SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Next mod, keyless!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 09:41 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that a solution to this steering lock problem is found...I might seriously consider doing this install if all angles are sorted out.
Old 03-17-11, 08:43 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

There are two mechanisms associated here.

1. Shift Lock
When the brake pedal is depressed with the ignition switch set at ON, the shift lock control ECU is activated, allowing the driver to change the shift level to a position other than Park.

2. Key Interlock
When the ignition switch is turned to ACC or ON positions and the shift lever is in a position other than Park, the shift lock control ECU is activated to flow current into the key interlock solenoid.

Of course the reverse is true when the key is turned to the off position.

Personally I'm fine with turning a key, especially after getting the luxlink remote start installed.
Attached Files

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-17-11 at 08:53 AM. Reason: add electrical schmatic
Old 03-17-11, 10:03 AM
xl8rguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
There are two mechanisms associated here.

1. Shift Lock
When the brake pedal is depressed with the ignition switch set at ON, the shift lock control ECU is activated, allowing the driver to change the shift level to a position other than Park.

2. Key Interlock
When the ignition switch is turned to ACC or ON positions and the shift lever is in a position other than Park, the shift lock control ECU is activated to flow current into the key interlock solenoid.

Of course the reverse is true when the key is turned to the off position.

Personally I'm fine with turning a key, especially after getting the luxlink remote start installed.
The question is regarding the steering wheel lock. We're trying to figure out how the locking mechanism works in the event you want to replace the standard key with a pushbutton start.
Old 03-17-11, 11:13 AM
VVTiBob

Well I thought I did. Steering wheel locking is both electrical and mechanical. The Key Interlock solenoid and engine immobilser ECUs check for various states to exist. Once they are determined by the ECUs other physical actions may or may not be allowed.

For example, inserting the key affect the transmission shift/lock solenoid, alarm and engine immobilizer system. Inserting the key also affects how and when doors lock are activated (which can be altered by CBEST settings).

Maybe these two diagrams will help.

In the first one inserting and turning the key to ACC or ON, along with pressing on the brake pedal and starting the car alters the shift lock solenoid and allows you to move from P to another transmission state. It also retracts the mechanical locking mechanism (shown in dotted lines) so the steering wheel moves freely.

There also are several different "states" or "conditions" the ECUs are looking for that affect multiple car systems. As far as I can tell they all are interfaced to the ignition key and whether it is present or not. Finally it checks for position within the lock; LOCK, ON or ACC.

I believe SCYUL put it correctly when he said, "Believe me, everything is workable if you want it hard enough!"

Of course that leads to one question which you must evaluate on a personal level; How much time/brain damage are you willing to spend/suffer?
Attached Thumbnails Next mod, keyless!?!?-interlock.png   Next mod, keyless!?!?-system-interlock.png  
Old 03-17-11, 03:41 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! Great info VVTiBob!! This looks like a project for next winter, when the car will be stored for the "ugly" season...

This means that the transponder chip will have to stay in the car...

The other thing that we must look into is the unlocking of the doors and trunk. I know cars with keyless have a buttons on the door handle to unlock... Also true for the trunk. If you realy want to go keyless, we'll need another way to unlock the doors and trunk?!?

Last edited by scyul; 03-17-11 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 06:23 PM
VVTiBob

True. The newest lexi have a fob with some sort of active proximity. I was startled the other day when I had the 2011 loaner. I was walking up to the car getting ready to push the unlock button and the car did it for me. It was cool. But I'm not brave enough to use my car as a beta project.
Old 03-18-11, 06:24 AM
xl8rguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
True. The newest lexi have a fob with some sort of active proximity. I was startled the other day when I had the 2011 loaner. I was walking up to the car getting ready to push the unlock button and the car did it for me. It was cool. But I'm not brave enough to use my car as a beta project.
Actually, the after market product works exactly that way. It's based on proximity so when you walk up, it unlocks. No button to press. The installation ties the door locks, alarm, ignition, etc. into their system. From everything I've read and discussed with the manufacturer, the only purpose for the key is to keep the steering wheel unlocked. Everything else is managed by the new system.
Old 03-18-11, 06:49 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xl8rguy
Actually, the after market product works exactly that way. It's based on proximity so when you walk up, it unlocks. No button to press. The installation ties the door locks, alarm, ignition, etc. into their system. From everything I've read and discussed with the manufacturer, the only purpose for the key is to keep the steering wheel unlocked. Everything else is managed by the new system.

Still, it would be nice to be able to open the trunk somehow...
Old 03-18-11, 06:51 AM
xl8rguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by scyul
Still, it would be nice to be able to open the trunk somehow...
That is a great point! I didn't even thinks about the trunk. Aargh!!!
Old 03-18-11, 09:12 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Smart key or Luxlink?

My wife's Infiniti has the smart key and we both love it. If you are within 5 feet of the door/trunk, you merely push the push button without ever taking your key out of your pocket/purse. The 2010/11 RX that I was loaned unlocks automatcally when the key is within 5 feet-cool feature.

That said, I have Luxlink and am usually using the remote to start the car and lowering the top and windows. Or raising them by pushing the dash button twice, and walking away from the SC as it does its thing. I love the convenience of the smart key-I just love Luxlink more.
John
Old 03-19-11, 05:31 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scyul
Wow! Great info VVTiBob!! This looks like a project for next winter, when the car will be stored for the "ugly" season...

This means that the transponder chip will have to stay in the car...

The other thing that we must look into is the unlocking of the doors and trunk. I know cars with keyless have a buttons on the door handle to unlock... Also true for the trunk. If you realy want to go keyless, we'll need another way to unlock the doors and trunk?!?
quoted from advanced keys website: "ETA on the key style fob is fall of this year and they are upgradable (however it's not a promise)"