ZAINO For Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11 | 10:04 PM
Rancher
Rookie

Default ZAINO For Dummies

I Found this post on the Acura forum...

Zaino Instructions 101

This thread is intended to compliment the numerous others threads that already instruct you on how to use the Zaino line of products. Although Zaino, in my opinion, is the best polish you can purchase, it is also intimidating to use because of the complicated names given to Zaino products and because their instructions are somewhat confusing. If you read and want to use the “clay bar” for example, your knee-jerk reaction after reading the company’s instruction, may be to skip this step and hope it all works out, but if you give my instructions a read, you may change your mind and do it right the first time out.

By the time you finish reading this thread, you will have a higher comfort level on how use and perform the Zaino process. I will painstakingly explain what each step is and how to apply for your own use.

The Zaino instructions are written by folks that make polish and that’s what they do well, without question. But have that same group of folks write instructions on how to use their products, and you’re quickly lost. In fact, if you look at the product line: Z-1, Z-2, Z- 5 and so on and so forth, they’re not even named or numbered in the ordered for intended use, they just plucked numbers from the sky and thus the names have no bearing for the nomenclature in which they are named after.

First, purchase the entire Z-Kit ($90 for the kit), it has everything you will need (products are listed below) to maintain your vehicle’s paint and the paint of 10 or your best friends car’s, if you so desire. Also while your at it, get at least one extra bottle of Z-6 (spray on gloss enhancer).

Lets start by listing the complete Zaino Kit in the order they are to be utilized:

1. Z-7 (Liquid Car Soap) simply put, its car wash/shampoo, when mixed with water, this is what you will wash you car with week-in and week-out.

2. Z-18 (aka Clay Bar) you get two yellow bars they appear to be like “play-dough” don’t be intimidated and don’t skip this process. The clay bar removes contaminates and other debris from your cars paint. I’ll explain in a minute how to use this product.

3. Z-2 & Z-5 (this is the Car Polish) , Z-2 is intended for vehicles with clear-coats and Z-5 is intended for vehicles with both clear-coats & regular paint surfaces, but adds a swirl remover. It should be noted that you should use Z-5 first “if” and only if, you have light scratches; since most of us have new cars we would go right to the Z-2. Z-2 is a finer polish than Z-5, so Z-2 has better optical properties, but Z-5 has more power when it comes to removing imperfections in your paint. Considers Z-2 and Z-5 brothers and sisters, you will want to spend most of your time with the sweet more refined sister (Z-2) but from time-to-time, when the going gets tough you’ll need to hang out with big brother (Z-5).

4. ZFX (Polish Hardener) Here is another interesting little devolvement that Zaino has designed. ZFX is a “hardener” that allows either Z-2 or Z-5 polishes to dry in about half the usual time. ZFX comes in a kit that includes a tiny vile (only 2ml) of blue liquid, it reminds me of the Locktite product. When you purchase ZFX you also get four 2 ounce, empty-clear-bottles used for mixing either Z-2 or Z-5 (polish). Mix only prior to the intended use. Add 4-5 drops of ZFX for each 1 ounce of polish you plan on using. Your polish will harden faster allowing you to remove the wax in about 30-60 minutes for the first-coat and at least 60 plus minutes plus for the second-coat. I don’t recommend applying more then two coats in a weekend, but you can. You will only need to use one of the 2 oz bottles at one-time, it seems they give you extra bottles in case you don’t rinse the bottle prior to the "activated" polish hardening. Zaino states hardening will take place within 12 hours after being mixed. Also, these convenient little bottles fit in your back pocket, so when polishing your car, you’re not hanging on to a large bottle of polish, wondering where to put the bottle down. ZFX replaces the original Z-1 that had a different application all together, so I wont’ address Zaino’s Z-1 in this thread.

5. Z-6 (aka Gloss Enhancer) This is a clear watery spray that is used between coats of polish. It’s like adding liquid “wet” to your car. The polishes (Z-2 & Z-5) deepen the paint and Z-6 makes it look wetter. Again, I recommend getting two bottles of this “Jewel in the crown” of the Zaino product line. Some have stated that they’ve diluted Z-6 with distilled water so it will be less expensive to use. Draw you own conclusion if indeed that is worth the extra savings. Like they say, don’t fool with Mother Nature, plus you only use about 1 to 2 ounces of the product, per application anyway.

Now that will all know what we have, lets talk about how to use Zaino for the first time:

1. Wash car with Z-7, the liquid car shampoo (follow instructions on the label). I washed my car twice, cleaning out both the rinse water, and soapy water buckets between washes. I want my car to be squeaky clean prior to taking the Clay Bar to it. If you’re going to clay your car (and you should prior to starting the Zaino process for the first-time) then go ahead, wash it twice.

2. Using the Clay Bar (Z-18), although this seems to be the most intimidating part of the process, you can clay your entire car in about 15 minutes and here’s how it works. After washing, leave your car super-wet and pull vehicle into a covered garage. Prepare a spray bottle with one cap full of Z-7 for every 12 ounces of water, this will be the lubricant used when rubbing the clay bar on your car. The clay bar runs over you car like your using a bar of soap on your body when you’re in the shower (sans the bubbles and foam). Place the Clay Bar in your hand and while the car is wet, gently rubbing back and forth in one direction, in a straight line (no circles), it should slide easily across the paint, if not, immediately spray the location you’re working on using the pre-mixed Z-7 solution in the spray bottle. As you rub, you will quickly get the hang of using the clay bar. If you’re unsure, begin by claying the roof of the car. Also you may notice that sometimes you come across spots that feel sticky, those are imperfections or debris in the paint, give those areas an extra 10 seconds of rubbing (adding extra lubricant of course) and they should smooth out right away. By the time your finished the clay bar will have changed shape and may be very thin and as big as your hand, no problem. Take a look and you’ll see black lines in the bar, that’s simply the stuff plain washing can’t remove. If you drop your clay bar, the parties over, throw it away. If you know your car has lots of bugs or other particles problems, use tar remover prior to washing your car.

3. Rewash car with blue liquid Dawn Dishwashing Soap, for two reasons: 1) To remove the clay bar residue and 2) Dawn will remove the old wax from your paint.

4. Dry car thoroughly with highest quality towel you can get. I used a chammy and that worked well for me.

5. If you have a new car go right to the Z-2 (polish). Mix 4-5 drops of ZFX and 1 ounce of Z-2 in one of the bottles included in the ZFX Kit, I like to mix just one ounce at a time. Place cotton Zaino applicator in your hand; make it moist by spraying Z-6 or by using droplets of water. Squirt a “dime-size” amount on the applicator (you can rub the polish around the applicator if you like, at first) and pick an area to clean, do one area at a time, hood, fender, door etc. Let the entire car completely dry which should take at least 30 to 60 minutes on an average day. If it’s cold or moist, you’ll be waiting a long, long, time. It should be noted: You don’t need to use the ZFX drops; ZFX only lessons the time it takes for the polish to dry. Side Note: If it’s a super hot summer day, skip the ZFX additive all together

Now here’s the trick. Don’t use more then 1 ounce of polish per coat on an average sized vehicle, if you do, you’re using “way” too much polish. Zaino works best when applied as lightly as possible, in fact my car barely had a haze on it after applying polish. Moreover, the first coat, I only used 3/4 of an ounce of polish and the second coat I tired to use an entire ounce. I notice a big difference in how hard the second coat was too remove only because I used that extra 1/4 ounce of polish; if you use just 3/4 of an ounce your right on target to getting the best results.

6. Remove the polish, by using an old soft cotton t-shirts, what can be softer? Zaino polish goes on easier and come off much easier they your typical wax; truly the work up front pays off in the long run.

7. Let the car sit for at least 15 minutes and then start spot spraying and wiping the car with Z-6 Gloss Enhancer.

8. Let the car sit for at least 30 minutes and apply the second coat of polish. The second coat should stay on for at least 60 minutes. For best results, don’t apply more then two coats of polish per weekend. Note: While your waiting for you car to set-up, you can vacuum your car, wipe down the interior or clean inside windows etc.

9. Let the car dry for another 30 plus minutes and re-apply Z-6 spray. You’re done!
Old 04-10-11 | 10:01 AM
scdroptop

Great post! Don't forget the q-tips, floss (to get in between your emblems) and compressed air to dry tough spots and to clean the vents, LOL!
Old 04-10-11 | 11:35 PM
sabyrzhan
Driver School Candidate

great write up!!!