SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

HELP!! Goodyear Gatorback Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 05:57 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

When you put in your belt, the arrow or marker should fall in between A and B. Again check out the pdf I posted. That means you have installed thye right belt and the right sequence. Good luck.
Old 06-07-11, 12:13 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mandyfig. I apologize for being a pain... but the pdf isn't helping me. Just want to make sure, since the car seems to run fine... The blue must fit into the red??

Old 06-07-11, 12:23 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

This is why I ALWAYS go OEM. To me it looks like your belt is too tight/small. I would return that if you can and order a new one from Sewell.
Old 06-07-11, 12:42 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Oh no! Thanks for letting me know. That was my big concern. I took that photo before I let the car run. I am going to go check and see if there is any difference.
Old 06-07-11, 01:52 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Why am I the only one that can't see what the pdf is showing?? damn.
Old 06-07-11, 03:04 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

OK! Let it run for a ride around the block, new photo. Thoughts?? Thanks a lot everyone.

Old 06-07-11, 06:01 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm the virgin belt just needs a stretch.
Old 06-07-11, 08:08 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

So you think its OK?
Old 06-07-11, 09:06 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. Just check on it once in a while.
Old 06-08-11, 06:21 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Looks perfect...may have just no been seated properly or a little stretch as mentioned above...you're good to go...next time just go OEM.
Old 06-08-11, 10:53 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jzwu
Yes. Just check on it once in a while.
Thanks. Not even sure what I would be checking for!
Old 06-08-11, 10:54 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Looks perfect...may have just no been seated properly or a little stretch as mentioned above...you're good to go...next time just go OEM.
Nice! Thank you!

heh heh.. I got this one cause all the guys on the forum were raving about it. Same price as OEM. I just figured copying you guys was best. haha!
Old 06-08-11, 12:33 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

I'm sure this belt is fine! You'll have three kinds of people who are DIY people.

1. Those who figure OEM is what it was designed for and that's what I'll stick with, (me)!

2. Those who figure I can spend the same or more money and get something that should work just as good if not better, (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't)!

3. Those who figure why spend all that money for OEM or that other top rated brand when I can save a few bucks and go with this POS, (these are the same people that want to save the $3.00 to $4.00 a tank to not put premium gas in the car when it's required for a reason)!

DISCLAIMER: There is no one right way to do anything...just opinions on what you "should" do...lol!
Old 06-08-11, 01:02 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad it worked out...I know how it can feel to be in the middle of a project (or done) like you were and not sure of yourself. Don't want to screw anything up and make it worse!

Regarding the Gatorback and why many of us chose it over OEM is the lack of long term durability of the OEM's. I believe the original long post by PearlPower states many owners having to replace these belts with 20-30k miles on their car and of course DIY was MUCH cheaper than going OEM installed at dealer.

I believe I remember several stating much longer life out of the Gatorbacks. I'm generally a OEM guy as well, but buying the gatorback just made sense.

Honestly I didn't even look at the A and B, because I remember reading about the automatic belt tensioner and figured if I had it on wrong, she would chirp and tell me!

You can see the GB's belt pattern and how it's tread channels would create not only less noise but also longer life based on the pattern. I always look/compare tire tread with major mfg's this way also and have rarely been disappointed. Just my two cents.

Here's GY's claims on why the GB is a superior belt:

■Quiet Channel Technology: Advanced materials virtually eliminate the usual noise caused by misalignment.
■Greater Wear Resistance: High strength materials maintain tension integrity during belt service life.
■Exceptional Belt Life: Advanced materials create a more flexible and cooler running belt, greatly extending the serpentine belt life.
Old 06-08-11, 05:11 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Awesome post SCDropTop! Thanks. I feel comfortable about my choice now. And you are spot on... I did it myself, and felt like I was lost questioning myself along the whole way. My SC has about 20k on it and it was sounding like a birdhouse with all the chirping. Its whisper quiet now!!! Greatest $3x I ever spent!

Toothy side down, but there is no top or bottom to the belt right? As long as I made sure the toothy side was on the right tensioners?

Quick Reply: HELP!! Goodyear Gatorback Serpentine Belt