SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Nav issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 06:49 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nav issues

Has anyone had any issues with navigation? might be that I had an old disc or maybe the antenna is going bad? If i calibrate it and drive around it eventually falls behind and since it falls behind it starts thinking that im turning on roads that im not.
Old 01-08-11, 10:12 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

nope i live in tampa, fl...big city. Real disc...lets me put in destinations just fine...also will guide me to a destination even when its off a little...just hard to follow those directions when it always thinks youve passed turns. I know the antenna is up front so i dont believe its an interference issue.
Old 01-09-11, 06:20 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the symptom you are describing (vehicle position mark is very inaccurate) two components referenced in the FSM are the NAV CPU and GPS antenna but before you go there you want to rule out other problems. It sounds like your navigation system may be using only dead reckoning, that is, using just the input from the vehicle speed and turn rate sensors.

Here are some simple things to check: Does the GPS mark show on your NAV screen? This is the small rectangular green indicator with the letters "GPS" below the north arrow in the upper left-hand corner. If you don't see it, check that there is nothing around the windshield, glareshield or instrument panel that would block the GPS antenna. It's located under the glareshield forward of the NAV screen. If you can rule out internal obstructions, then check that you are not in an area of poor GPS reception. Do other GPS receivers work in your specific area?

Do you know how to go to NAV diagnostic screen and to verify satellite reception status?
Old 01-09-11, 07:44 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

robert-is your nav system hacked?

Also, there is a ton of information on how to diagnose your problems with nav...many fixes have been done through recalibrating, getting an updated disc, etc.

****Just to give you fair warning though: many members have reported really screwing up their nav by messing with calibration...be careful!***

I know you said you live in Tampa, but are you in a newer area (like newer than 2001/2002???) I live in Dallas and even with my 2009 disc sometimes I'll go through a newer area that is off the map a little, but not off in calibration like you are reporting.

If it was me, I'd buy an updated disc first, then take to the dealer if this doesn't fix it.
Old 01-09-11, 01:53 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

No its not hacked and its an OEM disc that came with the car in 04, im already upgrading to a gen 4 computer so hopefully that solves the problem. I do not know how to get into the diagnostic screen....can someone tell me how? Also I just drove to land o lakes and back and the GPS under the compass never came up which I know means its getting signal from the sattelites like in my RX300 & IS250....sooooooo im guessing the Antenna is loose or broken? I doubt its the actual computer.
Old 01-09-11, 02:17 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Use search ....it's been posted several times.
Old 01-09-11, 05:55 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

ok in diagnostic mode now what

i hit NAVI - ECU and i seeL

01 - E3 -00-4
01-DD 11-B1-3
01-
d6 -00-3
01 - E0 110-00 -1
01-D7 110-B1- 1

Thats all on the left hand side...nothing on the right.
Old 01-09-11, 06:47 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Ok so it never gives a status when I run a nav diagnostic so im guessing the antenna is jacked up...I opened up the trunk to get to the Nav computer and purshed in the Antenna wire a little bit and no reception...ill take a closer look tomorrow.
Old 01-09-11, 07:12 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by robertrios
ok in diagnostic mode now what

i hit NAVI - ECU and i seeL

01 - E3 -00-4
01-DD 11-B1-3
01-
d6 -00-3
01 - E0 110-00 -1
01-D7 110-B1- 1

Thats all on the left hand side...nothing on the right.
This looks like the output of the LAN status screen. Try selecting MENU, then NAVIGATION CHECK then GPS INFORMATION and look in the STS column(s). If you see "T" or "P" in several of them (assuming Denso system) your antenna is probably working. If nothing or "-", then possibly antenna or antenna circuit issue as you suspect.
Old 01-09-11, 08:08 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

what is the antenna or circuit...it was getting -
Old 01-10-11, 09:23 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

The idea is that if the green GPS flag isn't visible on the screen and you don't get good status from 3 or more satellites, you might be suspicious of the antenna or the antenna wiring. I've attached a photo of my 2002 SC's NAV diagnostic screen showing satellite status when the car is parked in the garage with the door open - pointing to the northwest. You can see only two (of eight possible) satellites detected and a warning to check for blockages. If you saw this when parked in an area of known good GPS reception the antenna or wiring might be faulty. The disclaimer here is that there are lots of other potential failure points and if you rule out the simple stuff you may still want or need professional assistance. Also your SC may have gen 3 electronics and the screen could look different from what I've posted.

From what I can tell from the FSM the antenna wiring consists of a cord that runs from the antenna to a connector and from there an extension cord runs to the NAV ECU in the trunk. The location of that connector isn't clear but may be behind the console or the audio / AC controls. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Nav issues-sat-status.jpg  
Old 01-10-11, 09:45 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys dont mean to thread jack but would anyone have advice or guide me somewhere, my nav seems to be completely misunderstanding every command I say. or is there THAT many commands?
Old 01-10-11, 11:21 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

I have to say things really clearly for my IS250 to figure it out. Its just touchy. I spoke to my service rep today at Lexus they said my antenna would be covered under warranty if it is bad. So im just going to put everything back the way it was and let the good people at lexus take it from there.
Old 01-10-11, 11:42 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by robertrios
I have to say things really clearly for my IS250 to figure it out. Its just touchy. I spoke to my service rep today at Lexus they said my antenna would be covered under warranty if it is bad. So im just going to put everything back the way it was and let the good people at lexus take it from there.
That's awesome. You surely don't want to be digging behind the instrument panel if you don't have to! Please let us know what they find wrong.