SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
View Poll Results: Synthetic vs Regukar oil?
Yes
79.52%
No
13.25%
Going to
2.41%
Never would!
4.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Synthetic vs regular oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 04:26 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Just for the record, I'm not convinced that (although I use) synthetic really does anything different.

Here are some myths/truths about Synthetics by the original founders of Synthetic Oil, Amsoil back in 1972...

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...ynthetic-oils/

Here is what the # 1 profit yielding, consumer gouging oil producer, Mobil says:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...AQs.aspx#FAQs4

Last edited by scdroptop; 12-29-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-29-10, 05:01 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually feel the difference in using Synthetic oil, but my car (RX330) has 120k miles
Old 12-29-10, 06:38 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberlexus
I actually feel the difference in using Synthetic oil, but my car (RX330) has 120k miles
I can only assume your comment is tongue in cheek. You can't be serious. If so, I got a good laugh.
Old 12-29-10, 07:55 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My mechanic, who is a motor head, said that he did not believe in synthetic motor oil way back when, when he was drag racing and blowing up engines. However, he said that once he changed to synthetic he did NOT blow up engines any more and today he is a firm believer in synthetic! If you don't drive your car to it's limits/hard and change your oil often, it probably won't matter much, but for piece of mind and insurance I use synthetic. On colder days I think you can actually tell the difference when you start your car, it starts easier.

Last edited by sixonemale; 12-29-10 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-30-10, 09:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Plus 2^^.

I now have realized that even though my oil looks good but I do not know if it is synthetic, to make sure it helps the engine (such as starts on winter time) I must drain and fill with synthetic oil now.

Thanks for this good information.
Old 12-30-10, 12:28 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
My mechanic, who is a motor head, said that he did not believe in synthetic motor oil way back when, when he was drag racing and blowing up engines. However, he said that once he changed to synthetic he did NOT blow up engines any more and today he is a firm believer in synthetic! If you don't drive your car to it's limits/hard and change your oil often, it probably won't matter much, but for piece of mind and insurance I use synthetic. On colder days I think you can actually tell the difference when you start your car, it starts easier.
My RSX switched to synthetic 10w30 since I often floor it. However, it seem harder to start the car after the switch, the igition has 1~2 seconds delay before engine start.
Old 12-31-10, 03:25 PM
tamblers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car is subjected to extreme temperatures there's really no choice but synthetic. I live in Western Canada and drive my SC430 year round. Last winter the temperature dropped to -47C (-52F). It sat outside at work all day. The only way to insure that oil will reach the moving engine parts quickly on start up is to use a synthetic oil.
Old 12-31-10, 11:22 PM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread as there are proponents and opponents on this subject. Interestingly enough, the proponents appear to be quoting real world experiences for their rational of using synthetic lubes, while the few "nay sayers" reply emotionally without rational. And, "iolmaster", just for your info, regarding the lengthy info item I provided, no, I am not an "oil company employee", I'm just a grateful SC owner who also flew USAF fighter jets for 25 years and understand the benefits of synthetic lubes in both jet and piston engines. Suggest the "nay sayers" provide rational for not selecting synthetics, however, before doing so, suggest they research the use of synthetics in NASCAR, DOD, GM, Ford, etc.
Old 01-01-11, 05:27 AM
iolmaster
Racer

If our engines operated at the same temperature as a jet engine or a race engine I would agree. However, they do not, and there is no evidence that using a synthetic in a normal car increases the life expectancy of the engine. All of the independent research indicates that if you change your oil as required, your engine will last just as long with regular oil as synthetic. And as to the claim that someone can feel the difference in synthetic oil in the car is just absurd. That is nothing else but the placebo effect. I just paid $70.00 for an oil change and I must be able to feel the difference. We may like to think we do, but we ain't flyin F16s. The only thing that has been proven in normal use is you can extend the interval of your oil change. When they start selling $40.00 synthetic oil changes it might make sense to switch so I can go longer between changes. And lugnuts, I have a friend that was a mechanic on the Forrestal. He serviced F4s and A7s. He understands the difference in the operating temperatures of the two applications. He uses regular oil in his cars.
Old 01-01-11, 06:48 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good discussions here! I'll have to start some other threads..

Katy
Old 01-01-11, 07:02 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

The first paragraph below supports some of the claims made that some of us made stating that we can tell a difference when starting a car with synthetic oil on a cold day:

Low Temperature Performance

• Natural oils contain a number of impurities, specifically sulfur and hydrocarbons. When an engine is first started, these impurities can inhibit the flow of oil through the engine, delaying the ability of the oil to properly lubricate moving engine components. Because synthetic oil is specifically designed to work under both low and high temperature conditions, it lacks the inhibitors that slow oil distribution; the performance-oriented synthetic oil can be quickly distributed throughout an engine almost immediately after the engine is started. According to automotive experts at Car Craft Magazine, the 0W-30 weight synthetic oil, manufactured specifically for cold conditions, flows approximately seven times faster than natural oil when an engine is first started.

High Temperature Performance

• Engine temperatures can reach extreme highs under normal operating conditions, and a number of factors--including traffic jams, extended stop-and-go conditions, and even long drive-through lines---can push temperatures even higher. Natural oil is composed of an "inconsistent mixture of long and short chains of carbon and hydrogen atoms." This inconsistency allows natural oils to break down quickly, losing a portion of their viscosity at high operating temperatures. In contrast, the specially designed synthetic oils are engineered to withstand the highest operating temperatures of an engine, providing maximum lubrication under a wide spectrum of operating conditions.

High Mileage Engines

• Conventional, natural motor oils contain a number of contaminants, and these substances can contribute to build-up in a vehicle's engine. Over time, small deposits of sulfur, hydrocarbons, and even wax can accumulate on the moving components of an engine and inhibit its operation, a condition sometimes advertised as "robbing a car of its horsepower." Synthetic oils are engineered not to build up on engine components, and some are designed to clean engines as they lubricate. For this reason, many automotive experts recommend synthetic motor oils for vehicles with more than 100,000 miles.

Last edited by sixonemale; 01-01-11 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-01-11, 07:45 AM
iolmaster
Racer

These are advertising claims not independent documentation. I concede that there may be some extreme operating conditions that may favor synthetics. A traffic jam is not one of them. Everything else is just advertising trying to market a product that has a much higher margin. I know, my next door neighbor is a Speedee franchisee. The margins are dramatically different. He loves selling synthetic oil changes. He makes three times as much.
Old 01-01-11, 08:23 AM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by iolmaster
These are advertising claims not independent documentation. I concede that there may be some extreme operating conditions that may favor synthetics. A traffic jam is not one of them. Everything else is just advertising trying to market a product that has a much higher margin. I know, my next door neighbor is a Speedee franchisee. The margins are dramatically different. He loves selling synthetic oil changes. He makes three times as much.
Totally agree with you...very biased info-mercials on their own synthetic oils....so to be fair balanced myself (remember I do synthetic oil but don't necessarily think that it does anything of measurable value in short term)...here are some OTHER points of view from non-petroleum companies:

JD Power
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/article...ic-Motor-Oils/

Inside Line-independent research by an engineer on this video:
http://www.insideline.com/car-video/ot_3.html

Popular Mechanics
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...oducts/4213451

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Consumer Reports
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...s-reality.html

Paradise Garage-very interesting read here and their independent study
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

****Think we are divided on this discussion???? Edmunds Town Talk Forum has 884 pages of the debate with over 6387 posts!!!!****

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9950a
Old 01-01-11, 08:45 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

This is unquestionably a passionate topic! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that today’s synthetic oil is superior to natural motor oil. You will not find an Indy or super high end car that does not use it or come with it new. The real question is, do you operate your car under extreme conditions, or do you drive it to its limits? As I’ve said earlier if you live in a mild climate and do not drive your car hard, in addition to changing your oil frequently, conventional oil will suffice, especially if you do not plan to own your car for a long period of time.

In summary it’s a simple cost/benefit analysis, if you drive your car hard and live in area where temperatures are somewhat extreme, I would absolutely use synthetic motor oil for peace of mind. Where I disagree with the claim on synthetic motor oil is that you can change your oil less often. From one perspective this does make sense. More specifically, the chemical properties of synthetic do not break down as quick as natural motor oil. Where this claim does not make sense is that one must look at the changing color of their motor oil, meaning that dirt will still make its way into the engine and once motor oil is dark brown or black in color it should be changed regardless of whether or not it’s synthetic or natural motor oil.

PS This has been a great discussion and this will be my last post on this topic. It’s okay if we all agree to disagree. Thanks for the fun discussion!

Last edited by sixonemale; 01-19-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 08:52 AM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by sixonemale
PS This has been a great discussion and this will be my last post on this topic. It’s okay if we all agree to disagree. Thanks for the fun discussion!
Me too...over and out. Agree to disagree works great with co-workers and spouses too!

Quick Reply: Poll: Synthetic vs regular oil?