SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 07:25 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy expensive Batman lol Does the 1500 fit, can you take a pic? Mine has recessed terminals, like the 1220 and OEM. Do your terminals hit the bottom of the hood...? Seems really powerful...my $95 Duralast is 875 CCA at 32 degrees, the 1500 seems to have 1050 CCA at 32 degrees.
Old 03-10-11, 07:49 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

redliner8
The 1500 battery is a reverse pole battery meaning + is were its needs to be for our cars. If your looking for a superior battery and one of the strongest battery this is it. Yes cost is more but, I don't look at cost, I look at what I get for my money.
Regards

Last edited by bacardi; 03-10-11 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-10-11, 08:04 AM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Lexus recommends a Group 48 battery. Here are the dimensions:
12 1/16 x 6 7/8 x 7 9/16.

The 1500rt battery he recommends is 10 1/4 x 6 13/16 x 7 7/8. You can reach your own conclusions.

Here is a link to the BCI Group size chart.

http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

Finally, even the Odyssey battery manufacture recommends their 1220 model not the 1500, for the SC430. http://www.odysseybattery.com/batterysearch.asp

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-10-11 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added link to Odyssey Battery's website battery sizing tool.
Old 03-10-11, 09:01 AM
mam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
But isn't true absorbed glass mat batteries still contain sulfuric acid just like regulars? While there may be less fluid, AGM batteries still contain the same materials and use the same chemical processes to make electricity. Basic Chem is still involved with the AGM technology.
Its not fluid, Bob.. its more like a gel. I think its quite obvious that no one here is arguing how the electricity is made, its still considered lead/acid, the difference being a battery thats using water vs one thats using gel. There are more differences which reflect the higher cost, but I will leave it up to you to do your own research to determine if and why these batteries should justify their higher price tag.

In addition, isn't true the battery case can fail just like the so called standard batteries. For example, iF a vehicle is involved in a violent collision? While AGM batteries may be more environmentally, friendly, as you suggest, they're still subject to many of the same failures of the older technology or human error. For example, if improperly charged, hydrogen evolution will cause AGMs' safety valve to vent.
You are right. In the case of a violent collision, a battery very well could fail. In fact, should you have the misfortune of running into a car, tank, wall, etc - I would recommend having your entire vehicle thoroughly inspected as I am sure the battery would not be the only item of concern. Jokes aside, and to further counter your point, the Odyssey battery I recently purchased for my race car has a steel jacket that lines the entire exterior of the plastic battery casing. This not only adds additional structural rigidity but also secures the casing from warpage which can and will occur when a battery is neglected, for example if extremely overheated due to over-charge or quick charging.

As for the AGM safety valve, this valve is not a breather type valve like you find on a traditional wet battery. This is an emergency valve that will only open in an extreme situation. Again, there is a reason why cars that have a battery mounted within the vehicle's cabin use AGM style batteries. They are the only type of batteries safe enough, otherwise you would need a battery box with a vent tube. The Mazda Miata, for example, comes with a sealed AGM type battery as it is mounted in the trunk.

Originally Posted by redliner8
Holy expensive Batman lol Does the 1500 fit, can you take a pic? Mine has recessed terminals, like the 1220 and OEM. Do your terminals hit the bottom of the hood...? Seems really powerful...my $95 Duralast is 875 CCA at 32 degrees, the 1500 seems to have 1050 CCA at 32 degrees.
Lexus recommends a Group 48 battery.
I cannot comment and say whether or not the OP purchased the proper or ideal size battery without seeing some high-res installation photos. Much like purchasing an aggressively sized wheel/tire for a car, you can research sizes and offsets all day - but the bottom line is you'll never know how it fits or whether or not it clears your large brake calipers until you physically test fit. Same goes with the battery, there could be a reason that is not easily apparent as to why the vendor sold the OP a slightly shorter battery, but thats not really a big deal. Whats more important is if it fits good and works good. If the larger (taller) group 48 battery fits, then we should at least thank Bacardi for being a test mule and letting us know about his experience with these batteries.

As for the ratings, I wouldnt be surprised if companies like Odyssey or Optima conservatively rate their batteries as opposed to your run of the mill battery which are optimistically rated and can vary in performance due to the alkalinity and level of the water within the battery (which also requires maintenance). Anyone familiar with hifi audio would understand this as you can get a 1000-watt amplifier (peak) which is easily out-performed by a high quality 35-watt amplifier (real/rms).
Old 03-10-11, 10:13 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mam
i did alot of reading about these batteries, but i see you know. thats why i'm getting 4 for my boat. i've had my boat 8 years and never heard of these batteries. i'm finding out that people in the know, know about these batteries. thank you, your right i just wanted to share what a great battery they are with the guys. like i said cost is some what higher, but look at what your getting for that extra cost, i do.
regards

Last edited by bacardi; 03-10-11 at 10:25 AM.