SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Maintenance Light Flashing after Starting Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 08:58 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Maintenance Light Flashing after Starting Car?

When I start my 2006 SC430 the maintenance light will flash 5 or 6 times before going out. I don't recall this occurring before, therefore, is this normal or is there a solution to fix this.
Old 03-29-11, 09:13 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

I did some searching and someone said that this occurs prior to scheduled maintenance like an oil change, but I have no maintenance scheduled. I simply reset the light and turned off all maintenance schedules. I hope this solves the problem.

PS - This is how I reset the blinking maintenance light:

1. Make certain the odometer is set to Odo (not trip A or B)
2. Insert your key but do not turn on (yet)
3. Press and hold the odometer reset button
4. Turn on the key but do not start the engine, continue holding the Odo reset
5. The odometer should blink or show dashes (mine showed increasing dashes)
6. After a few seconds, the Maint Reqd will be reset (the odo went all dashes)
Old 03-29-11, 11:09 PM
crc333
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is normal and you should consider bringing the car in for its maintenance. I believe the light will go from flashing to solid and stay on when the car is running. If you just reset the system all your doing is resetting the time interval for the next maintenance window. How many miles do you have on the car and when was that last service?
Old 03-30-11, 05:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Learned something new again. Now I will not panic when I see the thing flashing. Nice feature though, but I think it is a scare tactic for you to bring it in to the dealer, LOL!
Old 03-30-11, 07:38 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

CRC, It's a 2006 with about 28,500 miles on it. It was recently at a dealer where they diagnosed it for something else. The first time the Maintenance Required light came on I shut off all electronic maintenance schedules. I have already completed the 30,000 mile recommended maintenance checklist, therefore, it's difficult for me to understand what maintenance could or would be triggered in the near future, other than the 30,000 mile maintenance. It appears that the dealer turned general maintenance back on, but did not put any dates into any specific modules, brakes, oil service, etc. Perhaps it automatically triggers 30,000, 60,000 mile maintenance intervals, etc., when the on/off switch is "on" for overall maintenance.

Last edited by sixonemale; 03-30-11 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 06:51 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a way for the Stealership to insure that they have plenty of plastic running through their credit card machines on a continuous basis. For some people this gives them a feeling of security that their car (and they) are being taken care of.

$180 oil changes don't work for me even with a complimentary latte and cookie!
However, to each his own as they say!
The following users liked this post:
JHNSTN (03-06-21)
Old 03-06-21, 05:51 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

I tried the above did on my 2002, but it appears to do nothing, but doing the following did do something...

1. Odometer reading odometer miles, not trip A or trip B
2. Turn off key
3. Press and hold BOTH odometer and reset buttons.
4. Turn key to on
5. Continue holding BOTH odometer and reset buttons until small rectangular, amber light starts flashing in instrument cluster.
6. Release buttons (light continues flashing)
7. Turn key off.

I don't know if that is the correct sequence, but it certainly does something. My service indicator light was NOT on before doing the above. So, I cannot verify if the interval warning reset.
Also, the odometer display never waivered from displaying total mileage.
Old 03-06-21, 09:45 PM
JHNSTN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often do you change your oil?
Old 03-06-21, 10:45 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

It’s just a oil change reminder. The maintenance light will illuminate every 5000 miles if you have not change your oil.
Old 03-07-21, 05:30 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
It’s just a oil change reminder. The maintenance light will illuminate every 5000 miles if you have not change your oil.
I am pretty sure you really meant it goes out when you reset the reminder, not when you change the oil. Changing the oil will not reset the light. I feel certain that is what you meant, I just wanted to clarify.
Old 03-07-21, 07:19 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I am pretty sure you really meant it goes out when you reset the reminder, not when you change the oil. Changing the oil will not reset the light. I feel certain that is what you meant, I just wanted to clarify.
If you change the oil within 5k miles, the light will not illuminate. When it does, then you have to reset it.
Old 03-07-21, 08:45 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
If you change the oil within 5k miles, the light will not illuminate. When it does, then you have to reset it.
I think we are saying the same thing. To be clear, changing the oil has nothing to do with turning the light off. You can change the oil and the light will stay on. It is only when you reset the light by holding the button on the dash that the light goes out.
Old 03-07-21, 08:50 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I think we are saying the same thing. To be clear, changing the oil has nothing to do with turning the light off. You can change the oil and the light will stay on. It is only when you reset the light by holding the button on the dash that the light goes out.
From the '06 owners manual:

"Resetting the engine oil replacement reminder (U.S.A. only)

Turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position with the odometer reading shown. (→P.91)

Turn the ignition key to the “ON” position while holding down the

“RESET” button.

Hold down the button more than 5 seconds.

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue flashing."

I'm in full agreement with you that the light must manually be reset after changing the oil, it is not triggered off by a mileage interval. That would not make sense, since driving conditions can have a direct effect on how often you may or may not have to change the oil.
Old 03-07-21, 05:15 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

To my experience, if I changed the oil before 5k miles or before the warning light illuminated, it will never lit. If the oil does not get changed when 5k miles elapsed, then the warning light will lit and must be reset after the oil changed. This is true with all Toyota vehicles that I’ve owned.
You guys can verify this next time you change the oil.
Old 03-08-21, 04:59 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

After searching the web I will agree the light comes on at 5,000 miles, but I'm not reading about an automatic reset in the owner's manual or on the web. I always had to reset my '06 SC manually. From yourmechanic.com:

"How Toyota’s maintenance reminder system works and what to expect

The sole function of Toyota’s maintenance reminder system is to remind the driver to take their car in for an oil change. The computer system tracks the engine miles from the time it was reset, and the light will trigger after 5,000 miles of driving. Since the system is not algorithm driven, like other more advanced maintenance reminder systems, it does not take into account the differences between light and extreme driving conditions, load weight, towing, or weather conditions, which are important variables that affect oil life.

Because of this, the maintenance light might not be effective for those who tow often, or often drive in extreme weather conditions and need the oil changed more frequently. That said, it might not be effective for those who drive on the freeway all the time in fair weather conditions. This is not to say that a driver should neglect the maintenance light altogether. Be aware of your driving conditions throughout the year and, as necessary, have a professional determine whether or not your vehicle needs servicing depending on your specific, most frequent driving conditions."

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...rent-minderler

Quick Reply: Maintenance Light Flashing after Starting Car?