SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

DIY Side markers installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 08:18 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by scyul
6- Since I didn’t have a connector for the side marker, I soldered two wires to the terminals and waterproofed with some silicone. Make sure the wires are long enough to reach the front headlight assembly and route the wire in the fender.

7- You’ll need to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights… Then, connect the wires to the flasher wires (Gray connector).

Voilà!
Did you take some pics of the DIY? Would have been awesome. You are right there is no way to get to the signal light but to remove the headlight and that means the bumper has to come off. This is a PITA DIY.

Would do it if pics were available.
Old 03-02-11, 02:54 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, no pictures of the bumper removal but it's very easy and takes little time...

There's 5 or 6 screws attaching the lower part of the bumper to the fairing under the engine. Removing these will give you acces to the fog lights connectorrs and the headlight washers (under the WS washer fluid tank) that must be unplugged. Also unplug the corner bumper lights.

Then one screw in each wheel well where the bumper meets the fender (behind the liner),

One bolt in the center and 2 attachment plugs each side of the grille...

Then, just unclip the bumper corners and pull it off.
Old 03-02-11, 03:12 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
do you think those fender sidemarkers will cover the hole on the sidemarkers on the front bumper?
Unfortunately, these will not fit the front bumper. They are similar in shape but much smaller in size.
Old 03-02-11, 03:36 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scyul & Mandyfig, you guys have more nerve than I have as far as cutting holes in the side of your vehicles. I don't think I could see through the tears. Plus my hands would be shaking too much. My hat is off to you both. And yes, they look great. One question, to either or both, is bulb clear or amber?
Old 03-02-11, 03:41 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
How do you replace the bulb on the signal light? That where I intended to tap into.
Here's what I found for the bulb replacement...

http://www.diymytoyota.com/yaris/side-marker-bulb-swap/
Old 03-02-11, 04:01 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Scyul & Mandyfig, you guys have more nerve than I have as far as cutting holes in the side of your vehicles. I don't think I could see through the tears. Plus my hands would be shaking too much. My hat is off to you both. And yes, they look great. One question, to either or both, is bulb clear or amber?
Lollll! Thanks for the compliment.

Since these are OEM, they have amber bulbs.
Old 03-02-11, 09:24 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by scyul
Sorry, no pictures of the bumper removal but it's very easy and takes little time...

There's 5 or 6 screws attaching the lower part of the bumper to the fairing under the engine. Removing these will give you acces to the fog lights connectorrs and the headlight washers (under the WS washer fluid tank) that must be unplugged. Also unplug the corner bumper lights.

Then one screw in each wheel well where the bumper meets the fender (behind the liner),

One bolt in the center and 2 attachment plugs each side of the grille...

Then, just unclip the bumper corners and pull it off.
Thanks for the info. And then you need to remove the headlight to get into the connectors right? How hard is that?

If I ever do this, I will do a DIY. But most of the people here will not dare turn on that dremel. When you hear that cutting sound, yes it will hit your nerve. It sends a shudder to me as I write this. You really do not get used to it. The one on the RX was nerve wracking. The SC will probably be 2x as bad.

I am almost trying to find a reason not to go for it.
Old 03-02-11, 09:47 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Once you have removed the bumper cover, removing the headlights is a piece of cake... 2 bolts, one nut and one plastic clip.

To cut the opening, a dremel can easily get out of control... I prefer a jigsaw with a good metal cutting blade. Easier to control and more precise. Then, fine tune the opening slowly by hand with a file.

C'on maaan.... Do it...Do it....Do it!!

Last edited by scyul; 03-02-11 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-02-11, 11:13 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

With a little more coaching....I do not have a decent jigsaw. Plus I put in a lot of hours on the dremel, I have better control on it. But I see your point about the potential for the blade to run off...scary thought. With the jigsaw it is captured on the hole.
Old 03-02-11, 12:02 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

I second SteadyEddy, you have more guts than I have and I am so glad they are standard fit in the UK, cos I would not risk doing what you guys have done.
Mine have orange bulbs Eddy.
Old 03-02-11, 06:39 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no fear of starting the dremel!!! But not in the same garage as were the SC is sitting!!!!! lol
Old 01-28-12, 08:12 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Well I am in on this one finally. Just looking for the thread that WIL44 (Steve) gave me the dimensions of the side markers in the UK edition of the Sc's.

Last edited by mandyfig; 01-28-12 at 08:44 AM.