SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Security-Anti Theft Devices

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-11, 11:38 PM
QwkSlvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security-Anti Theft Devices

I am thinking about getting some kind of anti theft device. Upper end is a Lojack System or a basic mechanical "Club". Are the anti theft units that are built into the SC430 satisfactory or would you suggest additional protection. It is pretty bad when I start thinking of driving my truck because I am afraid of leaving the SC 430 in a parking lot. Any advice?
Old 02-06-11, 03:07 AM
rcroller
Rookie

Originally Posted by QwkSlvr
... Are the anti theft units that are built into the SC430 satisfactory or would you suggest additional protection....Any advice?
Guess it depends upon the areas you are venturing into but assuming that they aren't high crime areas I think Lexus did a pretty good job with the stock system. The VIN is on major body panels and the alarm seems to work well in normal situations where you would expect it to. If you are just paranoid that someone is out to steal your baby a club can be mighty effective albeit a bit cumbersome. I had lowjack on my last car (enjoyed a small insurance break because of it) but in the final analysis IMO it was expensive overkill...I'm sticking with stock on the SC.
Old 02-06-11, 10:07 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

From your original post it seems you're worried about your car being moved/stolen, rather than things/parts being removed. Remember your car comes standard with the Toyota/Lexus immobilizer system. The engine immobilizer system works with a tiny transponder embedded in the key and it sends a personal identification code to the engine control computer. Unless the system reads the proper code, the computer will not enable the ignition and fuel injection, thus immobilizing the vehicle. So if a thief gets in, uses a ram-hammer to remove/pop your ignition cylinder, and tries to use a screw driver to start it. It won't start. Unless they're carrying a complete bypass system and have time to install it.

In my mind it's more likely someone will steel my chrome wheels before they get the whole car and that's why I pay for insurance.

So the question is do you have all four of the keys, 2 masters, 1 valet and 1 wallet key, also a master?
Old 02-06-11, 06:11 PM
QwkSlvr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice. I guess I am just getting paranoid. I read in the paper that I live in one of the worst areas of the nation for car theft, so yes it is the whole car not just parts that I worry about. Even though we live in a nice area we still go to movies and travel. I think I will just stay with the on board devices. Lowjack seemed a little expensive (until you need it) and I saw that the there are areas that are not covered, so maybe just the club to keep the kids from thinking it is an easy mark.

Hey VVTiBob--Those are some great mods you did. Our SC is millenium silver with black so I can see exactly how they would look on ours. A question--do you remove the bra during the winter? I heard that rain can get underneath and sit there and that would not be good for the paint. Also, where can I find the type of leather mods you did? Are they custom or is there a site I can go to? How do you like the difference between RFT and the ones you have on now. Our tech at Lexus told me that there was not much difference in the ride, however everyone on this site says there is a world of difference. I was thinking of going with the spare tire mod. Maybe I will go that route anyway.
Thanks all of you for the help.
Old 02-06-11, 06:21 PM
darnot10
Driver

Not speaking for Mr. Bob I can tell you that I just replaced the RFT on my wife's SC and I can tell you there is a world of difference in the ride!
Old 02-06-11, 09:40 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Well my car is garaged most of the time. Winters in San Diego are mild, was 72 today where I live. So this has not been an issue. My front end bra is a lexus product and is sold my most dealers. Mirror covers were special ordered on one of the big autosupply sites.
Yes there is a night and day difference on RFT and regular times. The whole spare tire kit is way overpriced, but looks nice so I went for it. Others are going with the tire seal / portable compressor route....there was a recent thread about it.
Old 02-09-11, 05:49 PM
QwkSlvr
Driver School Candidate

VVTiBoB--thanks for the information. Your SC looks great.
Mick