SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Old 12-15-14, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 06:25 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys...still searching for my SC430...2006....Hitting my 79th birthday this week...but just got my driver license renewed for 8 years!!!LOL...are they crazy? Anyway my Miata ...my 5th by the way...isnt getting any roomier and my butt isnt getting any smaller so Im still looking for the SC430. I have two key issues i would appreciate some feedback on.
1.Keeping an SC430 in the driveway seems like a capital offense...in the South the sun isnt kind to any car...i wax my Miata twice a year and it looks as good as it did 3years ago when i bought it. Am i foolish to worry about this in re wear on the car?
2.Much more importantly...as i stated in an earlier and longer post after reviewing 100s of Carfax reports on various year SCs it just seems to me that these SC430s require a LOT of maintenance type repairs....like batteries, brakes and misc other stuff compared to other Lexuses i have owned over past 30 years. I dont understand why...i can virtually count on one hand the stuff i had to have done on my past Lexus cars and i drove several of them 100,000 miles or more before trading. I never buy extended warranties, especially on a Lexus and wouldnt this time either, but as i said in earlier post i wouldnt drive an SC more than 5K miles a year if that, so im wondering if i should abandon my search. My Miata NEVER needs anything but oil changes etc and being retired i dont need a lot of unexpected Lexus repairs. Part of me wonders if the reason for seeing so much done to SCs is because the typical owner has some money...uses Lexus dealers...and just lets Lexus replace brakes, batteries, tires etc etc without questioning it. I never once, other than one recall on an ES350, have had a Lexus dealer do my maint or repairs. My 2015 RX350 has 56K on it now so i plan to get the 60 k service done, but not by Lexus.
Im tired of looking for an SC430....i just want one of those babies before i die!!!LOL...but why do almost all of the ones i see for sale have so many repairs, maint etc done, including low mileage ones. Let me know what you think please. I rely on the real pros in re SC430s on this website more than anything.Thanks so much.
Old 03-11-19, 10:13 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Regarding high maintenance items: Batteries yes, but brakes and misc other stuff, I don't agree. In my 17 year old car with 134k miles on it, I have replaced the battery a few times but other items, not so much. (I may have done brakes once but don't remember.) I've replaced the alternator but I really can't think of very much more other than tires. (This car is not kind to tires unless you eliminate the camber and then it is better.) You do have to remember just how old these cars are though. (The OEM speakers on the older cars are a problem also.)
Old 03-11-19, 12:38 PM
bigrin
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with H-57. Batteries, you have to drive them. Let it sit several weeks, and you may have a problem. Trickle chargers work find. And replacement about every three to four years to keep them fresh. Have an 2002, and it drives like a new car. The vehicle shows its quality. If you drive one, you'll know. Good luck.
Old 03-29-19, 05:37 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Morning, all!

I browsed this thread for a few minutes to get some ideas about purchasing a 2010 SC 430 (or something close, depending on mileage, etc.).
Of course, there is quite a variation in price, depending on features and milage. I'd like to hear from members what should be a fair estimate for one that has less than 70K miles.

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Dan
The following users liked this post:
sgdewald (12-07-22)
Old 03-29-19, 06:35 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

There are several websites that allow nationwide searches for SC430s for you to get an idea. All depends on condition, mileage etc etc
2010 models very rare only about 300 made into the U.S.

this thread covers it well: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...d-you-pay.html just be mindful of the date (top left corner of each post)

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-29-19 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 07:45 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by LSDoc
Good Morning, all!

I browsed this thread for a few minutes to get some ideas about purchasing a 2010 SC 430 (or something close, depending on mileage, etc.).
Of course, there is quite a variation in price, depending on features and milage. I'd like to hear from members what should be a fair estimate for one that has less than 70K miles.

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Dan
Good luck for finding an 2010 SC. I wanted one too but had to settle for an 07.
Old 05-06-19, 05:45 AM
JSelling
Driver School Candidate

Default Buying a 2007 SC 430 with 150k miles at auction

So I have a total budget of about $8-9k and have been looking mostly at Infiniti G37s, but then my mechanic just showed me a beautiful 2007 SC 430 that will be at auction that he wants to get me. It's a 1-owner in flawless aesthetic condition. Only drawback is it was in a minor front-end collision in 2012 at 72k miles and 20mph. Oh, and the car now has 150k miles.

Service records were regular on the Lexus Driver's site up until 2017 and 130k miles, but there have been no records in the last 1.5 years and 20k miles. Recent service history is attached.

So, of course I'm wondering if I should go for this car. My goal is reliable, mostly-hassle free transportation for the next 4 years. I drive 10-12k a year and more than half of that is city driving, unfortunately. Any thoughts? What would be a fair price? KBB puts private party value at 8-10k, but this is an auction, so hopefully I could get the car for 7-8k.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SC430 Service History.pdf (4.56 MB, 135 views)
Old 05-06-19, 07:03 AM
VVTiBob

Some questions: tire tread? Run flats or not, with or without spare tire? FYI: Car comes with run flat tires. Ride is rougher.
service seems excellent up to missing data. Check entire history for timing belt replacement ....should have been done by either measure, miles or age. Typically water pump is done at the same time due to access.
Batteries seem to be an issue for those of us who do not use as a daily driver. Otherwise OK but could be depending on age of battery.
If you have a chance to run the motor do the following: warm engine at idle you should not hear or feel it in gear with foot on brake. If you feel engine vibration motor mounts are questionable or broken.
In neutral with AC on, gun motor to 3k rpms if squeal is heard, new accessory belt is needed
have mechanic check for DTCs
crank up stereo, distortion from speakers indicates bad cones in door subwoofers.
open and close the roof to verify correct operation
look the weather seal top edge of the door glass just above the outside rear view mirror, both sides, is it torn?
READ sticky THIS thread from the beginning it really covers most, if not, all of the faults.
Old 05-06-19, 07:21 AM
JSelling
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! This information was EXTREMELY helpful. I will make sure these things are checked...The water pump and crank seal were replaced, but the timing belt was not. How much would this cost at a Lexus dealership?

Last edited by JSelling; 05-06-19 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 07:54 AM
VVTiBob

OEM Timing belt, tensioners at the dealer, approx $1200...give or take....a lot less at independent shops/mechanics
Old 05-06-19, 11:22 AM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Water pump replaced WITHOUT the timing belt being replaced? I know it’s possible but seems strange. If you can, I’d try to check that, maybe by calling the dealership that did the water pump and asking them to look up the Work Order. Could save you a lot of money.

That being said, the Toyota’s of this vintage have proven to be extremely reliable. Maybe the best of any brand. I also own (since new) a 2004 Tundra with the same basic engine and it’s been the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned and I use it hard. We’ve had our 2006 SC for almost 3 years IIRC and it has been faultless. Like you, we had a budget and looked around for quite a while. We absolutely LOVE the car. High mileage on this car is probably more acceptable than other vehicles.

Whatever you get, treat it right. By that I mean, wax it regularly, apply good quality leather treatment to the seats, clean and treat the rubber seals and be conscious of the car’s feedback. For the money, I can think of no other vehicle being as unique, well-built, great ergonomics and features.

Goid luck!

Rich
Maple Valley, WA
Old 05-06-19, 03:56 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

I’d buy the kits from eBay or Amazon and have your mechanic or independent shop to install it. It will save you $$$$$.
Old 05-08-19, 04:20 AM
CoffeeGirl
Driver School Candidate

I have been wanting sc430 for awhile. I’ve been following different posts on this forum- and what a great forum this is
Pardon me if a similar question has been asked. I have found 2 vehicles that I am interested in. A 2002 sc with about 90k miles- still getting info- I can see some Lexus records in the Lexus service history- nothing major. I think it may be a single owner but waiting to hear back. I will also go see the car in person. The other is a 2005 with about 90k miles- 4 owners. The last owner has had it since 2012. It has dealership records until 2013- the TM and WP have not been replaced. The owner states no accidents and the Carfax reflects this. I have seen and driven the second car- it’s in good shape.I will get an inspection/evaluation on any car I decide to get.
My question: is there any advantage/difference/preference in older car with less miles vs newer car with more miles? Any thoughts you’d like to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-19, 07:10 AM
VVTiBob

That’s a pretty broad question. I’ll start by saying many 2002s were hand built, but as production increased automation took over. Both methods have the good and bad points. I also have no doubt, due to real world experience, minor improvements occurred each model year. This is supported by part designation changes during production cycles.

But the major change came with the 2006 model year and beyond. Cosmetic, electronic, automotive and transmission all received refreshes and or upgrades. This is a typical Toyota/Lexus practice, model refreshing every three to five years depending on market factors.

So there are some differences between the 02 and 05 cars, but they are minor ones for the most part. A thorough inspection by a trusted, I mean really trusted, mechanic as well as an examination of maintenance history is your safest move. Both cars share the same reliable motor so 90k in either one shouldn’t be an issue as long as routine maintenance was performed. But a timing belt change should have occurred in both cars. That job alone could cost in the neighborhood of 1K.

Make sure you read this thread from the beginning. Yes, I know its really long, but it does cover many of the car’s problem area’s such as motor mounts, speakers, 02 sensor etc. Finally, always run the top open and closed a few times. Pay close attentions to sounds and times. It should be very quiet and take a little less than 30 seconds for a complete cycle. That cycle includes running the windows and changing the volume of the stereo. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-08-19, 07:53 AM
CoffeeGirl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I know it's a broad question but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something obvious in this thread. I have printed out this thread and am reviewing it lots. I realize there are issues as with any vehicle. I also realize what a great car this is- I have looked at the newer Lexus convertibles (250c/350c) and they just do not appeal to me personally. I am going to continue to research and gather info to make as good as decision as I can. I am fortunate that I do have a mechanic that I trust and know that he will go through it very well. Thanks again! Have a great week.

Quick Reply: Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430