SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Check Engine and VSC and VSC Light are on :((

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 08:11 AM
usfguy9985
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning.
I have been battling with this same issue for a couple years now so I thought I'd share.
Same codes as above.
* Lexus told me it was an o2 sensor, replaced it but the lights came back a couple of days later
* Toyota told me it was a gas cap, replaced, light came back on almost immediately.
* I noticed awhile ago that my vacuum hose with the green schrader valve on it kept slipping off, (right/driver's side of engine), next to oil fill stem. I bought a metal clip for it
and the lights went off for a couple days again.
* Today I was looking to see if another hose came off when BAM, figured it out. The hose with the green valve was actually dryrotted/split on the bottom. I bought a similar hose ($1.79/foot) from AutoZone, deleted the green service valve and problem solved.

I looked online and it seems other people also have encountered the same problem with that particular hose because of the high heat. I just thought I'd share incase anyone else is having this problem.
** Word of advice, I noticed that 3 of my hoses on that right side were dryrotted. You might want to check yours or just replace them for the $3-$5
Old 08-30-16, 09:19 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Good detective work there usfguy. Can you post some pictures? (There are multiple issues that will cause the error condition but knowing that this is one of them will definitely help narrow them down & possibly save some money on needless repairs.)
Old 08-30-16, 04:23 PM
usfguy9985
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Good detective work there usfguy. Can you post some pictures? (There are multiple issues that will cause the error condition but knowing that this is one of them will definitely help narrow them down & possibly save some money on needless repairs.)
I completely agree, just another possibly inexpensive solution. I drove the vehicle again today and lights are still off.

I'll post pictures later tonight or tomorrow. Now onto dying the interior and replacing the notorious amplifier
Old 08-30-16, 06:57 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Great job!
one other note, if those hoses are coming loose and they are not dry rotted, you most likely will need motor mounts...another weak part in our cars.

Originally Posted by usfguy9985
Good morning.
I have been battling with this same issue for a couple years now so I thought I'd share.
Same codes as above.
* Lexus told me it was an o2 sensor, replaced it but the lights came back a couple of days later
* Toyota told me it was a gas cap, replaced, light came back on almost immediately.
* I noticed awhile ago that my vacuum hose with the green schrader valve on it kept slipping off, (right/driver's side of engine), next to oil fill stem. I bought a metal clip for it
and the lights went off for a couple days again.
* Today I was looking to see if another hose came off when BAM, figured it out. The hose with the green valve was actually dryrotted/split on the bottom. I bought a similar hose ($1.79/foot) from AutoZone, deleted the green service valve and problem solved.

I looked online and it seems other people also have encountered the same problem with that particular hose because of the high heat. I just thought I'd share incase anyone else is having this problem.
** Word of advice, I noticed that 3 of my hoses on that right side were dryrotted. You might want to check yours or just replace them for the $3-$5
Old 08-31-16, 05:28 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be a good item for "Sticky".. Seems like this issue is repetitive and certainly I have had it for last two years with all the warning lights on. The fix, on this occasion, was simply new hoses even though the code thrown reads "O2 sensor". New hoses certainly more financially acceptable rather than one, or perhaps two, new oxygen sensors.