SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Just purchased my 05 with 15K,what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10 | 06:50 AM
postman56
Driver School Candidate

Default Just purchased my 05 with 15K,what should I do?

Hi everyone, I just purchased my first Lexus sc 430 and was wondering if there is anything I should consider doing at this time?
The car has a measly 15,000 miles on it,still has the run flats on, and has been
serviced regularly with synthetic oil. If there are things I can do to avoid future issues, I'd much appreciate hearing about it.
Ken
Old 12-20-10 | 07:05 AM
Ned Vo
Driver

start driving it
Old 12-20-10 | 07:31 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats and welcome! Here's a list of things I did when I bought mine: An oil change, tire change to non-runflats (I had to buy a spare) and a tire alignment from a non-Lexus shop (I asked to make camber as close to 0 as possible to stop abnormal inner-tread wear (common SC problem)), a new battery (highest power I could found, which was from AutoZone), and an inspection from a local shop. Here's the Maintenance PDF
Old 12-20-10 | 07:33 AM
jomo3640
Driver

Post some pictures and enjoy
Old 12-20-10 | 07:48 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jomo3640
Post some pictures and enjoy
Exactly...!

Old 12-20-10 | 08:49 AM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ned Vo
start driving it
^ what he said. HAHa! Congrats on your new ride btw
Old 12-20-10 | 10:49 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

I would change the oil. Check transmission fluid, engine and cabin filters. Congrats!!
Old 12-20-10 | 11:49 AM
scdroptop

Drop the top and smile!

Before you do anything-you need to check the vehicle maint history on www.lexus.com/owners There you can register your car by the VIN and see what's been done. A 2005 vehicle should have had at least one 30k service because it's by mileage or months...36 months would have been 2008 for it. If they did do it, then good. Next question: When...and were brakes, battery done? Those are common regular maint items that typically get replaced with that service. If it was done in 2008, then in 2011 your car is due again for a 30k service.

I had a 2005 with 37k miles on it. The original 30k service was done back in 2008 and AGAIN in late 2009 as part of the CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) process.

What to do:

If no 30k service was done, then it is way overdue. Do all fluids, filters, wipers, check battery (if it's the original you may want to change), check brake pads, retorque flange bolts, etc. Fluids: oil, tranny, brake flush, power steering flush, coolant and rear differential. Filters: Air, oil and a/c cabin filter. I attached the recommended service intervals for you.

As far as upgrades, this is the appromixate list in order of what SC owners do to their cars for modifications after they buy it. http://www.sewellparts.com/
is a great vendor who has all of this. I'll kind of put them in order of popularity then cost.

1) Wheels and/or tires. Many SCers put on 20" staggered wheels and new tires for a more aggressive sportier look in the rear. Most who keep the original OEM wheels change to non-run flats (as suggested above) for a much softer ride. Another option is to change to 18" Lexus OEM accessory wheels like the g-spiders or tourmalines which are both extremely popular or even on a small scale if you have dinner plate wheels then switch the center caps out to the twist stars instead or exchange for some chrome bling.

2) Update navigation disc. 10.1 is out I believe.
3) Add Vais-Tech iPod adapter and also get rid of that terrible nav welcome screen that haunts you every time you turn the key!
4) Extra set of keys-in case your pre-owned SC only came with one!
5) Change rear tail lights to the 2006+ LED style-very nice look!!! Many also change out cabin lights, license plate lights with LED's too.
6) New floor mats-improve interior smell, look and even feel with some nice plush floor mats.
7) Get Plastic-X and clear those cloudy headlights
8) DRL's-Daytime running lights-either get LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) at dealer to turn off, or replace with LED DRL's (warning, they may flicker) but a ton of members wrestle with this
9) K&N or Blitz performance air filter or Injen Intake system
10) Coilovers-lower the car and stiffen suspension
11) Body kit-Wald, Tom's to name a few. Carson toyota

Others: Blitz throttle controller, Aluminum pedals, car covers, LED lighting everywhere, axle-back exhaust or headers for performance. Iridium Plugs are some other ideas too.

Hope this helps. Do a search on any of the above topics and you will find a plethora of information on them.
Old 12-20-10 | 01:52 PM
VVTiBob

Wink

Don't you hate when the plethora get loose?
Old 12-20-10 | 02:06 PM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Don't you hate when the plethora get loose?
Bob I think you are talking about pantera, not plethora!
Old 12-20-10 | 02:22 PM
mandyfig

LED tails, are these plug and play? How much do the run? Do we replace the small piece on the top, too?
Old 12-20-10 | 02:25 PM
scdroptop

Huge archive on this----check out on search. Very nice write ups on DIY, etc etc.

$650 at Sewell for just tails...well over $1k for the tails and ECU

Yes you replace both pieces and harnesses.

Get the chrome amber bulbs on eBay! Best tip along with waxing your tails and bumper/fenders before you remove to help them slide out!
Old 12-24-10 | 03:52 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Drop the top and smile!

Before you do anything-you need to check the vehicle maint history on www.lexus.com/owners There you can register your car by the VIN and see what's been done. A 2005 vehicle should have had at least one 30k service because it's by mileage or months...36 months would have been 2008 for it. If they did do it, then good. Next question: When...and were brakes, battery done? Those are common regular maint items that typically get replaced with that service. If it was done in 2008, then in 2011 your car is due again for a 30k service.

I had a 2005 with 37k miles on it. The original 30k service was done back in 2008 and AGAIN in late 2009 as part of the CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) process.

What to do:

If no 30k service was done, then it is way overdue. Do all fluids, filters, wipers, check battery (if it's the original you may want to change), check brake pads, retorque flange bolts, etc. Fluids: oil, tranny, brake flush, power steering flush, coolant and rear differential. Filters: Air, oil and a/c cabin filter. I attached the recommended service intervals for you.

As far as upgrades, this is the appromixate list in order of what SC owners do to their cars for modifications after they buy it. http://www.sewellparts.com/
is a great vendor who has all of this. I'll kind of put them in order of popularity then cost.

1) Wheels and/or tires. Many SCers put on 20" staggered wheels and new tires for a more aggressive sportier look in the rear. Most who keep the original OEM wheels change to non-run flats (as suggested above) for a much softer ride. Another option is to change to 18" Lexus OEM accessory wheels like the g-spiders or tourmalines which are both extremely popular or even on a small scale if you have dinner plate wheels then switch the center caps out to the twist stars instead or exchange for some chrome bling.

2) Update navigation disc. 10.1 is out I believe.
3) Add Vais-Tech iPod adapter and also get rid of that terrible nav welcome screen that haunts you every time you turn the key!
4) Extra set of keys-in case your pre-owned SC only came with one!
5) Change rear tail lights to the 2006+ LED style-very nice look!!! Many also change out cabin lights, license plate lights with LED's too.
6) New floor mats-improve interior smell, look and even feel with some nice plush floor mats.
7) Get Plastic-X and clear those cloudy headlights
8) DRL's-Daytime running lights-either get LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) at dealer to turn off, or replace with LED DRL's (warning, they may flicker) but a ton of members wrestle with this
9) K&N or Blitz performance air filter or Injen Intake system
10) Coilovers-lower the car and stiffen suspension
11) Body kit-Wald, Tom's to name a few. Carson toyota

Others: Blitz throttle controller, Aluminum pedals, car covers, LED lighting everywhere, axle-back exhaust or headers for performance. Iridium Plugs are some other ideas too.

Hope this helps. Do a search on any of the above topics and you will find a plethora of information on them.

Concerning number 7. Plastic-X or Plastx by Meguiars.