SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Fluids???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 12:06 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Fluids???

Okay, I have a 02 SC430 with 56,000 miles on her. This spring I will perform a DIY timing belt, water pump, and pulley change. This will of course create the need and want to replace the engine coolant. I will also drain and refill the diff oil. I was going to drain the tranny, PW Steering, and PW Brake fluid myself and then I thought...I wonder how much the dealer would charge.

I called the dealer and they said that the tranny should be flushed… and that 60,000 miles is the time to have it done, so now would be just fine and they charge $170.00 to do it, which includes the associated filters. I figured that's probably worth it.

I asked about the PW Steering and PW Brake fluids and they said it's just not worth replacing unless the fluid is of bad color or you have something wrong with the brake or steering system. He said with 56,000 miles on it I should be good to go and that age of the fluid wouldn't matter as that doesn't break down like engine oil.

So my question is: Do you think the dealer is full of crap?

My first thought was no based on the fact that a dealer will do whatever they can to make as much money as they can on service, so telling me I don't need to do it tells me he may be right???

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-11, 01:07 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PLAYTYM,
We have an '02 with 37K miles on it. I bought it for my wife in '07 with 15K miles on it. I replaced the brake fluid myself with the help of my son (pumping the brakes) and it took about 45 minutes. My thought was that the car sat most of the time (only 2500 miles per year) before I bought it and the fluid may have become somewhat acidic. Maybe I'm wrong but for <$10 I have new brake fluid.

I also used a battery syringe ($5) from an auto parts store to suction out power steering fluid and have replaced most of it with new fluid. Once again a <$10 investment. Don't know if it needed it but fluids sitting for long periods of time in a car that doesn't get a lot of miles always throws up flags to me.

I drain about 3 quarts of tranny fluid from the plug on the tranny pan when I change the engine oil and use Amsoil Synthetic ATF fluid to replace it. Once again peace of mind and after 3 oil changes I have changed out most of the fluid without going to the stealership!

I run Amsoil 0W-30 synthetic motor oil and use Amsoil filters. I only change the oil once a year (6-7K miles) so it makes it real convenient to change the tranny fluid at the same time. Amsoil say I can run the motor oil to 15K miles but once a year works for me.

All of this is cheap, cheap insurance!

I had the timing belt, water pump, coolant etc done at 36K miles for $700 here in Charlotte. I didn't have the time to do it myself but would have if I did. Hope your experience is great!
Old 02-19-11, 10:10 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Well put tfeni!!! Totally agree...cheap insurance. Sounds like Playtym is a handy, resourceful kind of guy so I would say go for it while you are doing all that! PS, Brake, Coolant, Rear Diff, transmission (make sure you do Type IV), air, a/c cabin and timing belt/water pump you should be good-to-go!!!

You might want to think about fuel filter down the road...maybe cleaning the intake of carbon buildup and while you are there add the injen intake!

Sounds like a great time...make sure you take pics for us!!!