SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

What Kind Of Insurance Do You Have ? You Insured Your Mods Too ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 06:52 AM
SystemShok
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Kind Of Insurance Do You Have ? You Insured Your Mods Too ?

Since I am waiting patiently for my kit to arrive I was curious what kind of insurance do you all have ? I have full coverage but do you guys insure your rims, bodykit or any mods that you have on your car as well? I always wondered people who mod their car to the extreme like kits, wheels, air suspension, BBK, audio, turbo/FI is there a 'specialty' insurance for these kind of things ?

If you do have speciality insurance how much more is it compared to say just regular full coverage?
Old 03-29-11, 06:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I think as long as you keep receipts, invoices and evidence of upgrades, you can submit to you Insurance if something happens. Pictures help, too.

I do not think you need to upgrade your coverage. Check with your agent to be sure.
Old 03-29-11, 07:58 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My annual insurance is $600 for the SC. When I told my agent I had $3K rims the additional cost was $100! Considering stock rims are over $2K, I decided no, you can replace for stock and I'll take my chances and save $100/yr. That was 3 years ago, so so far I'm ahead $300. Unless you can get a better deal, I don't think its worth it.
Old 03-29-11, 10:38 AM
SystemShok
Driver

Thanks for the inputs.. Yeah I still have the receipts and stuff but thought people with extensive mods would have some kind of special insurance for it..

Solman, you insurance is cheeeap ! Damn..i think thats the cheapest i have seen ever on a luxury car
Old 03-29-11, 02:22 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

YES!! you NEED SPECIAL INSURANCE!
progressive etc can put ryders on it but they cap at $5000!! they tried writing me a policy and i have a 3 way call with and underwriter and agent because i was paying for a policy to cover 100k on my car and when i had an issue they bouced it. then offered a full refund.

INFINITY INSURANCE. call them. they are one of the few that do specialy cars that are not "hot rods". just write the policy, miles you drive annually (they dont check... so....) and as many pictures and receipts as you can muster.
you will thank me. I had to find out the hard way with my previous custom Widebody Supra. dont end up like me....
Old 03-29-11, 02:57 PM
SystemShok
Driver

Originally Posted by langsdale
YES!! you NEED SPECIAL INSURANCE!
progressive etc can put ryders on it but they cap at $5000!! they tried writing me a policy and i have a 3 way call with and underwriter and agent because i was paying for a policy to cover 100k on my car and when i had an issue they bouced it. then offered a full refund.

INFINITY INSURANCE. call them. they are one of the few that do specialy cars that are not "hot rods". just write the policy, miles you drive annually (they dont check... so....) and as many pictures and receipts as you can muster.
you will thank me. I had to find out the hard way with my previous custom Widebody Supra. dont end up like me....
This is exactly the info I'm looking for !! thanks !!
Old 03-29-11, 04:16 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

WELCOME. call an independent broker for your insurance in the future. not allstate. or progressive. call a group that deals in multiple insurance. YES they get kickbacks from specific insurance, but they HAVE to tell you the accurate rates and can guide you to which works for your application
but i stand behind Infinity
Old 03-29-11, 05:18 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some really good companies out there. AMICA is one, but they are not the cheapest. But they are top rated every year.

Katy
Old 03-29-11, 07:03 PM
brian964
Driver School Candidate

In my experience it is cheaper getting quotes online. Some of the bigger companies offer discounts when ordering online, because it is less work for them. But to be safe you could compare quotes online, pick the best offer and try a local agency to see if they can match it or do better.

I recommend this site for online comparing: http://www.quotes-center.com/auto-insurance-calculator
Old 03-30-11, 07:29 AM
SystemShok
Driver

Thanks for the tips/advice everyone ! Going to make some calls to see how much I am looking at. Since I do not drive my car too often I have to weigh in to see if the price justifies the coverage.