome Light Replacement??!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 03:22 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 884 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Awesome LEDs! I just ordered them to experiment with the different light levels.
the current 12smd LEDs is not enough light.

i will have 15, 36 and 48 LEDs to experiment with...

the 48 LEDs May make it look like I am on stage at night! LoL
Old 04-27-18, 06:22 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

I just ordered these because I wanted a more natural looking color temp for the inside map/dome lights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6X-Warm-Whi...72.m2749.l2649
....just ordered some of these also, need to start updating my interior lighting
Old 04-28-18, 05:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered these because I wanted a more natural looking color temp for the inside map/dome lights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6X-Warm-Whi...72.m2749.l2649
Darn it, they ran out of LEDs and cancelled my order...no big deal. I will experiment with the others that are arriving today.

here is the message I received from the ebay seller. I would say they are good sellers because they refunded my money and didn’t make me wait weeks for the LEDs.

“Thank you for your order and sorry to bother you here.
We are writing to let you know that the item was oversell as hot sell .
Thus we contact you asap in case of this affecting much on your plan.
We will cancel the order and do refund for you first.
If you still like this, you can reorder when the new batch come.
Any problem pls contact us freely. Really sorry for the inconvenience.”
Old 04-28-18, 06:16 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

Darn it, they ran out of LEDs and cancelled my order...no big deal. I will experiment with the others that are arriving today.

here is the message I received from the ebay seller. I would say they are good sellers because they refunded my money and didn’t make me wait weeks for the LEDs.

They seem like a good vendor. I ordered and 2 days later the package was in my mailbox. For 8 bucks delivered I don't understand how they can make any profit on these. I tried out the lights last night and in the dark they strike a good balance by improving visibility but not being too bright. Also very much like the warmer color as I am not a fan of cold blueish led lights. I have that type in my door puddle lights and really dislike the color and light they produce.
Old 04-29-18, 08:18 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

... I received that same message also.....keep us informed on the other leds that you ordered, maybe they will be another option
Old 04-30-18, 01:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I received the 48 LED panels but they were a little to big.

now I am waiting on the 36 LED panels and I am sure they will fit.
Old 05-02-18, 07:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered these...warm white with 20 LEDs.

still waiting on the 36 LED lights...they are coming from China also...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-12-15-20-...GgvNtF3XtRmRog
Old 12-08-18, 02:17 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Resurrecting this old thread as it seems most applicable for my situation...2002 SC bought earlier this year...

Map lights never worked since I bought it, so am now tackling this project. Driver's side had no bulb, passenger side had a burned out one. Ordered the LED kit mentioned above from Ebay (link) and proceeded to install. I could not get to work initially yesterday, even trying many combinations of OFF and DOOR switch, pushing the map light buttons, reversing polarity, etc. Nothing.

So I tried again this morning. Still no luck, then noticed the garage door button stopped working. Looked thru the owners manual and verified Fuse #19 had blown (though audio system was still working). Replaced fuse, all working again except the map lights. Tried a new regular incandescent bulb and could get it to work on the drivers side, but only if you rotated it in the socket about halfway (bulb felt loose in the socket at full insertion). Couldn't get the bulb to even flicker in the passenger side. Removed the driver's bulb and used my fingers to try to reposition the socket when a small spark occurred which fried the fuse again. I removed the light assembly to see if something looked obviously amiss but wasn't sure what to look for.

I replaced the assembly and fuse and got it working half-way with the one driver's side bulb (it does dim on/off as expected). Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot why the passenger side is not working? I'd buy another assembly if I thought that would solve the problem...

^^ no bulb when I removed the cover

^^ assembly removed for inspection
Old 12-08-18, 02:31 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Well, the module is obviously getting voltage since you got your driver's side bulb working, so more than likely, the passenger side bulb is just not getting voltage. More than likely, one of the switches in the module are either dirty or gone bad. (Fairly common.)

Here's a couple of links to help you diagnose and repair those switches.
See post #111 on this one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-to-mod-8.html
and begin with post #1 with this one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10264823

You could be dealing with both the individual light switches at the top and the door switch in the middle. They both get dirty and need to be cleaned once they get that way.
Let us know how it turns out.
The following users liked this post:
mak99 (12-08-18)
Old 12-08-18, 03:05 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

^^ Harold, thanks for the links. I'll tackle this later (hopefully this weekend) and report back. I also found this thread which mentions the loose-ish contacts.

FWIW I did try to unclip the assembly's wiring connector but was not getting far (small area and big hands don't help ). Any suggestions/tools you might recommend for disconnection so I can bring the assembly inside for cleaning?

I might also search online for a replacement assembly, either used or new - just need to verify the part #.
Old 12-08-18, 03:28 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Yeah, as I remember, that connector is a pain to unlatch. The trick is to push down on the locking latch while pulling it apart. Unfortunately, it is more difficult than it sounds.

Regarding the thread that JohnnyCake started, I'd suspect the switches in his were the culprits. Intermittent connections will typically point towards a dirty contact. In my case (in the 2nd thread), it turned out to be the rivet that caused the problem but I had already had issues with the switches in the past and cleaned them.

Last edited by Harold57; 12-08-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-09-18, 03:05 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

@Retroplay

Harold, thanks again for the links - Retroplay's #111 was quite invaluable. I was able to remove the assembly from the car and brought it inside for a thorough disassembly and cleaning. The only downside after reinstalling is there doesn't appear to be any improvement in the driver's side bulb position (still rotated about halfway between insertion and locked position). And now I can't find my other bulb to test the passenger side! Oh well, it was a good exercise to do nonetheless in case I need to repair/replace in the future...

Many thanks to all the forum members before me who have thoroughly documented repair procedures such as this one!
Old 12-09-18, 04:25 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

If you get LED bulbs to replace these, make sure that you get the reversed polarity bulbs or the non-polarity bulbs. The reversed polarity bulbs are the better choice because they have a wider voltage operating range than the non-polarity bulbs. (The non-polarity bulbs will shut down earlier or go dim when the voltage dips but are reasonably equivalent when the vehicle is running.)
Old 11-23-19, 07:39 AM
MarinSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of bulb are those? Any link please...
Old 11-23-19, 07:53 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

The map light bulbs are BA9. When you search for the LED bulbs just do a search on BA9 nonpolar or reversed polar. If the ad doesn't state that, just ask the seller. Sometimes the ad may not be for the proper bulb but they will carry the proper bulb.
The following users liked this post:
MarinSC430 (11-23-19)

Quick Reply: Map/Dome Light Replacement??!!