SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I'm having issues with navtool install. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 03:28 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm having issues with navtool install. HELP!!!

Maybe someone can tell me if I installed it wrong. I plugged in the plug and play harness of course.

I then tapped the navtool 12v power to the Gray accessory wire on the 18 pin plug on the back of the nav unit. I then tapped the ground in to the white with black stripe on 18 pin plug. I also tapped the 12v for the camera and ground to this as well.

I then tapped the Blue camera wire from navtool in to the yellow with red stripe on back on the 18pin plug of navunit.

I took the two white and green handbrake wire and grounded them all to a bolt.

RCA is plugged in to input 2.

Nav seems to come up fine but camera doesnt turn on when I go in reverse. I even tried plugging the RCA in to input 1, flipped the toggle an it changes to a blank black screen.

I know I'm getting power to navtool because the red light is on.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong??
Old 03-13-11, 08:54 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I also replied in your other thread but don't want you to miss it:

Did you confirm your selection of the reverse wire with a volt meter? Is the nav screen going black when you are in reverse or does it continue to display the nav info? If the nav continues to display then you've likely tapped the wrong wire for reverse. Did you solder your connections? I don't like those quick taps as they may not pierce the insulation adequately if at all. I strip insulation back without cutting the conductor and then solder the additional wire to the exposed wire followed with some electrical tape.

Oh, be sure that all the Navtool and Nav computer connectors are fully clicked into their sockets.
Old 04-04-11, 11:47 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

VIPNiSS, did you ever get the Navtool working? I just bought a Navtool myself and am also planning on installing it in the next few days. For those who have installed it, I had a question about the green wire. The online instructions say to attach it to the parking brake wire and that it must see ground in order for video 1 to be activated. But it sounds as though other installers have just been attaching both the green and the corresponding white wire to ground and not attaching anything to the parking brake wire. Does video through the Navtool still work in this instance? Thank you!
Old 04-05-11, 06:56 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mctufts
Hello,

VIPNiSS, did you ever get the Navtool working? I just bought a Navtool myself and am also planning on installing it in the next few days. For those who have installed it, I had a question about the green wire. The online instructions say to attach it to the parking brake wire and that it must see ground in order for video 1 to be activated. But it sounds as though other installers have just been attaching both the green and the corresponding white wire to ground and not attaching anything to the parking brake wire. Does video through the Navtool still work in this instance? Thank you!

Yes. Most folks (everyone that I know of) just grounds this wire with the rest of the grounds. That way, the NavTool will work whenever you want it to, not just went the parking brake is on.

Of course, it goes without saying that you should NEVER watch videos while the car is in motion. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in most states to have moving video visible to the driver while the car is in motion.
Old 04-05-11, 08:46 AM
mctufts
Rookie

Habious, thanks a lot for the reply! I will just ground the white and green wires then. Does it matter where I ground them? I've seen threads where they're ground to the actual ground wire going into the Nav unit through tapping or grounding through attaching the wires to the nav unit bolts. Will either way be sufficient? Thanks again!
Old 04-05-11, 12:23 PM
Habious
Pole Position

I usually just bundle all the grounds together, put a crimp ring tap on the group, and find a convenient bolt back there to put it under.
Old 04-05-11, 02:43 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I did a little different by tapping all my grounds together (brake + ground, NavTool Ground and camera ground) into the white with black stripe ground on the 18 pin connector behind the Nav DVD. Did similar by tapping my camera power and NavTool backup wire to the 18 pin connector yellow with red. Lastly, the NavTool accessory power went to the grey of the 18 pin connector. So all my connections went to the three wires on the 18 pin connector. Note that the NavTool website installation pdf file recommends a 5 amp inline fuse on the power. I did it because NavTool recommended it, but looking at that small wire size, I'd be surprised if 5 amps isn't too big.
Old 04-06-11, 10:41 AM
mctufts
Rookie

Thanks for the advice everyone. If I decide to group the wires and crimp them into a ring terminal, what size ring terminal is big enough to fit all 3 grounds?

Also, what method of tapping did you guys use? Soldering or the scotchloks/squeeze connectors?

Thanks again, this will definitely make the install process easier!
Old 04-06-11, 12:02 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mctufts
Thanks for the advice everyone. If I decide to group the wires and crimp them into a ring terminal, what size ring terminal is big enough to fit all 3 grounds?

Also, what method of tapping did you guys use? Soldering or the scotchloks/squeeze connectors?

Thanks again, this will definitely make the install process easier!
The ground wires for the NavTool are very small. Even all bundled together, you should be fine with using a Red terminal. The ring size, however, needs to be big enough to go around whatever bolt you find and plan to use.

I used a squeeze-tap for the reverse-sense wire and for power.
Old 04-06-11, 12:08 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I've known Scotchlok's to fail immediately, because they didn't puncture the insulation because the wire gauge is too small, or fail later because of vibration and corrosion is suppose. I just strip the insulation back a bit on the wire I'm tapping onto and wrap the new wire around it. I then use a small, cordless, soldering pencil and solder it. A few wraps of electrical tape and I'm sure I'm done for good. By the way one such Scotchlok story was from this forum from a member installing the NavTool so beware.
Old 04-06-11, 01:26 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Point taken. Although the skotchlok method was tempting and some never have issues with it, I will go ahead with the soldering technique.

Habious, so you bundled all of the grounds, including the Navtool 12v power ground in one ring terminal?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-11, 10:53 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Getting the Navtool either tomorrow or the day after. Have been going through the install process in my head and have a few questions for those who have installed it already:

1) If I go with the soldering method to splice into the ACC wire and the ground wire, how exactly do I strip into the middle of the wires I'm splicing into? Or how do i strip the insulation back to expose a wire for splicing? I've heard of people using a lighter to burn off the insulation to people using an knife to cut it off. Would I be able to use an automatic wire stripper to accomplish this?

2) For DC power to the Navtool, can I just connect the DC ground wire to the same bolt that the other ground wires (1 green and 2 white) are going to? Or do I have to connect that wire to a specific ground wire in one of the harnesses going into the Nav unit?

Thanks again for the help! Its much appreciated!

Last edited by mctufts; 04-13-11 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-14-11, 07:53 AM
Habious
Pole Position

For question #2 - Yes, you can bundle that with the other grounds. Generally speaking, you want your ground wires to be a short as possible so, find the closest convenient bolt to snag for ground.

For question #1 - I'll let others answer that one.
Old 04-15-11, 01:16 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Habious, thanks as always for the help. Now I'm thinking of just using Scotchloks as you did. Have you had any issues with the Scotchloks at all? I have Scotchloks for 16-22 AWG wire...was that similar to the size you used? Thanks again!
Old 04-15-11, 05:24 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

These are the best connectors to use for solderless connections or splices. I use these
all the time. take a look at this web site

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...posi-lock.html

Quick Reply: I'm having issues with navtool install. HELP!!!