SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Audio advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11 | 06:14 AM
nikos1121
Driver School Candidate

Default Audio advice needed

I just joined the forum. God, didn't know you guys existed.

Have owned SCs since 93 always buying black. Have owned a 2007 SC430 for almost two years now. Yes, black. Have about 60K miles.

I still love the car. Along with a 2004 GX430 (black) I'm satisfied. Sure, we'd all love to move up and get the latest, but this combo, SC in Summer and the GX in winter is fine with me.

In fact, with the top down on a warm Summer day, the car is classically beautiful. As good if not better than anything else out there. And many of us here have enjoyed this beauty for years before Mercedes, Volvo, BMW etc came out with their hard top convertables.

So here's my thought. The car is approaching that point where you start thinking of trading up, but I'm thinking WHAT WOULD MAKE ME HAPPIER WITH THE CAR I HAVE?

Answer: If I could upgrade the sound system to house XM Radio, MP3 player, USB port etc. The upgrade would integrate COMPLETELY into the current dash and ideally be identical to what is available in the 2011-12 models.

Discussion: I've read some of the wonderful posts here, mainly from over one year ago, where an enterprising Club Lexus member inserted a GROM USB into the electronics that integrates nicely. It didn't say anything about XM, but this user now can download his audio files up to 999 tunes.

So, I'm thinking hasn't Lexus refined some of these ideas so us "non do it yourselfers" could go to any dealer and upgrade the sound systems of older models so they're as good as the new models?

Seems like I contacted the local Lexus dealer last Summer and they saif for around $1000 I could get the XM and USB, but it sounded like it would be after market and NOT integrated into the current system.

Anyone have any ideas, or must I just live with this?
Old 01-15-11 | 08:47 AM
VVTiBob

Major changes have occurred between your 07 and the SC 10 last year of manufacture. Because LEXUS integrated NAV and Audio in OEM components it's a lot more work than you think. Your existing GEN 4 NAV and audio has been replaced with GEN 6 which is huge leap in the electronic. For example, your current radio has a LCD display, while the newest radio is integrated into Nav System Screen.

While it's not impossible to upgrade, it would be several thousand dollars to have the same fully integrated components. Remember it's more than just the components. Most, if not all of the cabling would need to be changed. To get an idea of all the difference between 06-09 systems and the SC10 I'm attaching two PDF that cover it.

And you're right about the offer from your dealer to upgrade. It would be aftermarket component and there's nothing wrong with them. This topic has been covered quite a bit. CL members will tell you they've made the upgrades and are completely satisfied with after market components. There's also a few well researched sticky threads written by SCDROPTOP in this forum and, of course, an entire special interest forum on NAV, Audio Video etc etc.

So, if you care to read them here are two pdf docs covering the changes to the 2010 Nav and Audio systems.

And, welcome to the forum...don't be a stranger.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2010 Audio_System.pdf (162.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: pdf
2010 Lexus_Navigation_System.pdf (290.6 KB, 498 views)
Old 01-15-11 | 09:21 AM
mandyfig

Bob, how's that GEN 4 NAV doing for you? Is it a doable change over? Granting you can secure a reasonably priced GEN 4 unit. Tha actual change over is easy? Like plug and play (of course with the tear down and all).
Old 01-15-11 | 10:12 AM
scdroptop

I would get a Vais iPod integration system (we have beat this subject to death, do a search) and upgrade your speakers/amp and voila! Upgrade sound system.

I believe you can get a Vais unit installed for under $600 at a Lexus Dealer, I did here in Dallas at Sewell.

Not sure on the combo xm/ipod.

A complete speaker/amp overhaul will be $2500 at least to do it right...RF Audio amp, JL sub, BA tweets, infinity kappa rounds, etc etc. Fairly large undertaking.

If you like your ML sound now, just want to modernize it by adding mp3/ipod/xm sound, I would just start with the Vais unit and see if that satisfies your sweet tooth.
Old 01-15-11 | 10:26 AM
t119
Rookie

This is what I did to my stereo:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...io-system.html

It has everything and more that most people could possibly want (satellite radio, bluetooth, usb, ipod, navigation, back-up camera, dvd player, etc.)
Old 01-15-11 | 10:42 AM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by t119
This is what I did to my stereo:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...io-system.html

It has everything and more that most people could possibly want (satellite radio, bluetooth, usb, ipod, navigation, back-up camera, dvd player, etc.)
+1

One of the BEST overhaul solutions and upgrades i've seen on this forum over the years. Very nice! This is the way to go to do a complete upgrade.

It's rude to ask, so I won't, but I bet t119 spent a fortune on this!
Old 01-16-11 | 02:56 PM
t119
Rookie

Originally Posted by scdroptop
+1

One of the BEST overhaul solutions and upgrades i've seen on this forum over the years. Very nice! This is the way to go to do a complete upgrade.

It's rude to ask, so I won't, but I bet t119 spent a fortune on this!
I wouldn't say I spent a fortune. At the time, I was torn between doing the audio upgrade or getting coilovers and 06+ tails. So you can kind of get a ball park price on how much I spent on the mod.
Old 01-17-11 | 07:15 AM
nikos1121
Driver School Candidate

Default audio upgrade

Thank you for taking the time to respond. In short, you're saying there have been wholesale changes in the Audio and Navigation systems replaced by GEN 6. An upgrade that would fully integrate my car into the GEN 6 would not only be expensive, but there would also be a problem of finding someone to do it.

Going with the Vais upgrade that dealers now offer seems to be a satisfactory
fix, still if you could fully upgrade so the car has the GEN 6, I think it would be worth it up to a certain point.

I'm not a do it yourselfer, so where do you go to get this done if the dealers are not going to touch, or would they if you asked?

nick

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Major changes have occurred between your 07 and the SC 10 last year of manufacture. Because LEXUS integrated NAV and Audio in OEM components it's a lot more work than you think. Your existing GEN 4 NAV and audio has been replaced with GEN 6 which is huge leap in the electronic. For example, your current radio has a LCD display, while the newest radio is integrated into Nav System Screen.

While it's not impossible to upgrade, it would be several thousand dollars to have the same fully integrated components. Remember it's more than just the components. Most, if not all of the cabling would need to be changed. To get an idea of all the difference between 06-09 systems and the SC10 I'm attaching two PDF that cover it.

And you're right about the offer from your dealer to upgrade. It would be aftermarket component and there's nothing wrong with them. This topic has been covered quite a bit. CL members will tell you they've made the upgrades and are completely satisfied with after market components. There's also a few well researched sticky threads written by SCDROPTOP in this forum and, of course, an entire special interest forum on NAV, Audio Video etc etc.

So, if you care to read them here are two pdf docs covering the changes to the 2010 Nav and Audio systems.

And, welcome to the forum...don't be a stranger.
Old 01-17-11 | 08:28 AM
VVTiBob

First, if your dealer is offering the install I'd seriously consider it for, if nothing else, experience and warranty. They are offering a warranty on their install, right? If not, then when you order the unit, I'd ask VAIS for a list of some reputable installers and if the installers warranty their work.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-18-11 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-18-11 | 06:49 AM
scyul
Pole Position

I'm currently working on a complete audio and nav upgrade on my 2004.
So far, head unit replaced with a mecless Kenwood, Amp replaced with Alpine V12, working steering wheel remote (heavily modified), Rockford fosgate 8" sub in original location but with a box in the trunk... Still working in installing aftermarket 7" GPS in original OEM location and integrate it to the audio system. NO A SMALL ANDEAVOR!

Pic will follow soon...
Old 01-18-11 | 08:44 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Keep in mind, the Vais units integrate seamlessly into the factory stereo...and they're "daisy-chainable".

If you want to be able to play your mp3's on your iPod, buy the iPod adapter.

You also want Sat Radio? Buy the sat radio module and plug it in as well. Now you have iPod AND Sat Radio.

Etc.

You can make the factory system do/support quite a bit...without having to make irreperable changes to your car.

This is especially true with an 06+ car.

Those of us with 02-05 cars have much fewer options, and have to get a bit more creative.
Old 01-20-11 | 02:43 AM
scyul
Pole Position

By definition, an upgrade is to make things better... I don't consider replacing the OEM audio system to be an "irreparable changes"... But this endeavor is not for everyone.