Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 02:21 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

Hi Guys
Just bought the best battery you can buy for our car.
Its call the Odyssey battery. Cost is high but you get what no other battery will give you.
Regards
Old 03-04-11, 03:51 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is it?
Old 03-04-11, 05:39 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

I believe he is referring to this Group Size 48 battery. If it's really is $300...I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a car battery when others do the job at half the cost.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1220.htm

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-04-11 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 07:27 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Agree with Bob, how can the claim be made...
Old 03-04-11, 08:30 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I got an Interstate battery that was pretty economical and rated significantly higher than what the OEM battery was rated for. Fitted perfectly and I've been happy. I think it was comfortably under $100 including installation at the local Firestone store.
Old 03-05-11, 09:10 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a Diehard battery in my basement right now. Not sure if it will last another season. Regardless, when it's time I pan on replacing mine with the yellow Optima Battery for half the price. Since I store my car half the year the Optima battery is highly rated for that kind of use.
Old 03-05-11, 03:24 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

vvtibob
The battery is the PC1500 RT. It just drops in. Its 1500 crank amps deep cell You won't believe how quick the engine spins. I don't drive my car much in the winter. I want a battery that can take anything. This battery will out do any battery out there. Best warranty bar none. Life span up to 8 years. Free replacement when other batteries are done or pro-rated. See I look at the hole picture. For 257.00 shipped to my door I can't go wrong.
Regards

Last edited by bacardi; 03-05-11 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 04:27 PM
VVTiBob

You're certainly entitled to use whatever battery you want. However the OEM recommended size for the SC430 is a Group 48 which is about two inches longer on the lengthwise measurement than the Group 34 battery you're touting. Physically smaller batteries can move/slip on the battery shelf and can be problematic to properly secure.

Additionally, "Deep Cell or Cycle" batteries are typically intended for continuous use applications such as golf carts or electric trolling motors on small fishing boats, not cars. A typical automotive or "SLI" battery is a short use; starter, lights and ignition applications and then recharged by the car during the drive cycle.

The 1500 Amp rating you quote is for 5 seconds. Its real world CCA rating: 880A at 0°F (-18°C) for 30 seconds before voltage drops to below 7 volts.

My point for the money you spent IMO you'd be better off with a battery around $100 bucks and a tender for the long winter naps in the garage.

Finally, even the Odyssey battery manufacture recommends their 1220 model not the 1500, for the SC430. http://www.odysseybattery.com/batterysearch.asp.

Who suggested/recommended the wrong model battery to you?

Well if nothing else, I hope you get at least 8 years out of it, you certainly paid for it!

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-05-11 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added link to manufacturer
Old 03-06-11, 06:51 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

vvtibob
if you read about the batteries you will see they are dry cell batteries. They are a different type of battery then you are use to, also if you checked you will see that the PC1500RT is the right battery, the poles are reverse for proper hookup. The company new what battery to send me. These are the only batteries used by the military, that show you that they are made to last.
Regards

Last edited by bacardi; 03-06-11 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-06-11, 09:40 AM
VVTiBob

"Dry cell" means you don't need to add water due to evaporation. The battery is sealed it's not fluidless. This type of design is intended to avoid hazardous spills of sulfuric acid. The Odyssey Battery, like all other automotive batteries, use a lead-acid chemical reaction that releases electrons, allowing them to flow through conductors (lead plates) to produce electricity.

Their claim is the use what they call "virgin" lead, which is most likely a marketing term, instead of lead alloys. They say they "pack in more plates" and claim, more plates equals more plate surface area for the liquid chemical reaction to generate more power. I suppose this, along with full replacement warranty, are the reasons used to justify selling batteries at two and half times the normal costs.

I can guarantee you they are NOT the "... the only batteries used by the military". The DOD uses hundreds of types of batteries. Odyssey likely produces a good reliable product that met and or meets military specs on an RFP/RFQ and won a contract bid to provide batteries. Or, maybe it's like the line in the movie "Independence Day" where Julius turns to the President and says, "You don't actually think they (referring to the military) spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?"

Regarding the battery model you bought. If you don't care to believe me, then take a couple of minutes of your time and follow the link I posted in comment #8 above. Enter your car's year, make and model information you'll see the manufacture, Odyssey, not some retailer, follows Lexus' OEM recommendation and says you should have purchased their PC1220 model, a BCI Group 48 battery. The 1220 also has the poles correctly oriented for a SC430 installation. However, Odyssey does warn a modification may be necessary to the battery's restraint system. Most likely due to a non-conforming BCI Group 48 form factor.

Maybe that's why the retailer you used sent you a smaller battery then the OEM recommendations called for?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-06-11 at 09:50 AM. Reason: clarified further
Old 03-09-11, 01:22 PM
mam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Additionally, "Deep Cell or Cycle" batteries are typically intended for continuous use applications such as golf carts or electric trolling motors on small fishing boats, not cars. A typical automotive or "SLI" battery is a short use; starter, lights and ignition applications and then recharged by the car during the drive cycle.
You are incorrect.

Deep cycle batteries are perfectly fine for automotive street car use. Difference is that a deep cycle can be fully discharged and recharged without harming the battery. I had a deep cycle Optima battery last over 10 years of automotive use. The chances of a normal lead/acid battery lasting that long are pretty slim. Furthermore, I was able to sell the old (tired, but still working) Optima battery for $50 bucks. Go figure.

I think the biggest pro in going with any type of sealed AGM type battery is that the batteries will not spill corrosive fluid (or emit corrosive vapor).

You can measure BCI sizes and compare specs all day, bottom line is that size for size, an AGM battery will weight more and overall provide more power than a standard lead/acid battery. With exception to the inexpensive Optima starter batteries, all of the deep cycle Optima or Odyssey batteries are capable of lasting a very long time.
Old 03-09-11, 02:16 PM
VVTiBob

Guess the statement "are typically intended" didn't register with you. I never said you couldn't or shouldn't use them.
My comments were made to distinguish the difference between the two types. Point out they sold the wrong size (BCI) battery per the OEM recommendations, and finally, the cost. At nearly 2.5 times a standard car battery, the cost of a warranty replacement is actually being paid on the original purchase date.
As I stated, IMO, under the circumstances described, a standard battery with a tender for periods of non-use would have been a wiser purchase.
Old 03-09-11, 04:51 PM
mam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, the problem is that you are not comparing apples with apples. It it not fair to compare a sealed AGM battery with a standard lead/acid battery. While you may feel it is the wiser purchase, others may feel that lead/acid is the miser's choice. Price aside, AGM technology is clearly superior and more durable. The fact that you dont have any corrosive fluid or gasses is an added benefit.

I for one, prefer AGM batteries and use them in all of my vehicles. There is a reason why deep cycle batteries are on boats and in applications where reliability is a priority, and that reason is because they are superior.
Old 03-09-11, 08:36 PM
VVTiBob

But isn't true absorbed glass mat batteries still contain sulfuric acid just like regulars? While there may be less fluid, AGM batteries still contain the same materials and use the same chemical processes to make electricity. Basic Chem is still involved with the AGM technology.

In addition, isn't true the battery case can fail just like the so called standard batteries. For example, iF a vehicle is involved in a violent collision? While AGM batteries may be more environmentally, friendly, as you suggest, they're still subject to many of the same failures of the older technology or human error. For example, if improperly charged, hydrogen evolution will cause AGMs' safety valve to vent.

Please remember the original premise of this thread was "Just bought the best battery you can buy for our car." The OP statement was not supported by any facts as you can read in Comment #1. Arguments can be made that this battery, more specifically the one the OP names in comment #7, may not be the "best" battery you can buy for Lexus SC430.

IMO "best" can refer to many aspects of the particular endorsed by the OP. I just chose to offer a different opinion supported with facts.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-09-11 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 07:06 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Hi guys
thanks mam
i was just going to just let it end. To me its the best battery i ever purchased and your right it is far superior. I have a 36 ft power boat with 4 batteries in it and it will do over 90 mph. I just purchased 4 for the boat. I never new about these battery but the more i read the more i learn. But bob thinks they gave me the wrong battery. Not so, i know the chart on the websit said 1220 battery. What bob didn't know is that i was buying the battery direct from the company and this is the battery they told me to use the 1500 battery in the car.
Regards

Last edited by bacardi; 03-10-11 at 07:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Battery