SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Disabling NAV System Voice Prompts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-02, 06:44 PM
ctbjr1309
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling NAV System Voice Prompts?

I have not been able to figure out how to disable the NAV system voice prompts other than by going into the menu system every time I use the system.

I prefer in most cases for the prompts to be disabled. I have to turn them off each time that I use the system. Then they remain off until I turn off and restart the car. Is it possible to have the prompts off until I turn them back on?
Old 08-25-02, 09:00 PM
ctbjr1309
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Disabling NAV System Voice Prompts?

Originally posted by genearch

Are you sure you're doing it correctly? Menu, Volume Control, OFF and it should stick...

[/B]
That's exactly what I'm doing. It sticks only until I turn off the engine or the NAV system. Then when I turn the NAV system back on, the voice prompts are enabled again.
Old 08-25-02, 09:58 PM
BlackLXSC
Rookie

You may want to have your dealer check this issue. I usually have the volume OFF as described above, and turn it ON only in circumstances where I really need it. It works without an issue. Another solution would be to lower the volume to 1, which would still cause the momentary reduction in volume on the top left speaker.
Old 08-25-02, 10:04 PM
ctbjr1309
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I'll have the dealer check it. It's helpful to know how it's supposed to work and that mine is just somehow malfunctioning. I appreciate the quick replies.
Old 08-25-02, 10:09 PM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Somethings Wrong

That's not working right.

I turn the voice off and on frequently (I wish I could do that with my dates) and I know that both the on/off position and the volume setting remain as you set them until you enter "menu" and change the volume or the on/off again (I think it's the bottom line on the screen after you hit the menu button.)

If your system is re-setting the on/off by itself when you stop the car, something is not correct.

Before you call the dealer, try a few other things to find out what else may not be working right. For example, set the volume to 1, and see of the volume level stays the same after a restrat of the car. Then try it with a higher volume. Find out if a route to an entered destination is being saved after a restart (i.e.: set a destination and get into the route; stop the engine. The screen should retract and the door close -- when you restart, the door should open by itself and the same destination should be set -- after all, you don't want to reset a destination every time you stop for gas.)

Find out what, besides the voice being on, is changing when you stop and restart the car. The more detail you have the better. Then call your dealer and have it in for service. The more information you can give him about what is working correctly and what is not will help him find and fix the problem.

You could have worse problems.

This can be fixed.
Old 08-26-02, 08:29 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

tfischer ....

>I turn the voice off and on frequently (I wish I could do that with my dates) <

You can. Don't marry any of them.
Old 01-07-03, 03:41 PM
ctbjr1309
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

I know that you have all been eagerly awaiting the update to this thread and I'm posting it in case it helps others avoid chasing after their local service departments like I've been doing for the last several months.

To make a long story fairly short, what I have been told is that NAV systems initially worked in the manner described by those who replied to my original post. Systems installed in cars manufactured after a certain date (January, 2002, I believe) work like mine. My car was manufactured in April, 2002.

My dealer tells me that a conscious decision was made by Lexus to change the system and that mine is working as intended. I can mute it but only until the car or the NAV system is turned off and back on again at which point the volume level reverts to the most recently set level other than mute.

I'm sure that somewhere there is a logical explanation for making this change but it certainly escapes me. Every time I take the 4 steps required to reset the mute setting I think kind thoughts of Lexus and its engineers.

Anybody with an SC430 manufactured prior to Jan. '02 wanna trade?
Old 01-07-03, 05:51 PM
tfischer

Default Why?

So let me get this right -- they fixed something that wasn't broken?

They have that much time on their hands?

We paid too much.
Old 01-08-03, 05:55 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

My GS does the same thing- that voice, while novel at first, quickly grows annoying. I have to manually turn off volume every timel, too.

Partial solution- Make sure your screen transition option is on so that you don't have to switch manually back to NAV. Eliminates a keystroke, at least.
Old 01-08-03, 05:59 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dealers will always fix stuff that's not broken.

How many time have you taken a car in for routine service only to recieve a $300 bill and be asked "How's it running now ?"

Hell, it was running FINE before I brought it in !!
Old 01-08-03, 06:06 PM
ctbjr1309
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Ex996
Make sure your screen transition option is on so that you don't have to switch manually back to NAV. Eliminates a keystroke, at least.
I don't recall such an option being available on my SC. Anybody know the answer?
Old 01-08-03, 07:28 PM
tfischer

Default GS

I don't think the SC has that option because the NAV screen is not used for anything else.

I think, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, that the GS has a screen which also can control the Heat and AC (and maybe even the radio).

Since the poster of that note seems to own a GS, not an SC, I think that is what he is referring to.
Old 01-08-03, 07:49 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Default Re: GS

Originally posted by tfischer
I don't think the SC has that option because the NAV screen is not used for anything else.

I think, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, that the GS has a screen which also can control the Heat and AC (and maybe even the radio).

Since the poster of that note seems to own a GS, not an SC, I think that is what he is referring to.
There I go again, waving my ignorance around like a flag!! You're right, on the GS we control everything from the screen (NAV, stereo, HVAC, and menu options). Sorry about that!!

BTW my buddy just got a new SC430 in dark green with killer leather that looks like the stitching on a baseball. VERY sweet!!
Old 01-08-03, 09:41 PM
Phu
Pole Position

My SC was built in march 2002 and the volume will not stay on the "off" position either. Everytime the car is turned off and back on again the volume reverts back to the last setting(not "off").