SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is upgrade to Nav 10.1 from 5.1 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 05:40 PM
trygve1049
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is upgrade to Nav 10.1 from 5.1 worth it?

I have 2006 SC430 with Nav 5.1 installed, wondering if anyone has gone to 10.1 and is the upgrade worth it.

Cost here in Nova Scotia is $299 plus 15% tax.

Just wondering if much improvement from 5.1 to 10.1?

Cheers and thanks,

Tryg
Old 12-28-10, 06:13 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL, Tryg.

I'd say this depends on how much you use the nav, if you tend to stay in the same area, or if you travel a lot.

If you're in an area that has had a lot of growth and new roads over the past 5 years, then it would probably be worth it to update the disk. But if you're in a smaller area and not much has changed, then you might not notice a whole lot.

I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and even I didn't notice much difference when I updated my '02 disk with an '09 disk.
Old 12-29-10, 02:52 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an 03 and did the full upgrade from 2.1 to 10. I am very disappointed with the results. I was told the performance issues have to do with the speed of the computer being eight years old, but poi, are hard to access, and the interface is not good I thought for this much $ the update would be more significant The way I use it is to look up an address on my iPhone, and enter it. Any modern Tom Tom or gamin is better for less than 1/2 the price. No improvement in graphics or UI.

I have not updated our 06 for this reason. The updates based on what you get should be sub $100.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 12-29-10 at 02:58 AM.
Old 12-29-10, 06:48 AM
trygve1049
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses. Was hpoing for better but that's life.
I think I will hang on, I'd probably spring for $100, as suggested, but $345 tax in, is strealer like. To coin a phrase from an old MB forum.

Have a large day. -4 celcius here, with a little wind, freezing rain and flurries.
Old 12-29-10, 07:09 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that your answer is probably area-specific and based upon your need & budget. As I recall you can get a listing of the covered areas and updates from the Lexus website. Also I believe you have a gen 4 or gen 5 NAV unit in an '06 SC so you have a much more capable system than what was supplied in an '02-'03 SC for example.

I upgraded my '02 SC from the original Data 2000 ver. 1 disc to 9.1 (last year's) and there were some significant differences for my area. The POI information is certainly newer, but there aren't as many data points as there are with a gen 4+ system. Someone in this discussion group said that the gen 2 system hardware supports dual layer, but the disc is only 4.77GB. Later generation discs are over 8GB (YOURS). I would have to agree with Kaiser that for the early SCs the interface is still about the same and the graphics are more primative by comparison to contemporary GPS devices such as Garmin. But your situation may be much different with the newer car and the later generation NAV.

As far as the cost of your upgrade disc goes, is there a reason you couldn't buy it from Sewell Lexus in TX? I think their price is usually sub-$200 by mail. The upgrade process itself is very straightforward and you can do it. Look at: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-spoilers.html
Old 12-29-10, 07:29 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I went from 5.1 (I think...might have been 6.1) to 10.1 this fall. It made a HUGE difference in my area (Washington DC metro). But, there have been a lot of changes in the last 4 or 5 years around here. Exits ramps have changed, in some places left-hand exits have been replaced with right-hand exits, gas stations have closed - or changed owners (makes a difference when I'm searching for an Exxon to use my Exxon CC), etc.

The nav system doesn't LOOK any different, it's just that the maps and POI data is much more current, more accurate.

Also, there's a TON more detail in "the sticks" - out in WV where my mom lives, and in the middle-o-nowhere central VA, where my in-laws live.

But, I also agree that the price is awfully steep for a "map update".

Some folks update their maps every year. Where I come from, we have a name for those kinds of people - "Rich".
Old 12-29-10, 09:16 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have a question for the NAV. My dealer has yet to mail me the DVD for the NAV, I am assuming I am lacking a DVD and was told the NAV should work and just needed a DVD. I do not know what version they will send me.

Right now when I turn on the NAV it says check unable to read the DVD...

Is there an eject for the DVD disc? How do I truly know there is no DVD disc?

I do not have the DVD manual but have downloaded the pages off the Owner's website but have not gone through them. Reading from multiple posts, the 2002~2003 NAV was not good and improvements came later. This true?
Old 12-29-10, 09:53 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Well there's no way to know if your system will work until you get an original DVD to insert in it. BTW copies seem to always have problems in the DVD readers. They should be sending either version 9.1 or the newest 10.1 (released late Sept, early Oct each year) and the correct generation for your car's nav system.

There is an eject switch/button. In the trunk floor right side (see graphic below)... carefully pop off the GPS identification plate and slide the open switch to the right with the system on.

The original NAV system was built on 1999 technologies and maps. While maps can and are upgraded, the underlying technology is what it is. So you statement is correct later models 06 and newest 2010 have had substantial upgrading.
Attached Thumbnails Is upgrade to Nav 10.1 from 5.1 worth it?-trunk-floor-dvd.png  
Old 12-29-10, 09:58 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

2005-2009 models have the exact same nav systems. 2010 is new and 2002-2004 are the same
Old 12-29-10, 10:15 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Well there's no way to know if your system will work until you get an original DVD to insert in it. BTW copies seem to always have problems in the DVD readers. They should be sending either version 9.1 or the newest 10.1 (released late Sept, early Oct each year) and the correct generation for your car's nav system.

There is an eject switch/button. In the trunk floor right side (see graphic below)... carefully pop off the GPS identification plate and slide the open switch to the right with the system on.

The original NAV system was built on 1999 technologies and maps. While maps can and are upgraded, the underlying technology is what it is. So you statement is correct later models 06 and newest 2010 have had substantial upgrading.
Thanks for the info, I will try to pop it out (eject) tonite if ever there's a DVD there.
Old 12-29-10, 08:35 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

I have 9.1 and love it. My other Lexus uses the older version and this one is heads and shoulders better (IMO)
Old 12-29-10, 10:42 PM
mandyfig

I did pop the DVD and I have a 5.1 version. I will scan and post.

But the NAV says "unable to read the DVD, make sure it is the right DVD."

I cleaned the DVD and re-loaded, same thing.

There's a small taped note that says Toyota Prius? (that's what I can make of it)...
Old 12-30-10, 08:03 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Sound like the wrong disc... go here to find the correct version for your year and model:
http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...igationmaps.do
Old 12-30-10, 09:09 AM
mandyfig

Thanks Bob, you have the fastest answers, like Darryl...JK Derek!

I will check the numbers on my DVD Disc. And hopefully the dealer will send me the 9.1 version according to the table. 2002~2004 will take "GEN 3 PT219-GEN23-09"
Old 12-30-10, 09:15 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, that solves it! Prius disc in a SC.

See if they will send you the most recently updated disc for all your troubles. Tell them you got lost in the wilderness without your nav because it wasn't working right! LOL

Keep us posted what they say.

Man! I'd hate to be a dealer having to put up with us car-junkies all the time

Quick Reply: Is upgrade to Nav 10.1 from 5.1 worth it?