SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Did I get a deal? and 6x9 reviews/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 10:49 AM
MarkRN312
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get a deal? and 6x9 reviews/suggestions

Hey I was wondering if I got a good deal...I Bought my sc a couple months ago, 2003 with 36,700 miles for $20,500. TPMS system broke, 6x9 speakers blown, Needed new tires/rims. Other than that, mint condition, came with lexus car cover and 3 spare keys (2 of which are fobs) and all serviced by dealer. I added the tinted tail lights and tint.

Also, I was looking at those boat speakers on eBay for replacing the 6x9...I heard great things about them but tare they really worth the $? Anyone have a good review for these or others?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Did I get a deal? and 6x9 reviews/suggestions-lex.jpg   Did I get a deal? and 6x9 reviews/suggestions-lex-backside.jpg   Did I get a deal? and 6x9 reviews/suggestions-lex-back-2.jpg   Did I get a deal? and 6x9 reviews/suggestions-topd-rearint..-.jpg  
Old 01-11-11, 10:53 AM
MarkRN312
Driver School Candidate

I know most of you don't like dark rims on a dark car but you've got to love these!
Attached Thumbnails Did I get a deal? and 6x9 reviews/suggestions-blue-rims-vert-close.jpg  
Old 01-11-11, 11:00 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like it has a custom paint job and custom paint on the rims...? Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture? If it is a custom job, I think you got a really good deal, paint jobs usually run over $6k.
Old 01-11-11, 11:11 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get the covers for your tailights?
Old 01-11-11, 11:14 AM
MarkRN312
Driver School Candidate

its not custom, but it could be the 3 coats of Klasse wax I just put on and Konig rims just happens to have a rim with that color.
Old 01-11-11, 11:15 AM
MarkRN312
Driver School Candidate

Got them from stickercity.com
Old 01-11-11, 11:25 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess it works good! lol Looks like the color is teal in a couple pics. I like the rims and tinted tails...looks very clean. Many people disable the TPMS anyways, so I don't see that as being much of a loss. I'm not sure if prices are higher or lower in FL compared to MD (where I bought mine). I got my 04 with 78k miles for $18k as a comparison, I probably could've got something cheaper (around mid $17s) but I wanted the specific black on black color combination.
Old 01-11-11, 11:26 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Oh yeah...you can send your 6X9s out to be fixed. That's what I'm doing. Usually the speakers aren't actually blown, but the foam surround on the speaker has gotten old and separated from the speaker.. Check out this site!

http://www.speakerrepair.com/OCSship.html

Josh
Old 01-11-11, 03:01 PM
srqmark
Rookie

I am not sure exactly where you are in Florida, but there is a speaker repair business in the St. Pete area and they repair the Mark Levinson speakers if its only the foam surround that is bad.. https://www.simplyspeakers.com/lexus...er-repair.html
I got this link from somewhere on CL, but don't remember where. I am going to call them when I take another vacation.
Old 01-11-11, 03:08 PM
donsmith
Rookie

Your car looks great. I think you got a good deal if it's mechanically sound. Speaking of sound, I replaced my 6x9s with the DC Gold Reference speakers you mentioned and had my subwoofer repaired, not only new foam, but new cone also. Both sound great and I'm very pleased. Had I realized the repair of speakers is as good or better than original, I probably would have repaired the 6x9s also instead of spending the big bucks on the DC Golds. But I'm not complaining, it sounds good.
Old 01-11-11, 03:18 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the speaker repair places is in Tampa (Speaker Exchange). They furnished the kit that I used to fix my door speakers. All-in it was about $25. If you're a DIY type this is a good solution. A number of folks here have noted that the DC Gold speakers are also very good, however more costly. Your car looks great. I like the saddle leather - it's in my Millennium Silver SC and we get a lot of compliments on it.
Old 01-11-11, 03:53 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

I really love that blue and i was a klasse AIO user for 25 years.

Enjoy
Old 01-11-11, 04:24 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

If you're happy driving the car with the top down and the wind blowing through your hair then I think you got a good deal. And if you're happy driving it with the top up, you got a great deal.

The other stuff, yes it's an annoyance, but it's minor maintenance. I agree with the others, if you're satisfied with the sound from the ML System get the speaker repair. Will sound like new and cost you less than 50 bucks. BTW there is a great thread on here with photos and detailed instructions on how to get the speaker out.
Old 01-12-11, 04:35 AM
MarkRN312
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the advice! Bob, I don't know if I like the ML system b/c I've never heard it while it was not blown. I know I'm a bass junky, in my last truck I had two 10inch subs and for this sc I want a 6x9 that can hit hard and handle loud bass at high volumes. I plan on replacing and/or adding a small sub down the road but for now replacing the 6x9 is in the near future...can the ML 6x9's deliver?
Old 01-12-11, 04:47 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MarkRN312
Thanks everyone for the advice! Bob, I don't know if I like the ML system b/c I've never heard it while it was not blown. I know I'm a bass junky, in my last truck I had two 10inch subs and for this sc I want a 6x9 that can hit hard and handle loud bass at high volumes. I plan on replacing and/or adding a small sub down the road but for now replacing the 6x9 is in the near future...can the ML 6x9's deliver?
As a guitarist, i never understood the preoccupation with excessive amounts of bass. I'm talking the bowel jarring kind some folks have that you can hear 8 car lengths away at a stop light. Makes no sense to me.

Now, normal to rich bass where the bass notes have balance and depth makes for better listening to my aging ears. Just sayin'

Quick Reply: Did I get a deal? and 6x9 reviews/suggestions