SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I am ordering a LuxLink to lower the top remotely -- rear window option worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 10:42 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solman
I highly recommend the remote engine start for the following reasons:
1. Much better than running the battery down
2. Allows you to lower the roof before you get near the car without wearing down the battery. AND impresses everyone within sight of the SC.
3. Allows you to do the "double touch" of the roof close (button) so the roof closes while you are walking away, then the engine shuts off and again saving the battery. AND impresses everyone within sight of the SC.

I seldom use the luxlink without the engine start, even though I have that option.

For the above reasons, I strongly suggest you use the remote start.

John
Hi John,

Re: while you are walking away, then the engine shuts off and again saving the battery.

I know that you did this at the restaurant because I was with you.

But I do need to ask ( yea, I know I'm getting old & forgetful ): How do you take the key out and have the engine continue to run?

This has been bugging more about a week now ( ),

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-27-11, 05:05 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi John,

Re: while you are walking away, then the engine shuts off and again saving the battery.

I know that you did this at the restaurant because I was with you.

But I do need to ask ( yea, I know I'm getting old & forgetful ): How do you take the key out and have the engine continue to run?

This has been bugging more about a week now ( ),

Jerry Baumchen
When you want to close the top and walk away. When you stop your car and are ready to get out double tap the top up dash switch turn key to off
[ MOTOR WILL STILL BE RUNNING [ Remove the key car will stay running top will come up windows will close and car will shut off When you got out car you just manually lock the doors. So recap double tap roof switch turn key to off and remove [ this will now lock the steering wheel ] get out of car manual lock door as you walk away roof comes up all windows close motor shuts off
Old 03-27-11, 06:31 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mrblister is right on. one thing I would add is when he says to manually lock the door, he is referring to the power lock switch on the door (right?). That way both front doors locked when we both got out. This entire process would not be possible without remote start-that is why the car is still running while the top process is going on and why you can remove the key with the car running. My guess is that the engine shuts off less than 5 seconds after the top and windows close. I almost always hear it shut off as I walk away, but sometimes I walk faster than the roof closes. My wife almost always says are you sure it will shut off-thats when I say "I trust my luxlink". On the other hand, it has never NOT shut off.

Again, the correct installation is WITH the remote start. I cannot imagine luxlink without it.

John
Old 03-27-11, 03:49 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
Hey Derek, we ever get a price from Sewell Lexus in Dallas for the install on the Luxlink or rear quarter mod?
Huy-no they won't touch it.
Old 03-27-11, 06:42 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Huy-no they won't touch it.
Hmm... so I guess our choices are Davenport or Steve. Lets see how many are interested after a few weeks and we'll figure it out when the product ships. We might as well all go to the same place to get it done.

I hope this doesn't void the warranty if we have an existing/extended one through Lexus since I'm not savvy enough to work on the car.
Old 03-27-11, 07:15 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Huy-PM me or e-mail me we can chat about the details locally.
Old 03-28-11, 06:29 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
I hope this doesn't void the warranty if we have an existing/extended one through Lexus since I'm not savvy enough to work on the car.
Theoretically, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act of 1975, adding aftermarket items does not void the warranty, unless it can be shown that the aftermarket item caused the failure.

However, it practice, that's an entirely different animal.

I had a problem with my Immobilizer one time...the car was slow/inconsistent to recognize a valid key so that I could start the car.

I took it to the dealership for warranty service.

They took one look under the dash and, after seeing the huge mess-o-wires from the LuxLink told me "Yeah...no. We're not going to touch that until you have all of that removed."

Another forum member, JohnnyCake, had an issue with his steering wheel contorls and horn. The dealership INSISTED the problem HAD to be the LuxLink. They pulled the LuxLink out of the car(frying it in the process) but the problem was still there. Turns out the issue was simply the spiral cable that runs down the center of the steering column. I had to clean up their mess and reinstall a replacement LuxLink after they were all done.
Old 03-28-11, 02:52 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

For any one installing the 1/4 window mod. be advised that when installed it will lower or raise each rear window one at a time as a sequence. It is designed to operate one rear window at a time so there is less drain on the battery. The rear windows do not both come up at the same time. Steve told me the one at a time sequence will not strain the harness or fuse.
Old 03-28-11, 03:22 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

So this LL gives you:

1. Remote start.
2. Remote top operation.
3. Qtr window operation.

That's it right?
Old 03-28-11, 03:28 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
So this LL gives you:

1. Remote start.
2. Remote top operation.
3. Qtr window operation.

That's it right?
The independent control over the 1/4 windows is an additional-expense/additional-installation-complexity option.

That's actually the original point of this thread. "Is the 1/4 window option worth the trouble/expense/headache?"
Old 03-29-11, 04:45 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Habious, what a neat write-up in the New York Times. You are famous!!!!!! And not just here, but wherever the New York Times is read. Way to go.
Old 03-29-11, 04:58 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Habious, what a neat write-up in the New York Times. You are famous!!!!!! And not just here, but wherever the New York Times is read. Way to go.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty proud of that. As a friend told me when the article came out "It's not easy to get into The New York Times for a GOOD reason!"

Last year, for my birthday, my wife got me an oversized reprint of the article on a beautiful wood plaque. I've got that hanging promiently on the wall of my man-cave.
Old 03-30-11, 09:33 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To bring back what robertrios was asking. To have the top down with all 4 windows up:

Turn on the car
Put the top down - quarter windows also go down
Turn off and on the car
Triple press window - quarter windows go up while top is down
Old 03-30-11, 10:44 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

seems like a pain in the butt but i guess its better than nothing! I gotta get out to the bank and get a cashiers check for this thing...ive been dragging my feet all week....so sleepy!
Old 03-30-11, 10:58 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

new question say i did raise the 1/4 glass the way explained. Then i park in a spot, do i need to turn off the car before i can put the top and windows back up?

Quick Reply: I am ordering a LuxLink to lower the top remotely -- rear window option worth it?