SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

One last double check about black...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02 | 09:33 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Default One last double check about black...

So it is Clearcoat right? Just making sure. I got that impression from reading threads on the board but my salesman insists All blacks are paint without clearcoat.

Anyone regret black? It will be garage kept but a daily driver. I have a silver S2000 I'm getting rid of and an old Silver accord and it's really hard to mess up those colors even if u try. I have a black 2002 accord with a pearlized finish and what bothers me the most are all the chips on the hood with the white primer showing thru. I know about xpel and stoneguard so I guess that will help.

Really want something with a clearcoat. I'm thinking about flying to Texas for a white or silver but don't know if it's worth the trip. The lexus dealer here gave a veiled threat that the service isn't as "top notch" if you buy the car out of state and service it at their dealership and they are the only game in town. Example... I bring in the car for routine maintainance and they won't give me a loaner if I didn't buy it from them, but warranty work they must because corporate says so. Is that B.S. or for real? What if I lived out of town and bought the car and then moved here a year later, I'd get sub par service? I think he didn't wanna drop the price any more than he was.

Fulmitz

by the way the dealer in Houston said they could do $58K

Last edited by fulmitz; 08-28-02 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-28-02 | 09:39 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

First off, don't get a black car if your a fanatic. I am, I do my own detailing, etc and will NEVER own another black automobile. I don't care what the other guys here say........black is the most difficult color to maintain.......period.

As far as the dealer service......Lexus is supposed to stand behind each car they sell regardless of the dealership, I bought mine in CT and take it to Long Island for service. The treat me the same as if I purchased the car there and also give me a loaner.

Go for the Lex in Tex......get the silver or the white......no black !

Fo those of you that disagree........tough.
Old 08-28-02 | 10:25 PM
fulmitz
Driver

C'mon Larry, don't be shy, tell me what you really think! Thanks for the info. It's been weighing heavy on me. $2000 is a lot of money and when you work it out over the lease it's about $50 a month. But then there is finding the time to fly to Texas and drive 5-8 hours back during the work week (weekends aren't an option for me)

Fulmitz
Old 08-29-02 | 01:08 AM
ahnj
Driver School Candidate

I brought my GS400 from NYC in early 2000. It's been serviced by two SF/Bay Area lexus dealers without any issues.

The dealer's service dept gets paid by Toyota regardless.

I plan to purchase my sc430 from a local Bay Area dealer only if they offer the best price. Otherwise, i'm driving/flying down to Southern Califorinia.

Jim
Old 08-29-02 | 03:15 AM
mellowyellow
Driver School Candidate

Default Stay away!

I bought a black SC430 and traded it in 3 months later, mostly because of the dealer induced swirl marks. I suggest you take a close look at other black cars at your dealership in bright sunlight. Everyone I saw had some amount of swirl marks, and some were just awful.

I will never own another black car. It just takes one idiot to wash it with a dirty sponge, and it will never be the same. Anything you use from then on will only fill in the scratches temporarily, and will eventually fade. The only way to really get rid of them once they appear is fine wet sanding, which is risky unless you find the right person, and it can only be done once or twice before your clear coat is compromised.

I made a $10,000 mistake buying black, don't do the same.

Black is a beautiful color on the SC430, but only when it is clean and swirl free.........which is never!

(just my humble opinion)
Old 08-29-02 | 03:44 AM
mellowyellow
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Stay away!

Originally posted by genearch

I'd beg to differ with the opinion that black can never be swirl free. Put mine in the brightest direct sunlight and you won't find any swirls or spiderwebs from any angle. Put it in the night under city lights either driving or in a restaurant parking lot and it'll get plenty of ooh's and aah's....

Personally, I think you sold yourself short by getting rid of the SC430 because of swirls. Any competient detailer would have had it looking near perfect.
I thought the same thing, that a competent detailer should be able to repair the damage. I took my car to what is supposedly the best detail shop in Phoenix, spent $300, and the car came back to me looking perfect. That lasted about two days, then the swirls started to re-appear. That's wonderful that your car has no swirl marks, neither did mine when I first got it. I am still kicking myself for letting the dealership wash it the first time.

Also, I must admit that mine is probably a somewhat extreme case. My dealership tried to remedy minor swirl marks from a dirty sponge with an orbital sander.... Twice. These people were complete idiots. If anyone comes near your black paint job with an orbital sander, shoot first and ask questions later. No matter how nice they are or how sure of themselves, shoot them.

After two passes under an orbital sander my paint job was competely ruined in my eyes. Which is a shame because I am one of the those who always hand washed my cars, and I use Zaino products. Never any issues with previous cars.

I guess if you make sure no one else ever touches your car, you might be ok if you are willing to take the time to wash it correctly. Of course, it will be dusty 10 minutes after you're done.

Old 08-29-02 | 09:23 AM
fulmitz
Driver

How long does Blitz One Grand last? I've found meguires doesn't last that long on garage kept S2000 and Zaino lasts really long (over 6 months on my black 2002 Accord left outside). Actually on the accord the water still beeded up to fine dots and would roll off when driving but swirls started comming back so I just redid the car 6 months after 1st 3 coats of Z5 and 2 coats of Z2 and saw tons of chips in the paint (I guess from neglect due to the zaino's appearance of longevity) since I only washed it every 2-4 weeks. Plus with Zaino, it lasted so long, the first time I used it I had water spots on my car I didn't notice and now they are Zaino'd in! How do you get that stuff off?

Fulmitz
Old 08-29-02 | 11:21 AM
bengreen
Rookie

Default Shine, and wasted college.

For those of you fellow "Lexors" with light color cars (my is white), check out Pinnacle Paste Glaz.....followed by Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze....talk about brilliant, deep shine!!! Outstanding...also.. Did I waste 4 plus years in college? I can't figure out what is the function/purpose of the "Passenger" 'thing' above the glove compartment....I don't think I need a reminder that thats the passenger side of the car!!! Any thoughts out there? ...Be kind, I embarrass easily
Old 08-29-02 | 12:25 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

I have never seen a black car that looks "perfect" for more than 30 seconds. Even if you are a fanatic, it's still a nightmare.
Old 08-29-02 | 03:54 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Touche' !

There is truly nothing more beautiful than a shiney, swirl free, spotless black automobile. Especially a Lexus. NO one does paint better than them.......including MB, BMW and Audi.
Old 08-29-02 | 06:11 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Well, they came down on the price by 1000 so I got it for 59K even and I leased to get the tax write off. Caved in to my wife (big shocker there) and went with Black/Saddle since I didn't have time to go to texas for Silver/Saddle and haven't seen that in person so might not like it. Saw a white today with saddle on the road and while the paint sparkes it doesn't do justice to the car like black or silver, JMHO.

Fulmitz

p.s. I told them not to wash and wax it as I"ll do that myself, hopefully cutting down on swirl marks.
Old 08-29-02 | 07:39 PM
tfischer

Default Mine is black

The black is some trouble to keep clean, but when washed and layered up with some Zaino, the results are spectacular. I always get comments whereever I go, as the car is still uncommon and much admired.

The attached link will take you to some recent photos which (especially 6 and 7) show the high reflectivity you can get from good, black paint that is well taken care of. (Keep the car out of the machine car washes.)

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=9997696...3&n=1260339587
Old 08-29-02 | 11:54 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Thanks,

Just got back from a wedding and everyone made me show them the car! I didn't have the dealer wash or wax cause I'm trying to cut down on swirls. How many coats of Z5 did you use and how many of Z2? I have a garage and was thinking of going carnuba since the car will be housed anyway. I Zaino'd my 2002 Nighthawk Black Pearl Accord and it's good but swirls return after a month or so anyway but protection lasts. It sits outside unlike the SC.

Fulmitz
Old 08-30-02 | 07:55 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Genearch ...

I certainly would not dispute the beauty of a black car. My original first choice was black/black which I wanted so bad I could taste it. But good sense prevailed and I changed it to silver/black.

Because of some back problems, I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain a black car the way it should be maintained. Fortunately, I happen to like silver - I've had three silver cars in my adult life and liked them all. As I've said here before, they look good even when they're dirty and they're dazzling when clean. They *never* look bad.