Advice on purchasing a 2002 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 10:45 AM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice on purchasing a 2002 SC430

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for years and wanted to get a SC430 for easy open air cruising. Just found a pristine 2-owner 2002 SC430 with 48k miles, black on ecu. Car is in great condition and drives well.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2234879442.html

AutoCheck report comes back clean. What do you all think?

BTW, I drive a 2005 BMW 330Ci convertible now and it is very much fun but the quality problems have got me in my 1.5 years of ownership so far:convertible top hydraulic system failed, steering wheel creak, starter going out, Thermostat going out, etc. I have hundreds of $ of BMW parts in my garage to be prepared. LOL

Every time I drive it I am so excited about the ride and handling but even more worried about something is going to break.

Now I want something more reliable that won't drain my wallet.
Old 03-04-11, 10:57 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only part that will drain your wallet is buying mods for it lol As long as the paint was solely for that dime sized paint chip (not an accident), it seems like a decent price. If you've been looking for years and this is the first one you're actually considering, it seems like this one is the one you really want.
Old 03-04-11, 11:04 AM
VVTiBob

Received 272 Likes on 204 Posts

Looks interesting...but overpriced. If you're interested I'd get the VIN from the seller and check the car's history at Lexus. If you have been lurking as you say, hopefully you've read the sticky thread written by SCDROPTOP on buying a SC430. There is a huge amount of info and all the right questions to ask while doing your due diligence.

Oh and BTW...our SC430 are one of the most reliable cars built...especially when comparing repair histories...but it is Japanese not European or German... the ride will not be as tight.

Go back and read his thread it really covers it all...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ned-sc430.html
Old 03-04-11, 11:19 AM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I have read the buyer guide and know some of the potential issues/tricks about SC430. I have test driven half a dozen SC430s and this one felt the best.

I will check the VIN on Lexus web site for dealer services. The owner showed me the painting invoice and the pre-painting picture. It is a dime sized chip to bare metal. Actually, you can see the last picture in ad showing the chip.

After negotiation, the owner agreed to $17,500 while my offer is $17k. The edmunds private party for Excellent condition is $16k, but I have yet found any good one for that price. There was a "well used" 2002 SC430 with 100k miles listed for $16k, and the conditin was far from good.

I plan to do an inspection. If everything is good, I don't mind paying an extra $500. It is really difficult to find a mint condition, low mileage early SC430 in my search so far.

Last edited by jzwu; 03-04-11 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-04-11, 11:57 AM
jt430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

17500 sounds good to me! Good Luck
Old 03-04-11, 12:28 PM
Sapherynth
Driver

IMHO I think that $17,500 is a very very fare price and if everything checks out you will be extremely happy with your new convertible!
Old 03-04-11, 12:36 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Thought so too. Thanks for the insight and making my day.
Old 03-04-11, 01:02 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redliner8
The only part that will drain your wallet is buying mods for it lol As long as the paint was solely for that dime sized paint chip (not an accident), it seems like a decent price. If you've been looking for years and this is the first one you're actually considering, it seems like this one is the one you really want.
Yeah right. If I do buy the car, the first thing to get is the strut bar and then the coilovers and go on.

The stock ride is too Lexus for me.
Old 03-04-11, 01:29 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 417 Likes on 366 Posts

Just wait until scdrotop gets a hold of this...he is the man! Listen to him, you will be happier. I did.
Old 03-04-11, 01:52 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Stick with $17k, tell him that the car is 2002 is due for the big $1800 timming belt tune-up/maintience!!!

Yea...its the #1 reliable hardtop convert out there!!
Attached Thumbnails Advice on purchasing a 2002 SC430-crreliabilitychart_2_opt.jpg  
Old 03-04-11, 01:59 PM
tentoys
Rookie

we traded a '07 MB slk 280 for the lexus because of the reliability. we loved the slk but 4 times in the shop the 1st year was too much. that was the 1st time in 20 years i've gotten away from toyota products and learned my lesson fast.
Old 03-04-11, 02:39 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

I'd rather spending my money modding that I enjoy than into repairs that I dread. Good reliability is the foundation for almost everything else.

I was looking for a used Porsche (2002-2004) and did much research and a few test drives. It is really nice when it works.

The potential engine blowup just scared me away. Sounds like everyone with a Porsche has funds ready for a new engine replacement or a complete engine rebuild in the tune of $15k+. So the purchase price is just a downpayement.
Old 03-08-11, 09:00 AM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Thanks all for the good info and suggestions. I am getting the car tonight. Keep my fingers crossed.

Now I am thinking about the upgrades.

Mostly I’d like to beef up the suspension for better handling. Below is from my research so far. My driving style is semi aggressive.

(1) Strut bar (Toms, Carbing, Cusco). Relatively cheap and easy to install. Probably not much effect. Does it tighten up the front end a bit?

(2) Front sway bar (TRD). Found it at Sewell for $308. Does it fit SC430? It is designed for GS300/400/430. Do I need it if I go with coilovers?

(3) Megan EZ coilovers. Probably the best upgrade. Any potential quality issues? Heard of blowouts. How low can I drop with stock wheels/tires without rubbing and alignment issues? Thinking about 1.5” drop.

(4) Lower suspension braces front and rear from Sewell about $640 each end. Do they work at all? How much effect?

As always, your valuable input is highly appreciated!
Old 03-08-11, 09:42 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jzwu
Thanks all for the good info and suggestions. I am getting the car tonight. Keep my fingers crossed.

Now I am thinking about the upgrades.

Mostly I’d like to beef up the suspension for better handling. Below is from my research so far. My driving style is semi aggressive.

(1) Strut bar (Toms, Carbing, Cusco). Relatively cheap and easy to install. Probably not much effect. Does it tighten up the front end a bit?

(2) Front sway bar (TRD). Found it at Sewell for $308. Does it fit SC430? It is designed for GS300/400/430. Do I need it if I go with coilovers?

(3) Megan EZ coilovers. Probably the best upgrade. Any potential quality issues? Heard of blowouts. How low can I drop with stock wheels/tires without rubbing and alignment issues? Thinking about 1.5” drop.

(4) Lower suspension braces front and rear from Sewell about $640 each end. Do they work at all? How much effect?

As always, your valuable input is highly appreciated!
Congrats!!! Please post pics when you have a chance.

The most dramatic driving changes you can make to your SC are wheels/tires and coilovers. Period. Don't waste your time on sway bars and suspension braces unless you have the 2002 SC control arm bushing common issue at this point. Some folks have posted great outcomes with tower bars and sway bars after coilovers but honestly I would do wheels and tires first, then coilovers second.

Do a search on that...we've covered it extensively!

Again with the Megan quality issue??? You are the second newbie who has posted this question...must be something out there on it. Where did you hear that? What's funny to me is that ANY aftermarket part can fail if it is abused. Coilovers performance and longevity, durability are solely dependant on user settings and driving habits...PERIOD. Are some slightly more dependable or better than others? SURE. Are some brands more expensive than others? SURE Do some have more features, etc and slightly better ratings...SURE. Bottom line is that I believe their might be some misinformation or negative vibe about a "blowout" which I have yet to actually see the pics or hear about personally of a Megan coiilover failing...but to be honest with you it wasn't on a SC430 and we don't know anything else about the story.

Tein Megan Ksport DPS D2 CS KIDO are all brands you can find on eBay right now for the SC430. Prices range from $699 to $3k. I guarantee you that if you googled any of those brands like "blown megan" or "blown ksport" you would get 1,000-4,000 hits for each one...I did and that's what came up. What's more relevant is how that particular brand performs on your car with similar/like set up and driving habits---all which you have to dig deeper to find out. I'd MUCH rather trust Club Lexus members on this forum that have installed a particular coilover on their car with similar settings or set up (wheels, tires, etc) to me so that I can get a realistic expectation. I'm conservative. I didn't slam my car. I'm sure if you SLAMMED any car with coilovers and drove the hell out of it, went over speed bumps or potholes and jacked up your car wrecklessly or hit a curb---the coilover would blow. Again the bottom line is that there are so many variables and unknowns about coilovers and driving habits you can't really say a coilover is "bad" based on one example getting "blown".

This IS forum post is a classic example of misinformation and people talking out of their A$$ about things they have no experience it. One member was bashing Megans and all he did was hot rod an IS around the track once in them and didn't even own or put them on his car. No one else chimed in until one member at the bottom (scroll down) posted that HE HAD them on his IS and loved them and thought they were perfect. See what I mean??? http://my.is/forums/f89/megan-racing-lp-series-388426/

Although there are over 2,000 hits on yahoo for "blown megan coilover" after about the fourth of fifth post, there is really nothing of substance or proof, and certainly nothing on Megans for neither Lexus nor SC430. Additionally, there are over 4,000 hits for Tein coilovers blown. One forum is on a Mazda 6, the other on some 87 supra and another on a Mitsubishi. Do a search on here as well. Do your due diligence. Not trying to talk you into or out of anything, just want you to be leary of misinfomation.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...p&fr=yfp-t-701

I CAN tell you that I know personally 3-4 people on this forum that have had GREAT success and love their Megan Coilovers and recommend them. I have seen them with my own two eyes and have experienced them, adjusted them and had them put on my own car...that's a real experience. Two thumbs up for Megan here. Quality, price, ease of use, ride, look are all great. I have the Megan LP Streets.

Others have their opinions and experiences too. Do you research and pick a set---I really don't think you can go "wrong". Coilovers are one of the most dramatic ride altering modification you can make to the SC along with wheels/tires. Next...iPod Vais Unit and 2006+ tail lights!!

Hope this helps. Wheels/tires and coilovers. Do your research, do some searches and pick some that fit your taste/budget and your comfort levels based on your research/testimony you gathered is the best advice I can give.

Good luck...keep us posted and please post some pics! Congrats!!!
Old 03-08-11, 09:47 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't answer your question about height. 1.5" inches would be very conservative. I started at 2.5" and came up a bit. Probably settling around 2" and it's still conservative. No rubbing, no extreme out-of-whack camber, etc. Only thing I might change is a wider wheel or spacers to get my wheels to stick out more, but it's purely cosmetic and VERY minute (not like there is a "ton" of space, I'm just OCD like that!) Here is a pic of my car lowered with Megans. You can search for my other posts and see more pics or PM me and I can send.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on purchasing a 2002 SC430-photo3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Advice on purchasing a 2002 SC430