SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Old 12-15-14, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-22, 03:35 PM
arkijak
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I found a 2007 with 62k miles, one owner at a used car lot. A few concerns.
1) Car overheated in 2008 with 15k miles.

2)at 18k miles in 2009 oil pan replaced along with transfer strut and “sub assembly “ right front lower control arm and radius rod.“PRESSED IN HUB AND BUSHING. TRANFERED STRUTS ASSEMBLYS PER CONCORD COLLISION REQUESTS

Service: REPLACED CONTROL ARMS

Description: REPLACED CONTROL ARMS ~|~REPLACE LEFT FRONT KNUCKLE AND CONTROL ARM. SHIFT SUB FRAME ~|~F ~|~17775 BODY SHOP CHECKED THE FRONT END ALIGNMENT,FOUND THE CASTER AND CAMBER WAY OFF.REPLAVCED THE UPPER A-ARM,KNUCKLE ASSEMBLY,LOWER CONTROL ARM AND THE BALL JOINT ASSEMBLY.RECHECKED THE ALIGNMENT SPECK LEFT SIDE IS NOW AJUSTABLE PERFORMED ALIGNMENT OK

No accidents were reported on Carfax, but service records state. “XXXXXX (name withheld) BODY SHOP CHECKED THE FRONT END ALIGNMENT,FOUND THE CASTER AND CAMBER WAY OFF.REPLAVCED THE UPPER A-ARM,KNUCKLE ASSEMBLY,LOWER CONTROL ARM AND THE BALL JOINT ASSEMBLY.RECHECKED THE ALIGNMENT SPECK LEFT SIDE IS NOW AJUSTABLE PERFORMED ALIGNMENT OK”

I recall somewhere reading that the car was stolen for one day at this mileage. Looks like some joy riders hit something under the car.

3) in 2016 at 44k miles service record indicated water pump leaking​​​​​, BUT there is no record of it being replaced. No record of timing belt replaced.

Should I pass on this purchase?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-22, 04:39 PM
arkijak
Driver School Candidate

Default Pass on this SC430?

am looking at a 2007 SC 430 with 63,000 miles, one owner, from used car lot. I have some concerns:

1) The car apparently overheated with less than 18,000 miles. Is this an issue with the aluminum block and heads?.

2) The Carfax did not indicate any accidents, however it looks like the vehicle was stolen for one day and joy riders may have hit something under the car. Please see the following quoted material from the Lexus owners link provided by “doobs:”

@ 18k miles,summer of 2009

INSTALL OIL PAN

Description: INSTALL OIL PAN ~|~INSTALL OIL PAN ~REQUEST INSTALLED A NEW OIL PAN ASSEMBLY

Service: INSTALL STRUT

Description: INSTALL STRUT ~|~TRANSFER STRUT PER BODYSHOP REQUESTS ~REQUEST TRANSFER RIGHT REAR STRUT PER Name withheld COLLISION REUQEST

Service: INSTALL SUB FRAME

Description:

Service: INSTALL TIRES

Description: INSTALL TIRES ~ THREE NEW TIRE TO BE INSTALLED ON FOUR NEW RIMS. INSPECT AND TRANFER LEFT FRONT TIRE. NOTIFCE SHOP IF NEEDS TO BE REPLACED ~INSTALL TIRES ON NEW RIMS. FOUND LEFT FRONT TIRE NEEDS TO BE REPLACED ALSO NO GOOD. ADVISED Name Withheld COLLISION.

Service: N

Description: N ~|~CUSTOMER STATES TO REPLACE RIGHT FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM AND RADIUS ROD ~|BENT REPLACED THE RIGHT LOWER CONTROL ARM AND RADIUS ROD ASSEMBLY.1.5

Service: PERFORMED ALIGNMENT

Description: PERFORMED ALIGNMENT ~|~PERFORM ALIGNMENT ~| BODY SHOP PREFORMEND A FINAL ALIGNMENT.CAR IS WITH IN SPECK.2.0

Service: REPLACE HUB ASSEMBLY

Description:

Service: REPLACE STRUT

Description: REPLACE STRUT ~|~PRESS HUB AND BUSHING PER CONCORD COLLLISON REQUESTS ~REQUEST PRESSED IN HUB AND BUSHING. TRANFERED STRUTS ASSEMBLYS PER Name withheld COLLISION REQUESTS

Description: REPLACED CONTROL ARMS ~|~REPLACE LEFT FRONT KNUCKLE AND CONTROL ARM. SHIFT SUB FRAME ~BODY SHOP CHECKED THE FRONT END ALIGNMENT,FOUND THE CASTER AND CAMBER WAY OFF.REPLAVCED THE UPPER A-ARM,KNUCKLE ASSEMBLY,LOWER CONTROL ARM AND THE BALL JOINT ASSEMBLY.RECHECKED THE ALIGNMENT SPECK LEFT SIDE IS NOW AJUSTABLE PERFORMED ALIGNMENT OK READ LESS

PRESSED IN HUB AND BUSHING. TRANFERED STRUTS ASSEMBLYS PER Name withheld COLLISION REQUESTS

Description: REPLACED CONTROL ARMS ~|~REPLACE LEFT FRONT KNUCKLE AND CONTROL ARM. SHIFT SUB FRAME ~BODY SHOP CHECKED THE FRONT END ALIGNMENT,FOUND THE CASTER AND CAMBER WAY OFF.REPLAVCED THE UPPER A-ARM,KNUCKLE ASSEMBLY,LOWER CONTROL ARM AND THE BALL JOINT ASSEMBLY.RECHECKED THE ALIGNMENT SPECK LEFT SIDE IS NOW AJUSTABLE PERFORMED ALIGNMENT OK

3) 2016, at 44k miles. “Lexus World class inspection” discovered leaking water pump. There is no record of the water pump being replaced. Also there is no record of the timing belt being replaced.

Should I forget about this car and continue looking for another? I would appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-22, 05:54 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

How much they asked for ? What is the odo now? How did you know the car was overheated? How bad?
Water leak meant the TB need to be replaced soon. $1500. Any other thing damaged underneath?
Depend on the price. If under 15k, I’d consider.
Old 06-19-22, 07:22 PM
arkijak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GmanSC
How much they asked for ? What is the odo now? How did you know the car was overheated? How bad?
Water leak meant the TB need to be replaced soon. $1500. Any other thing damaged underneath?
Depend on the price. If under 15k, I’d consider.
it currently has 63,000 miles. All the information I listed, Including the fact that it was overheated,is from the Lexus site that shows the records by putting in the Vin number. They want $25,000 for it. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-20-22, 02:41 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

If it was me, I would keep looking. Especially at that price.

Good luck on your search. I got lucky when I bought mine.

Old 06-20-22, 07:13 AM
arkijak
Driver School Candidate

Thanks doobs. What would you value the car at?
Old 06-20-22, 07:34 AM
arkijak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doobs
If it was me, I would keep looking. Especially at that price.

Good luck on your search. I got lucky when I bought mine.
thanks again doobs. At what value would you place on the car?
Old 07-01-22, 08:53 AM
arkijak
Driver School Candidate

Default Is this a fair deal?

Found a well maintained higher mileage SC430. I would like the forum’s opinion on purchasing this https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JTHFN48Y969005066
Old 07-01-22, 11:16 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Not a bad buy. The only concern I have is the TB and WP have ever been changed? When?
Despite the fact that this vehicle have had 7 owners, I would consider.
Old 07-01-22, 12:05 PM
arkijak
Driver School Candidate

Thanx GmanSC. Timing belt replaced August 2019 at 149140 MILES from Lexus Drivers site. No records for last 2.5 years.
Old 07-09-22, 07:04 AM
Ronnee
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 0r 2006

Hope I am posting this to the right place, new to the forum.

I'm looking to purchase a SC430. I'm looking at a 2003 (Black/Saddle) with 95,000 miles and 2006 (Gray/Cream like interior) with 133,000 miles. Both have service records up to date, timing belt/water pump changed and no accidents. The 2006 is $2500 more in price.

Is it better to go with the 2006 even though it has higher mileage?

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-09-22, 07:54 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

As an owner of an 07 SC, I would recommend the '06.

There were a lot of improvements made to the 06+ models.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Ronnee (07-09-22)
Old 07-09-22, 08:41 AM
arkijak
Driver School Candidate

I am also looking, and for me selling it in the future is an additional concern. So it depends on how you are going to use it. If it’s for weekend joy rides and you plan on keeping it for a long time, I would be ok with the higher mileage car. If it’s going to be driven more and plan on selling it in a year or two I’d go with the lower mileage. Other than the transmission adding another gear, knee protective airbags and cosmetic changes the two sound equal. I am looking at driving mine under 3k miles yearly and the longest trip being up the coast 30 miles. I’d save that $2500 and spend it on larger wheels and tires. Good luck! Let us know how it works out.
Old 07-09-22, 09:45 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

06 for sure.
Old 07-09-22, 11:36 AM
Ronnee
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your feedback! It's going to be more of a weekend car. I have an SUV that I will drive daily when I go into work.

Quick Reply: Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430