SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My first grinding noise! woohoo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 07:09 PM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My first grinding noise! woohoo!

The last couple days I noticed an extremely slight grinding noise coming from the front end while turning left (does not need to be a complete left-turn). I drove some circles in the parking lot and it sounds like it only hits when the wheels are at a certain point on their axis (as if something is touching them at a certain point..was thinking brake-shield perhaps?). Also, I can NOT hear it while doing same in reverse. This is definitely not the brake clanging that many members have complained of. Does anyone have any other ideas? It's a 2007 with 38k miles...no accidents. Thanks.
Old 01-15-11, 07:48 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

How's your tire pressure?

Still under warranty? I'd take it in if so.

Could be a number of things. Someone just had a rubbing noise earlier today on the forum (do an advanced search for rubbing noise in the sc430 forums) and it was tire pressure-that's why I ask.

Here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...low-speed.html

Do you have the original run flat tires? They did.

Last edited by scdroptop; 01-15-11 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-16-11, 12:38 AM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Tire pressure is at factory spec. It is still under warranty but my local dealer is TOTALLY incompetent. If you don't show them precisely what's wrong (and sometimes even when you do), they write "can not duplicate customer's concern at this time." That's their favorite MO.

I read that thread (thank you for posting the link)...but none of those possibilities apply in my case. Also, in my case it's only audible while making a left-turn and only while moving forward. It's difficult to pinpoint the precise location of the noise but I'd say it's closer to the passenger-side.

I gave it the best look I could with a flashlight and I can't see anything rubbing against the wheel or tire.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that the car is totally stock..original wheels/tires/suspension etc.

thanks.
Old 01-16-11, 01:44 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007sc430
Tire pressure is at factory spec. It is still under warranty but my local dealer is TOTALLY incompetent. If you don't show them precisely what's wrong (and sometimes even when you do), they write "can not duplicate customer's concern at this time." That's their favorite MO.

I read that thread (thank you for posting the link)...but none of those possibilities apply in my case. Also, in my case it's only audible while making a left-turn and only while moving forward. It's difficult to pinpoint the precise location of the noise but I'd say it's closer to the passenger-side.

I gave it the best look I could with a flashlight and I can't see anything rubbing against the wheel or tire.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that the car is totally stock..original wheels/tires/suspension etc.

thanks.
The only thing I can recommend from personal experience (especially when dealing with noises) is to request in advance that a technician ride with you to show them specifically what the problem is. If it's a recurring problem, then I ask for a lead technician. Sometimes they are not available or you may wait a little longer (not like just drop off and go with the loaner), but it's well worth it IMO to get it fixed right the first time.

Good luck figuring it out and please keep us posted. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious.