Next mod, keyless!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 10:50 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Next mod, keyless!?!?

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK103B.html

Not too expensive and perfect OEM look... Very interresting!
Old 02-28-11, 12:55 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something like this has been brought up before and with that the talk about the mechanical steering column lock and how to get past that without permanently damaging the steering column and at the same time lowering your security.
Old 02-28-11, 06:58 PM
scyul
Pole Position

I need to have a look at the steering wheel lock mechanism to see how it works. Maybe a solenoid could simulate the key insertion?

I have replaced many ignition cylinders on car with the ignition key directly on the steering column, and yes, turning the barrel unlocks the steering wheel... But I never replaced one like the one on the SC, with the ignition key on the dashboard... I wonder how it works...
Old 03-01-11, 06:10 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scyul
I need to have a look at the steering wheel lock mechanism to see how it works. Maybe a solenoid could simulate the key insertion?

I have replaced many ignition cylinders on car with the ignition key directly on the steering column, and yes, turning the barrel unlocks the steering wheel... But I never replaced one like the one on the SC, with the ignition key on the dashboard... I wonder how it works...
You'll want to make a repost of this if you figure out a way to make it work as I'm sure a lot of people on here would follow suit including me!
Old 03-03-11, 02:36 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scyul
http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK103B.html

Not too expensive and perfect OEM look... Very interresting!

Thanks for the post!
Old 03-03-11, 07:18 PM
xl8rguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want that! But I don't want to attempt to install it. Do you know if this company offers any installation. And does the push button take the place of where the key currently goes?
Old 03-04-11, 04:19 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Let us know if someone attempts this, it seems like its made for lexus toyota so I would think they would have taken into account the wheel lock? This would be a great mod though, and for $279 its about the price of replacing the lexus keys from the dealer. lol
Old 03-04-11, 05:01 AM
xl8rguy
Rookie

Guys, I emailed Advanced Keys to see about the wheel lock solution and see page 8 of the attached for their solution. (http://www.advancedkeys.com/docs/Ins...on%20PSB03.pdf).

This is all great if your key is mounted on the steering column but I would like to use where the key is NOW for the pushbutton thereby eliminating the keyslot altogether. Therefore, this solution will not work. As with most of you, you probably don't want to make another hole on your dash to accomodate the pushbutton.

I pinged them again with a follow-up question...
Old 03-07-11, 05:07 PM
xl8rguy
Rookie

So I went over to CarToys today to get an estimate on what it would cost to have this installed. The installer said it would run about $600. So the parts cost $270 and installation is $600?? Wow!!

I really like the pushbutton start and keyless entry but someone has got to know how to install this for less money!
Old 03-08-11, 11:12 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

At least in the District of Columbia, this setup might be illegal, since it requires leaving the key in the ignition.

D.C. law requires a vehicle owner to remove the key from the ignition when parking.

The law also provides that if the owner of a vehicle does not remove the key, then the owner may be liable for any injury caused in the operation of his car by a thief, notwithstanding the intervening criminal act of the thief.

Pretty much a long shot, but if your car gets stolen, you might be on the hook for damages caused by the thief (at least in DC).
Old 03-09-11, 09:10 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Leaving the key in is definately not an option!
If we want to do it properly, we need an electric device that will pull the steering lock when activated. Something like a door lock linear actuator that stays in extend or retract position until a reverse command (or trigger). That way, in case a power loss, the steering wheel will not lock on you while driving!

Last edited by scyul; 03-09-11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 09:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You guys have a hard on this push button deal. Great upgrade if workable.
Old 03-09-11, 09:47 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
You guys have a hard on this push button deal. Great upgrade if workable.
Believe me, everything is workable if you want it hard enough!

Anybody have a spare steering column laying around for R & D?
Old 03-09-11, 12:35 PM
xl8rguy
Rookie

From what I'm understanding, the locking mechanism is a solenoid that's electronically activated. If that's the case, a relay should be able to be put inline to activate the solenoid when the push button is depressed. If that's the case, it makes the install a whole lot simpler...
Old 03-09-11, 03:49 PM
scyul
Pole Position

On all cars I worked on, the steering wheel lock is always pulled mechanically by turning the key. Not electrically.

This locking mechanism would have to be modified. A solenoid could pull the mechanical lock when the proximity detector senses your key card… But in case of a failure of that solenoid, the locking pin would be reengaged, locking the steering wheel. Not what you want when driving!

Unlocking the steering wheel could be accomplished by a two position servo motor, similar to the door lock actuators.

Quick Reply: Next mod, keyless!?!?