SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How much damage under the bumper cover...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 02:51 PM
ShinySC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry How much damage under the bumper cover...

from a minor fender bender? A guy rear-ended me yesterday as I was at a stop sign, merging right. I guess he felt I should have gone, and he could have made it as well...

So the cover is intact, minor scuffing (his right fender corner hit just above the small square cover on my left side), which I think could be polished out, but I'm more worried about damage under the cover that I can't see. Feels like there's styrofoam under there, and it's probably no longer flush to the cover...

Since it's his fault (no cops, I have all his info), I should just claim it and have it fixed by his insurance company, but I'd like to do it at my own convenience, especially if it's just detailing... But what a pain in the ... rear end.

Anyone have experience assessing the damage from one of these? Probably no more than 5 mph bump. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-11, 03:59 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone is probably going to ask for pictures. Pics please.
Old 03-02-11, 09:54 PM
ausbun
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely want the impact-absorbing material under the bumper cover replaced.

Think of it like one of those bicycle helmets. Once it's been dropped, or in a wreck, the material has done its job and absorbed the energy. If it's not replaced, there's no energy-absorbing capability left.

Make the repair shop show you the new material after it's installed. Their butt won't be protected by that foam; yours will.
Old 03-03-11, 04:13 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As an adjuster and an appraiser for over 21 years..the answer is.. the reinforcement under the bumper must be replaced..do not accept a repair without it. Heavens forbid you get in to another rear end accident.. that may make a big difference in the outcome of if you are hurt, or how much body damage the car will sustain.

Get it replaced. Also.. do NOT go to the " company's" body shop. Find the best shop-- perhaps a recommended one from the dealer. This is because the paint and body work on Lexus vehicles are up to a much higher standard than most shops can work on.

Katy
Old 03-03-11, 06:11 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Got that right. I bought a used Maxima for the son. He was rear rear ended (very lightly) but a corner of the bumper crumpled and broke into pieces. Guess what? The absorber was missing. A $60 item could have saved the bumper. But no, I had to spend $700 to get the whole bumper replaced (yup it was a hit and run). I made sure the absorber was in place when it was repaired.
Old 03-03-11, 07:29 AM
ShinySC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone. The nearest Lexus dealer is 2 hrs away, but they gave me a shop nearby that they would recommend. If Lexus could do the work in 1 day, I could make it into a day trip on a Saturday or something, but I'd hate to get stuck there overnight, or without transportation. So at the minimum, I'll get a quote at the recommended place, and file a claim.

...and resist the urge to use the check for new wheels and coilovers...