SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Old 12-15-14, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 09:28 PM
Joycejay
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help Sorting It Out

I’m finally ready to buy an SC 430. I’ve wanted one since about 2003 and almost bought one then. But my now ex-husband refused to let me use his van when it was my turn to drive the volleyball team to games - and I sure couldn’t do it in the SC 430! So I ended up getting a big SUV instead. I actually still drive one of those, as I’m a harpist and I need the space. But I’m ready to indulge in a “fun” car.

i want green, purple or blue (in no particular order). And I prefer the Ecru interior - my coloring doesnt go well with saddle - don’t laugh - I want to look good in my new ride!

I’ve read here that some folks have driven well in the 150K+ range. That seems pretty scary to me. I’m a single woman with no mechanical ability at all. What’s a reasonable maximum mileage that I should consider?

I see some that have had accidents - some rebuilds, some major damage and some minor. Should I stay away from those, or are there some good deals to be had? My gut tells me to avoid them.

I live in a ski area, so the car will be garaged from November thru April. Or in the case of this year, May, as it snowed yesterday! So it will be a fair weather car and probably not for really long trips, either.

And what about the model years? I know the colors that I want limit that to some extent.

I’m just looking for some basic guidelines. I don’t want to start contacting sellers until I’ve established my mileage and pricing parameters and the acceptable conditions.

Are there any other questions I should be asking?

I apologize if I’ve opened up a can of worms with these questions. I’m delving into an area where I have no clue what to do.

Thank you,

Joyce
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (06-27-19)
Old 05-18-19, 10:36 PM
dommo25
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joycejay
I’m finally ready to buy an SC 430. I’ve wanted one since about 2003 and almost bought one then. But my now ex-husband refused to let me use his van when it was my turn to drive the volleyball team to games - and I sure couldn’t do it in the SC 430! So I ended up getting a big SUV instead. I actually still drive one of those, as I’m a harpist and I need the space. But I’m ready to indulge in a “fun” car.

i want green, purple or blue (in no particular order). And I prefer the Ecru interior - my coloring doesnt go well with saddle - don’t laugh - I want to look good in my new ride!

I’ve read here that some folks have driven well in the 150K+ range. That seems pretty scary to me. I’m a single woman with no mechanical ability at all. What’s a reasonable maximum mileage that I should consider?

I see some that have had accidents - some rebuilds, some major damage and some minor. Should I stay away from those, or are there some good deals to be had? My gut tells me to avoid them.

I live in a ski area, so the car will be garaged from November thru April. Or in the case of this year, May, as it snowed yesterday! So it will be a fair weather car and probably not for really long trips, either.

And what about the model years? I know the colors that I want limit that to some extent.

I’m just looking for some basic guidelines. I don’t want to start contacting sellers until I’ve established my mileage and pricing parameters and the acceptable conditions.

Are there any other questions I should be asking?

I apologize if I’ve opened up a can of worms with these questions. I’m delving into an area where I have no clue what to do.

Thank you,

Joyce
Hi Joyce,
I'm replying from Australia but the SC430 is an SC430 is an SC430 (if you know what I mean!). I just had to respond to your message because we're leading parallel lives - in reverse! My wife sent me down to buy a 7-seater so that we could fit grandparents, kid's friends, neighbours, neighbour's pets, etc. when doing the soccer run but somehow I returned home from the dealership with an SC430 and a bag of beans. To this day, I don't know how that happened!

My wife took one look at the car and exclaimed in disgust, "We can't even fit our own kids in that thing". My response? "Hmmm, I see. But darling, can you think of any disadvantages?"

Long story short, it was one of the best decisions of my life. The car is a 2003 model and had done less than 100,000km (sorry, metric here) and was in amazing condition. Just to be sure, I had an independent mechanic cast an eye over it and he gave it the thumbs up. He, and every mechanic who's ever had anything to do with the car since have all said it will easily run for 20 years with regular servicing. The engine is simply superb. Mine is silver (actually, "Sand") with black interior. Whilst I admire anyone with clear eyed ambitions, you may have to temper your expectations in terms of colour and interior in favour of acquiring a vehicle which is simply in the best condition possible. I'm sure you'll look good in this car no matter what the colour . I have kept the original pie plate wheels and the car never fails to turn heads. Just the other day I had a lovely gentleman waiting for me to return to the car so he could ask me about it and I ended up speaking with him for nearly an hour.

This forum is still the best source of information and advice re: what to look out for when considering the SC430. The only real problem I've had involved some water leaking into the trunk (now fixed). Other than that, given that the car is 15 years old, there is the usual wear and tear which I get the dealer to attend to at each 6-monthly service. The air conditioning is making strange noises at the moment and I've traced it to the servo-motors (again, this has been deduced after reading posts on this forum) which are expensive to replace. Like you, I'm not mechanically minded in any way so I'm loathe to attempt any repair myself. I am somewhat OCD when it comes to my SC430 and washing and cleaning it has become a hobby of sorts. I drive it A LOT! Over 50km per day as my current job takes me out of the city. The car simply purrs when on the highway and, if the sun is shining and the roof comes down then ... well, let's just say life is good

Good luck with your quest!

Dominic
Old 05-18-19, 11:09 PM
Joycejay
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dominic,

I had to laugh at your story in reverse of mine. Thank you for the advice about the colors - I’ll take it too heart.

Joyce
Old 05-19-19, 12:02 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Hi Joyce
Welcome to the club. You can't go wrong with the SC. Reliable and luxurious. If you can afford, try to get the 06+ model, they come with many upgrade and refine. Anything under 100K miles is considered good, less is better.
Be patient. There are many SC for sale out there. I was lucky to find mine, an 07, black on black, 58K miles, one owner and show room condition. She still is.
People often asked what year is my car, when I told them it 12 years old, they could not believe it.
Old 05-19-19, 05:33 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

As you start your quest start reading the Sticky threads and learn about your dream car. For example we have a sticky on paint colors. Of course Lexus doesn’t call it green, no, it’s “Midnight Pine” and it’s a very dark green... I mean shade. The sticky also tells you what year(s) the models were available in certain colors. Here is an example from the sticky. Anyway, lots to learn for the smart buyer, while you follow your quest.

CoffeeGirl (05-19-19)
Old 05-19-19, 12:48 PM
Joycejay
Driver School Candidate

What about the Pebble Beach edition? Was it a premium edition? More valuable now?
Old 05-19-19, 01:17 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Pebble Beach editions were limited edition production models. The main difference was that they had colors & color combinations that no other SC430 would have. They also have a small badge indicating that they are a Pebble Beach model and provided the production number and the total number of PB's built for that year.
CoffeeGirl (05-19-19)
Old 05-19-19, 10:16 PM
Joycejay
Driver School Candidate

Is it a good thing? Does it increase value, or does it not matter much?
Old 05-19-19, 11:04 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Here is the rare 2010 SC. Is this true or just a scam to lure you in?
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=240834465

Last edited by GmanSC; 05-19-19 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 06:22 AM
Joycejay
Driver School Candidate

I went to the dealers website. It’s listed on it. Out of my price range.
Old 05-20-19, 07:54 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Joyce - unless you're in a hurry, be patient. I spent 6 months looking for "the" SC - green over saddle was my sweet spot. As far as mileage goes, I'd be less concerned with distance travelled than with how the car was maintained. Again, it took months, but I found a one-owner car with full service history. A car with150K well-documented miles is far less scary than a 60K mile car that has changed hands 5 times and has no history.

Best of luck.
BEARCATJER (07-27-19)
Old 05-20-19, 08:13 AM
Joycejay
Driver School Candidate

Oh boy! Patience is not my long suit����

i found one one that has the exterior and interior colors I want. Low mileage and good price. It has been in a fender bender, no structural or mechanical, I’m told.

What to to do Next?
Old 05-20-19, 08:31 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Oh boy! Patience is not my long suit����

i found one one that has the exterior and interior colors I want. Low mileage and good price. It has been in a fender bender, no structural or mechanical, I’m told.

What to to do Next?
If you find the one you like, I’d say go for it. Get your mechanic out, check the car throughly, test drive then negotiate to your best price. Like you, I don’t have patient either, I got mine in less than a week. Paid a hefty price, a thousand dollars over, but love the car and don’t have any regret.
If I have waited to now, I would get that 2010. They are rare and don’t come often.
Old 05-22-19, 05:29 PM
Joycejay
Driver School Candidate

There is one listed right now on cargurus. I think it’s in Georgia.
Old 06-24-19, 09:06 PM
NBLunker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a new car and concern

After researching convertibles for months I decided on the SC - over MB, BMW and Porsche. Mainly because of reliability and comfort. I think others delivered more from a driver exhilaration perspective but non matched the ease and comfort of the sc. I purchased a 2008 two owner car with 43000 miles, had the local Lexus dealer inspect and they were impressed with its condition. With that being said after driving it four separate times my first day of owning it, it's made a loud clunking noise three different times. Mainly at low speeds after switching from reverse to forward at maybe ten miles per hour. I'm excited about the car but a little apprehensive with this noise. I'm not sure I'm posting on the right thread, but new to this site and not as intuitive as I need... thanks for any feedback.

Quick Reply: Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430