SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Dealer Detail or Pro Detail? Opinions and Experiences Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 11:32 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you were able to finally work it all out. Your car looks great! Did Brian give you any advice on what to do to KEEP it looking like it does now?

Now that you've experienced detailing from a pro, do you think it was worth it? Would you do it again?

Also, how often would you say an ultimate detailing like this is necessary? I know the answer depends on how someone cares for their car and also on the color. Some colors are just more prone to showing swirls; black probably being the worst.

Do you think a white car like mine could benefit from a super-detailing like this? I just don't know that the dramatic differences you got would show up on my car. And if they don't show up, I'm just wondering if I should ever bother with it.
Old 01-02-11, 07:57 AM
toxic
Driver

Looks absolutely Fanfrickingfantastic!! You found a "professional" and ain't it grand!! I'm going to take some before pics of mine so that all can see what a professional can do!!

TOXIC
Old 01-02-11, 08:56 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
Glad you were able to finally work it all out. Your car looks great! Did Brian give you any advice on what to do to KEEP it looking like it does now?

Now that you've experienced detailing from a pro, do you think it was worth it? Would you do it again?

Also, how often would you say an ultimate detailing like this is necessary? I know the answer depends on how someone cares for their car and also on the color. Some colors are just more prone to showing swirls; black probably being the worst.

Do you think a white car like mine could benefit from a super-detailing like this? I just don't know that the dramatic differences you got would show up on my car. And if they don't show up, I'm just wondering if I should ever bother with it.

Some of my key learnings from watching:

Washing and drying cause a lot of damage to your paint! Ideally you should use low pressure water, microfiber mitt and dry with a water blade (I'm totally buying one of these!!!) and a microfiber chamois for the rest! No towels or sponges!

Going just anywhere or being an average joe at-home-detailer and buffing your car is not recommended. You can actually cause a lot more damage than help your car. Because Lexus Paint is hard (thick layers) you can cut into the clearcoat quite easily-hence me being able to get my key scratch out practically just by hand on my own, but this is also dangerous for you to buff yourself with the wrong speed/pads, etc. He used about 2-3 different machines with a half a dozen different pads on my car. Unreal!!! I'm sold on that for sure!!!

I learned about many stories from local luxury dealers who messed up cars and sent to these guys because they used the wrong pads or buffed too hard for a customer and customer complained, then they had to send out to them to fix it.

Cars need to be waxed, buffed and sealed more regularly than you think. Not sure what the frequency is on ultimate garage queens like some of our cars, but I'm thinking daily drivers 3-4 times per year, part time drivers 2x per year and perhaps ultimate garage queens like Ebony (1k miles per year driven, garaged, etc) maybe once a year.

I absolutely think this service is worth every penny. I couldn't have got the same results on my own or at the dealer or anywhere else. These guys are truly the best detailers I've ever seen. Their work and pictures speak a thousand words!

TooCool-I do think your car could use it for several reasons...#1 reason is our pearl paint is thicker than regular colors which means easy to get deeper swirl marks that don't come out on on your typical hand wax/buff. The other reason is that I know where your car came from and the same as mine-the dealer buff/wax is no where near the level that these guys get to.

I plan on doing it again later this year...it will be my annual Christmas present to myself and Ebony! I will also completely change the way I wash/dry my car and wax/buff it more frequently.

Good news for us Zaino folks is that even the top professionals think it's great stuff-but they said beware of most current products coming from them because they may actually be Mother's product now! I'm going to check into this line when my Zaino runs out...Gloss It. That's what they used and they said it provides more depth, is easier to work with and is more "pure" of a product.

http://www.gloss-it.net/index2.html
Old 01-02-11, 09:28 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey SC - how long did it take you to get an appointment? I am only on the ground for 2 days this week and the gone for 7 days straight through the weekend, home for 3 and then gone for 7 again. Is scheduling with them good?

Looks fantastic. I can't wait to get mine done.
Old 01-02-11, 11:12 AM
scdroptop

One of the neatest part of the process is scheduling online via Schedulicity: http://www.schedulicity.com/Scheduli...usiness=DWM4Y9

You just pick the date/time and they come to you in their pimped out Ford (might have been a former armored car or milk truck or schwann's truck???) super duty truck! LOL My neighbors were peering out their windows like the cops were at my house!

Before you do that, you can get detailed information on their packages. I bought the Signature 2 High Gloss. If your car has never been given a deep professional buff/wax/polish and swirl removal...and you have pearl paint like TooCool and I do, I'd recommend it. Especially on a darker color where swirls show up easily.

Here is their home page again: http://www.detailwerkz.com/home.html

If you have questions about their services, Brian is a nice guy and can answer them via their contact page. Just describe what you want done and he will help match the service with your needs/budget, etc. Again, I'd highly recommend the Signature 2 Polish

This page is what sold me: http://www.detailwerkz.com/luxury_cars.html
Old 01-02-11, 11:32 AM
scdroptop

I need to blow through my Zaino products that I have barely touched since last year, but as soon as I do, I will be for sure buying the Gloss-It line:

http://www.shop.detailwerkz.com/prod...&categoryId=11

Here's a nice total kit 4oz bottles for $160.

Also going to buy this water blade, or a few of them to dry my cars and to use in lieu of the ole squeegee in the shower!

****I used to use the California Car Duster years ago, and this Dry Blade is by the same manufacturers! Very cool!!!

http://www.calcarcover.com/product_list.aspx?cid=100

Another product they used on my car that I also have used for years is Invisible Glass:

http://www.shop.detailwerkz.com/prod...&categoryId=13

By far the best glass cleaner I've ever used! You can get it at Target, Wal-Mart too.

Last edited by scdroptop; 01-02-11 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-02-11, 01:01 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Thanks for the "Gloss-It" link. I was wondering if you could buy that.

So the drying blade really works, huh? I knew of them but have never used one. I guess I figured if they were really that good you would hear more about them and they would be all the rage.

New products like this may revolutionize the way people clean and dry their cars. Some say even "microfiber" products can cause tiny scratches and swirls seen on the detailwerkz website. But we have to use SOMETHING, so exactly what are we supposed to use, especially when we wax and buff our cars?

You mentioned a microfiber mitt for washing. Is that what Brian used? I just wonder what he thinks about the microfiber products.

Did Brian recommend any specific applicators, towels and cloths for waxing and buffing? Do you know what he used....specifically for last step waxing/buffing?

I've always thought a high quality chamois was tough to beat for drying, so it's good to know that's on the approved products list.

Here's another thing I've considered buying for buffing when I wax, but they are pretty expensive, so I haven't done it yet.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/..._Code=Z-BBFT-3
Old 01-02-11, 02:42 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow Scdroptop, we go to the same shop! I still use the duster and then the zaino detailer on a nearly daily basis-dust is ok, but dirt is a huge no-no. I use the silicon blades for years with good results. But for some reason, I couldn't feel right about using it on my sc. I actually get in trouble with the wife because I use the blade on her infiniti but wont touch the sc with it (lol). For glass i've used invisible glass for a couple of years now-it is THE best. Ironically, walmart carries most of these products and has the best price by far. You talked me into the professional detail though. I noticed the web site for gloss-it has a detailer near me, so I might give it a try in the spring. Funny, they had the top detail called concourse starting at $1400. They also had a mid-priced detail at $300 and a basic for $180. It was still a full detail starting with clay bar and doing the interior, leather, and engine compartment. I might even see if I can get a deal on all 3 of my cars. You have good taste, Derek!

John
Old 01-02-11, 03:48 PM
scdroptop

John-I just wanna be like you when I grow up! You set the pace with that garage of yours and I wish I had your Luxlink!

I used to mess around with Rain-X window cleaner but it left a residue.

So-do you think the blades (specifically the california car duster one) might harm or scratch the car?
Old 01-02-11, 03:51 PM
dzy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailer for the SF Bay Area?

Can somebody recommend a professional detailer for the SF Bay Area?
Old 01-02-11, 04:08 PM
scdroptop

If porsche owners would recommend, I'd feel safe with that!

Looks like they recommend Keatley's...they use Zaino products so you know you are getting good stuff, which is half the battle!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...francisco.html

**I would ask in the regional forums too***
Old 01-02-11, 04:41 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

I've always been nervous about those blades. One catch of dust on the car and BAM scratches...

I've been using a cordless electric blower. You can get one at any hardware stores for less than $100. The neighbors think I'm crazy blowing the car dry.
Old 01-02-11, 06:30 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

I personally hate to run something like that over the sc. Its also a good point that a little piece of dust will do damage with a blade and I'm not willing to take the chance. I am really sorry to hear zaino sold out. I only hope they dont change the product-thats why they had success.
Old 01-02-11, 07:15 PM
scdroptop

Now you guys got me thinking...but if you wash your car and nothing else touches it in between the seconds you grab your clean/dust free blade and put it on the car what is the likelihood of that happening? Whereas any type of towel, on the other hand, could easy have a piece of dust/dirt or whatever stuck between the fibers. Zaino experts say to use a 100% cotton white towel for drying.

Huy-funny you mention the blower...they used that too! I forgot to mention that.
Old 01-03-11, 05:19 AM
toxic
Driver

I have 3 black vehicles and have been using the blade for years. It is surgical silicone and guaranteed not to scratch. Those of us who are a tad **** about cleaning know the importance of getting all of the dirt off before using the blade and I actually pull the vehicle(s) into the garage directly after washing to make sure no airborne dust gets on them before blading. You will see swirls from washing long before you see any from the blade used properly. Now for washing, check into the ultimate wash bucket system that is 2 buckets on rollers so that you double rinse your mitt before washing another area. I have an oblong bucket with the grate in the bottom to let the grit fall through. With black vehicles it is not "if" but "when" you are going to get swirls. You just have to be as careful as possible and when you get enough of them it bothers you go to the pro's and get them taken out. WORD!!

TOXIC

Quick Reply: Dealer Detail or Pro Detail? Opinions and Experiences Needed