SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Hit a Deer, or hit by a deer

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 08:33 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a Deer, or hit by a deer

Driving up US17 tonight, for those of you in FL, two deer jumped into the road I almost missed them but 1 of them got me pretty bad on the drivers side front. What do the experts think were looking at cost wise? Just so I know what to look for when I get the estimates and submit it to my insurance, the bumper, fender, and hood are all really dented, and the headlight is cracked. The metal frame that the bumper is attached too also seems bent. Secondly the car was vibrating a lot more than normal after the accident so I am thinking something might be wrong with either the wheel or the axel…

Let me know what you guys think Thanks in advance!
Ill post pictures in the daylight!

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG]

Last edited by Jace_91; 03-21-11 at 06:52 AM. Reason: adding pictures!
Old 03-20-11, 08:44 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea post pics and dont drive it any more, god forbid the wheel comes flying off. Im guessing maybe something is bent or stuck under the car. My sister hit a deer on the Veterans Express Way in my dads 08 camry and it was not cheap at all. New bumper, front fender, windsheild, hood and a repaired front drivers door. I would say use insurance on this one or be ready to fork out $$$. In FL they cant raise your rates for hitting a deer its considered a comprehensive claim but you really need to file a police report ASAP for the insurance company to consider this a deer accident.
Old 03-20-11, 08:48 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Yeah, with my insurance we've had them for so long that part of our benefits is that they won't raise our rates for any accident, I was in the middle of nowhere basically at like 10pm, so I am going to file a police report first thing in the morning. And yes definitely going to be claiming on insurance.
Old 03-22-11, 12:25 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Any advice, what do I need to make sure I get on the insurance claim?
Old 03-22-11, 12:55 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW...what coincidence!

On Monday March 21st I was on my way to the airport in Vermont on our I-89 interstate when a deer jumped the guardrail right in front of me and there was nothing I could do...SMACK!!!!

Good thing I was driving my 2009 Nissan Titan. Called the police and game warden, then continued on with my trip to the airport. Truck drives fine, but when I got to the airport and parked the truck in the parking garage I could see the damage and it's quite extensive. The passenger front is smashed beyond recognition and then the dear must have bounced and then came back up off the road and hit the truck's rear door and bed. Insurance adjuster went to look at it and said from what he could see it would be at least $4500.00 to repair. YIKES!!!
Old 03-22-11, 04:47 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would guess it's about $3,000 worth of damage on the bodywork. Hard to say on the suspension.

My advice would be to take it to Lexus first and have them do the suspension work and have the insurance adjuster inspect it there with a Lexus mechanic, then go to a body shop. I was in an accident a few months ago and did it in reverse. I took it to the body shop first and they didn't catch all of the suspension work. Then when they got it over to Lexus, they had to have the adjuster come back out and approve additional repairs. That cost me a couple weeks having to wait on parts multiple times.
Old 03-22-11, 05:40 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From an adjusters perspective..you have a lot of damage there!

There can be hidden damages which are not going to be apparent until after they do the tear down.

Make sure you use either a Lexus approved shop . I say this because it is NOT a good idea to use the Insurance Company's " recommended " shops, unless the dealership agrees.

Matching Lexus paint, getting the right parts ( do not accept anything except OEM- original equipment manufacture), and getting a correct fit is not an easy job for just any shop to do.

You may have frame damage as well. Hopefully, the parts are all in the US.. if not..you could be in for a long wait.

If you have other questions, feel free to PM me.
Katy
Old 03-22-11, 06:39 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Any G/PG rated pictures of the deer?
Old 03-22-11, 06:52 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Didn't get any pics of the deer, it was night time, so I pulled over right after to assess the damage.. didn't see the deer in the road, guessing he ran off then died..[IMG]

heres another good picture where you can see how the inside of the light is shattered, and the frame work is bent.
Old 03-22-11, 09:30 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

time for an 06+ conversion