SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Old 12-15-14, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-17, 10:13 AM
jg92jg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone happen to know the average of how long these cars are on the market? I am trying to negotiate with a few sellers and I would like to know the average time the cars are on the market for leverage purposes. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-27-17, 10:30 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by jg92jg
Does anyone happen to know the average of how long these cars are on the market? I am trying to negotiate with a few sellers and I would like to know the average time the cars are on the market for leverage purposes. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Too many factors are involved for a good answer.
It depends on year, miles, condition, region of country etc.
I watch Craigslist and cargurus.com
I have seen some cars last a Day and others months.

Example, there was a red 2008,45k mile, two owner SC430 in Wisconsin two weeks ago, it was old in a week, they were asking $25k

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...owe-2017-10-26
Old 08-18-18, 07:32 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

I have been a member of this lexus forum for a few years and it has helped me deal with the minimal problems i have had with some of the 8 Lexuses i have owned. Over the years i have toyed with the idea of buying an older SC430 but never pulled the trigger...not sure why. I have been retired for a looooooooooong time so i only need a second car occasionally ...drive my Miata about 3k a year. Now i am thinking about finally moving up to a used SC...getting harder and harder to get in and out of the Miata!... I have been searching the internet all over the place..primarily use Car Gurus but also other sites. Originally, i thought i would buy a 2002 with 100k miles on it...dont really want to buy low mileage car...pay premium..when the higher mileage car should work well like the Miata i have...104k...bought it 2 years ago with 99K on it. Im not a mechanical guy beyond primary stuff and have no interest in the performance element of an SC430 or any other car if it runs reasonably well..Im ok. Over the last 30 years i have found the Lexuses i owned from LS to ES to RX all run like a top if you get the mainenance done as i have albeit never at a Lexus dealer!
I have found a locally owned SC430...2003 with 118K miles...looks good in the pictures and the Carfax is clean and shows a ton...ton of maintenance.Can buy the car for no more than $10,800 which, from my research is a decent price if the car is ok mechanically. i have found a local Lexus shop ...not dealer ..who will do a thorough inspection of the car for a very reasonable fee....i wouldnt buy any high mileage without it...and Im thinking i may get that done and buy this black on black 2003.
Today i spent a long time reading all of the posts on this and other threads related to the SC430....i am overwhelmed and appreciative by the amount of work that went into what is available here....you folks are pretty spectacular for sure! That said i came away with a few conclusions.
1.The SC430 seems to high tech i wonder about buying an old one...e.g. 2002 vs not settling for anything less than a 2006 when they made a few upgrades
2.Not sure I am prepared to own a car that may need a lot of non service type maintenance and repairs...$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Not that i cant afford it..just dont want the hassle of having to take it somewhere for whatever it needs.
3.I have never had a car with run flats, but i doubt i could live with them...at leas i see on this forum that switching to "regular" tires is no problem...but do regular tires require different wheels? Note my mech ignorance!
4.My Miata is a retractable hardtop conv like the SC430....is the SC ret hardtop reliable?

My main decision is whether to stick to a 2002 or 03 to keep my price down which is what i would prefer. Snazzy technology and /or better mechanical performance is pretty much lost on me...i dont need or even appreciate the latest "gizmos"...really never have so that isnt a reason for me to go to 2006 or newer. I just want a beautiful SC430 in decent shape which i can get in and out of better than my Miata and which wont cost me an arm and a leg in upkeep.

So this is my story. I would value any input you folks can provide about what you would do if you were me. Thanks so much.
Old 08-18-18, 08:00 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

First of all, I believe that you'll really enjoy the SC430. It is definitely easier to enter and exit the SC430 than the Miata. The "tech" in the SC430 isn't extreme by any means but it does have some, as I'm sure that you've read about. The main thing lacking in the tech arena (especially for the 2002 - 2005) falls in the radio and NAV. Those can be replaced/upgraded if so desired, but they really aren't that bad. You can also include add-ons to bring in Bluetooth and backup cameras if so desired and keep the radio intact.

So far, the 2002s are staying fairly solid with regards to extracurricular repairs needed. However, having said that, you can expect a few items to crop up just because it is a 15 or 16 year old car. Items like radiators, alternators and hoses are possible contenders for potential failures but are still reasonably possible. (They aren't rare but not really common either.) The top failures are still pretty rare.

Regular tires do not require any changes to the car or wheels. Just change out the rubber part (the tires) and you're good. You might want to consider adding a spare in the trunk or just have flat fixing equipment along with a small electric air pump. (Or have a good AAA type arrangement.) In reality, flat tires have become fairly rare in the last 15 years, so you can choose what route you take. You'll appreciate the smoother drive/ride.

The hard top on the SC430 is very reliable but problems have cropped up in the member community. However, they are still fairly rare.

The engine is one of the more reliable engines around. (It is my understanding that they are fairly prized to be shipped overseas as replacements for rebuilds.)

Good luck in your search and keep us apprised.
Old 08-19-18, 09:41 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

My 2 cents...

If you buy a 2002/03 that has service records and has clearly been well-looked after, yuo can't go wrong. Remember that Lexus has always been #1 for reliability, and last time I looked, the SC was the #1 Lexus. As far as tech goes, it was pretty much state of the art in 2002. As Harold says, the radio and nav system are really the only areas that may seem dated, but they bother me not at all.

Like you, I owned a Miata for a number of years. I loved it, but I'm at the point in my life where I want some comfort to go with my fun, so this car was the obvious answer. I found a relatively low-mileage (74K) one-owner car in exactly the colour combination I was looking for, but it took me 6 months to find it. Depending on how particular you are with colours and/or number of owners, it shouldn't take that long.

PPI and service records are worth it, especially when looking at a 15-year old car. That will give you the peace of mind you're looking for. For what it's worth, I flew to Florida and bought it sight unseen, and drove it home to Canada, and have encountered no issues whatsoever.
The following users liked this post:
BEARCATJER (02-04-19)
Old 08-19-18, 01:54 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

BEARCATJER, our scenario was not so different from yours. My wife and I retired and wanted to take road trips. We wanted a convertible - again. We had once owned a Cadillac Allante. Loved the car but hated the hokey top. We had a hard top with the Allante and loved what it did for the road trip experience versus a canvas top (we had previously owned a Camaro convertible). So, when we went looking for a car we quickly focused on the hardtop convertible models. We test drove a Pontiac G6, BMW 335i, Volvo C70 and the SC430. I spent many hours reading reviews on each of those cars. I was less interested in what professional reviewers had to say over owners who had owned the car a while. My main focus was on reliability. We narrowed our search down to the Volvo and the Lexus. In my research, the top mechanism of the Lexus seemed best engineered. I've worked in manufacturing all my life and looked at each car with a very critical eye. Once focuses on the Lexus, I read hundreds of posts on this forum and hundreds from other forums. I became convinced I wanted a 2006 to 2010 model - mostly for three reasons: (1) the 6-speed transmission, (2) bluetooth capability and (3) updated styling. We test drove several SC430's including 2002 to 2005. I have to say the driving experience was so similar in each model year that the transmission issue seemed nebulous; however, knowing that we would put thousands of miles on the car, that extra gear and extra mileage was not insignificant to me. I then concentrated my research to where in the country the SC430s were cheapest. I live in the Seattle area and they are priced higher here than in some parts. We were willing to fly most anywhere and use that excuse for a road trip. However, someone local posted a Matador Red Mica 2006 with Saddle interior that just seemed to leap off the pages to me. My wife loved the color combo. We were hooked ... BUT, the couple wanted a lot of money that was above our predetermined budget. We told them our budget and had to walk away. So sad....

Couple days later the guy called and said he take our offer. He had gone to the local Lexus dealer wanting to know what they give him for it. I forget now, but I think it was $500 or $1,000 MORE than our offer. He decided to sell it to us knowing that it was going to a home that would love it as much as he did. We were overwhelmed and thankful to get such a beauty.

I had to do the timing belt, but I welcomed that opportunity to do a little more and really know the car. In addition to the timing belt, tensioner, bearings and water pump, we also replaced the radiator, hoses, spark plugs & wires and a few other things. Careful inspection showed the car to be in remarkable condition. We've gone on two extended road trips (with the top down about 80% of the time) and have another planned in two months. The car has been rock solid and loads of fun. The bluetooth is nice on the road (we both have our phones connected to it). We're an Apple family (my son is an Apple Genius) and thought about upgrading to CarPlay but haven't yet and don't see a big reason to do it yet. I would like a backup camera, tho.

By the way, I also have own a 2004 Toyota Tundra for many, many years. It's probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever own and I've used it as a truck (tons of gravel, dirt, lumber and furniture). My SIL drives a Forerunner and friends have Camry's, LX's and other Toyota/Lexus models. None have given any problems. Toyota has a sparkling quality reputation. That also helped convince us of the SC - the engineering is typical, solid Japanese engineering; the manufacturing and assembly are also at very high quality levels. PLUS! OEM parts and aftermarket parts are usually available everywhere at reasonable prices, unlike BMW, Volvo and Mercedes.

I autocrossed Miatas a lot so I'm very familiar with them. They are truly a driver's car. Fun, responsive, reliable and cheap. The SC430 is a Miata on steroids :-) Get it and let us know about your experience.

Rich
Maple Valley, WA
BEARCATJER (02-04-19)
Old 08-20-18, 06:24 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Wow! What timely, informative and thorough reviews which i appreciate very much! I have been looking within a 500 mile radius of Atlanta where i live..there are lots of nice or better SC430s out there and my plan,which i have followed on other cars i have bought , is to rent a car,drive to wherever the SC430 is and drive it back home. I carefully read every Carfax on any SC430 I am considering...some have extensive service records(usually for maint/repairs by a Lexus dealer) and some have very little which i suspect is from using non Lexus dealer for the work like i always have. The 90000 mile service has always been critical in my experience for sure. Im not interested in a Northern US car due to the weather element and there are plenty of SCs in the South so that isnt a problem. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2003 with 121K miles ..going to get Lexustechs of Atlanta to do a pre purchase inspection for $150 (a bargain IMHO)....but the seller lowballed me on my Miata so badly i passed. I would/could sell my Miata privately easily,but then ..in Georgia...you pay sales tax on the entire amount of the purchase of the SC...so i decided i would just keep driving my Miata and forget the SC. Now, thanks to you, Im thinking i will sell my Miata privately and keep looking till i find the SC I am looking for and then just buy it. Im not that particular...black or silver exterior and black interior...not an ecru fan...not hard to find if you are persistent.
Most importantly, i think i will up my game and limit my search to the 2006 and newer model due to the various improvements which have been outlined in this forum....unless i find an older one which is just too good to pass up!
So again...thanks so much for taking the time to give me your perspective...
Old 08-20-18, 11:17 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Best of luck. Let us know when (not if) it happens.
Old 01-28-19, 06:46 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

is the sc430 market dying out? or it seems forum members are dying out. Anyone recently pick up theirs? Price? year? mileage?
Old 02-04-19, 05:21 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Well, it is now February ,2019 and I'm still looking for my SC430! Honestly it is such a tiring experience to find one you like, check it out thoroughly to make sure it isnt a problem car and then negotiate anything close to a reasonable price...not sure it is that important to me anymore. That said i find myself scouring the various sources for the car DAILY...LOL! I didnt mention this in my previous posts, but a big problem for me is that i only have a 2 car garage now and it is filled up by my wife's RX350, our golf cart and my fishing kayak! So my Miata sits in the driveway and if i replace it with the SC430 i want ,the SC will as well. Anyway i am continuing to look for a 2006, maybe 2007 and also considering an older model if i find a real sweetheart. We all know there are great condition SC430s out there. I have found a couple of nice Pebble Beach cars...one black and red and the other the brown and saddle. My alma mater's colors are ....BLACK AND RED! Hell, if i keep this search up for too long i will be too old to drive! Gotta get cranking! At least i can sell my Miata first and then use that as the motivator to get off my butt and get the SC430 into the driveway! Stay tuned.
Old 02-04-19, 11:59 AM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Northern cars

often have a lot lower mileage just because of the bad weather. These are the kind of cars that some people buy to sit in their garage and just take out in nice weather. Also, I really like the "saddle" interior and I think you should buy the brown pebble beach car.

Just know that you will enjoy the car greatly, but it definitely will not be a sports car like the Miata.
BEARCATJER (01-22-22)
Old 02-04-19, 12:19 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just saw this one on autotrader, someone should snap it up

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Old 03-10-19, 10:01 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardMor
BEARCATJER, our scenario was not so different from yours. My wife and I retired and wanted to take road trips. We wanted a convertible - again. We had once owned a Cadillac Allante. Loved the car but hated the hokey top. We had a hard top with the Allante and loved what it did for the road trip experience versus a canvas top (we had previously owned a Camaro convertible). So, when we went looking for a car we quickly focused on the hardtop convertible models. We test drove a Pontiac G6, BMW 335i, Volvo C70 and the SC430. I spent many hours reading reviews on each of those cars. I was less interested in what professional reviewers had to say over owners who had owned the car a while. My main focus was on reliability. We narrowed our search down to the Volvo and the Lexus. In my research, the top mechanism of the Lexus seemed best engineered. I've worked in manufacturing all my life and looked at each car with a very critical eye. Once focuses on the Lexus, I read hundreds of posts on this forum and hundreds from other forums. I became convinced I wanted a 2006 to 2010 model - mostly for three reasons: (1) the 6-speed transmission, (2) bluetooth capability and (3) updated styling. We test drove several SC430's including 2002 to 2005. I have to say the driving experience was so similar in each model year that the transmission issue seemed nebulous; however, knowing that we would put thousands of miles on the car, that extra gear and extra mileage was not insignificant to me. I then concentrated my research to where in the country the SC430s were cheapest. I live in the Seattle area and they are priced higher here than in some parts. We were willing to fly most anywhere and use that excuse for a road trip. However, someone local posted a Matador Red Mica 2006 with Saddle interior that just seemed to leap off the pages to me. My wife loved the color combo. We were hooked ... BUT, the couple wanted a lot of money that was above our predetermined budget. We told them our budget and had to walk away. So sad....

Couple days later the guy called and said he take our offer. He had gone to the local Lexus dealer wanting to know what they give him for it. I forget now, but I think it was $500 or $1,000 MORE than our offer. He decided to sell it to us knowing that it was going to a home that would love it as much as he did. We were overwhelmed and thankful to get such a beauty.

I had to do the timing belt, but I welcomed that opportunity to do a little more and really know the car. In addition to the timing belt, tensioner, bearings and water pump, we also replaced the radiator, hoses, spark plugs & wires and a few other things. Careful inspection showed the car to be in remarkable condition. We've gone on two extended road trips (with the top down about 80% of the time) and have another planned in two months. The car has been rock solid and loads of fun. The bluetooth is nice on the road (we both have our phones connected to it). We're an Apple family (my son is an Apple Genius) and thought about upgrading to CarPlay but haven't yet and don't see a big reason to do it yet. I would like a backup camera, tho.

By the way, I also have own a 2004 Toyota Tundra for many, many years. It's probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever own and I've used it as a truck (tons of gravel, dirt, lumber and furniture). My SIL drives a Forerunner and friends have Camry's, LX's and other Toyota/Lexus models. None have given any problems. Toyota has a sparkling quality reputation. That also helped convince us of the SC - the engineering is typical, solid Japanese engineering; the manufacturing and assembly are also at very high quality levels. PLUS! OEM parts and aftermarket parts are usually available everywhere at reasonable prices, unlike BMW, Volvo and Mercedes.

I autocrossed Miatas a lot so I'm very familiar with them. They are truly a driver's car. Fun, responsive, reliable and cheap. The SC430 is a Miata on steroids :-) Get it and let us know about your experience.

Rich
Maple Valley, WA
Hey, how are you still enjoying your car and did you take those road trips?!
beachbumII (01-05-20)
Old 03-11-19, 12:06 AM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by The Ikon

Hey, how are you still enjoying your car and did you take those road trips?!
Still lovin’ the SC! 😍. We have taken some shorter trips, but the longer ones are still in the planning stages - hoping this summer. Unfortunately, I had to deal with Prostate Cancer and my wife with back surgery. Both of us are better and anxious to get on the road. I just re-read these posts and see BearCater has not yet bought an SC. I hope he gets one soon. I have a lot of seat time in a Miata and know he’d love the SC. Our SC has been trouble free and FUN! Remember there is a “Sport” mode! Don’t forget to use it! I keep the seats well lubed with Durogloss Leather Treatment, the top mechanism well-oiled and the paint waxed twice a year. I have my Kubota for the field, the Tundra for the off-road and the SC for road trips. Life is good. (And a hot-rod Avanti for cruising!)

Rich
Maple Valley, WA
Old 03-11-19, 02:46 AM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2 miatas, 2 SCs

I’ve also owned two Miatas (‘92 & ‘07) and two SC430s (both ‘03). Like you, I ignore professional reviews as they focus on ridiculous track-worthy qualities. I focus on ride comfort and reliability. The Miatas are difficult to drive for long journeys when you’re tall like me. Even the Lexus can have a hard time soaking up NY potholes with those 18s, but the Miata especially so. The only soft riding retractable hardtop is the Mercedes SL. But the Lexus has a nice quiet ride, the best reliability, beautiful interior and nice lines (though not everyone likes the look). I no longer have convertibles now that I have a toddler but my daily driver is a 2005 Lexus LS 430 Ultra where I swiped out the 18 inch wheels for 16s.

I no longer like the looks of any new Lexus vehicles. They are plagued with giant wheels, too firm a ride (even the LSs), too many exterior creases, and those trapezoidal grills are a turn off. My dad has a new Genesis G90, conservative styling and a soft ride- exactly where Lexus used to be. Hope they make a refractive hard top some day!

Quick Reply: Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430